British Speedway Forum

11 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Neither is the London Olympic Stadium in the best of areas, but there's not a chance it'll be held at Wembley. Quite aside from the cost of renting a stadium (reputedly 500-750k per day + 10% of gate receipts + costs) that would never be filled, it would be a squeeze to get a track in without substantial and expensive modifications. 

It's also why there's never been an athletics event held there. 

58 minutes ago, longmeadow said:

Having reflected on the whole cardiff 2022 experience im amazed at some of the comments on this forum. No we are not going to tottenham or the o2 as they are premier league clubs who do not want there ground digging up for a one off motorcycle event. I attended wembley three times and yes 1981 was iconic but the track in 75 and 78 was awful. Built around the football pitch where riders didnt know whether to turn left or right and was an absolute dust bowl. Yes there maybe of only been 19000 on saturday but please explain how that amount of fans get into the nss. There is no infrastructer at belle vue. Its miles from the city centre and very little to do before the meeting to make a day of the premier event in british speedway. Lots of things played a part in this years low attendance, fuel costs, train strikes etc but as a british speedway fan im proud to say i was there for my seventeenth gp to watch dan bewley produce a bit of magic. Also i dont remember bomber moaning about the track rutting up in 2007. Costs buy a cheap ticket mine was 22.50 and had a perfect view. Hotels forget it student accomadation en suite 30 pound a night. Food and drink there are seven spoons in cardiff . Doom bar 2.49. I work in a four star hotel. We charge 4.90. Shop around . Cardiff is here to stay and thank god because it is the best weekend of sport if people would only stop knocking it. One down side . Why could we only find one british reserve on sunday. Poor effort.

Increasingly baffled as to why so many on here are so desperate to defend their precious Cardiff that they'll rubbish everything about Belle Vue  - 1 of the best things to happen to British Speedway in the last twenty years

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, longmeadow said:

At what point point did i rubbish belle vue. It doesnt have the capacity to hold 20000 fact.

There is no infrastructer at belle vue. Its miles from the city centre and very little to do before the meeting to make a day of the premier event in british speedway.

I'd call that rubbishing it.  None of the above is relevant.  Speedway is about RACING.  Belle Vue provides it by the bucketful.  Cardiff hasn't produced a single decent moment in 20 stagings.  End of story.

Update on Tai, taken from Speedway UK page on FB...

UPDATE ON TAI WOFFINDEN
'Tai Woffinden has undergone comprehensive cardiovascular and cardiopulmonary exercise tests.They were carried out at the University Teaching Hospital and the Military Teaching Hospital in Wrocław. All the conducted studies didn't reveal any abberations from the norm. Therefore, there are no contraindications for the rider to participate in training sessions and the Sunday league match' – Mirosław Gibek, the club doctor of Sparta Wrocław.

1 hour ago, R87 said:

There is no infrastructer at belle vue. Its miles from the city centre and very little to do before the meeting to make a day of the premier event in british speedway.

I'd call that rubbishing it.  None of the above is relevant.  Speedway is about RACING.  Belle Vue provides it by the bucketful.  Cardiff hasn't produced a single decent moment in 20 stagings.  End of story.

Sorry but I agree with OP,  it is wholly relevant. It is the experience.  Tension and exciting speedway is not all about the fastest guy missing the start. 

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, R87 said:

Cardiff hasn't produced a single decent moment in 20 stagings.

What a sad person you are...

Dan Bewley winning wasn't a "decent moment"? Chris Harris' win in the final wasn't a "decent moment"? Rickardsson's incredible ride in 2005 wasn't a "decent moment"?

If speedway really was "all about the racing", then you have absolutely no reason to follow the sport, although it's obvious you don't know a decent moment when you see one...

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

To get 80k there must have been some serious promotion - but again Wembley is not in the best of areas, a bit like the NSS.  Now Tottenham stadium I was impressed with when I went there to see GnR. 

I was impressed by that stadium too but the area surrounding the stadium was very dodgy, still amazed we had a car to come back too and we were able to walk back to it without being mugged 

5 hours ago, R87 said:

Increasingly baffled as to why so many on here are so desperate to defend their precious Cardiff that they'll rubbish everything about Belle Vue  - 1 of the best things to happen to British Speedway in the last twenty years

I’ve said it before but track apart I find belle vue NSS very underwhelming but it is one of the best things to happen to British speedway in the last 20 years, I’ve only been there as a fan twice since it opened as it doesn’t make me want to go there, I’ve been there about 6 times working and on 2 of those occasions I finished the job and went home instead of staying for the meeting, I just find the place has no soul, the racing is great there but for me it must have that something and I don’t think it does, would I go to a GP there ? No I don’t think so, I didn’t go to the SON meetings there and I usually go to that sort of meeting, I preferred the dog track next door tbh but maybe that is because I used to enjoy the belle vue v wolves meetings there and later on I loved riding it but that’s rose tinted glasses I suppose, this is the first year I didn’t go to cardiff and although I kind of missed the day meeting friends I’m so glad I didn’t pay to watch that, it was awful and watching on tv I was bored, great win for Dan bewley but I don’t think even he realises that his win has probably saved Cardiff’s life as a speedway venue because up to that moment the end was nigh, Phil morris was in Birmingham yesterday , was he checking out a new venue ? 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

I've seen a few comments along the lines of Bewley's win having saved Cardiff. I agree it saved the occasion this year, but I wonder if it will work for or against the event next year?

Yes, some will return to see if he (or another Brit) can win it again, but I expect for others they no longer have the fear of missing out on a British win having seen it this year so perhaps psychologically easier to take a break from it next year?

Edited by Moonfish

16 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

To get 80k there must have been some serious promotion - but again Wembley is not in the best of areas, a bit like the NSS.  Now Tottenham stadium I was impressed with when I went there to see GnR. 

I also went to see GnR, lovely stadium... bugger to get to!

11 minutes ago, iainb said:

I also went to see GnR, lovely stadium... bugger to get to!

Oh we drove and parked 10 minutes walk away. Plenty of food choices on the walk in and home in and hour and a half as it was right near the main road. 

The only reason I would go to a GP is to see the best riders in the World giving their all on decent track.That doesn’t happen at Cardiff.
Let’s be honest it’s a ritual and a social week end for the majority of the GB fans.The spectacle on TV doesn’t do the sport any favours when the track is so poor.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, longmeadow said:

No we are not going to tottenham or the o2 as they are premier league clubs who do not want there ground digging up for a one off motorcycle event.

The pitches are not dug up but pallets are laid onto the pitch and the track is built on that

14 hours ago, auntie doris said:

There was a great pass near the end when the water tractor overtook the grading tractor.:D In the Star today" expecting riders to perform to the best of their abilities on that track was like asking the Bake Off finalists to produce a cake without any flour or sugar."A large number of big stones were found on the surface.

That doesn't appear to be an option here: 1560212561844441088https://twitter.com/SpeedwayGP/status/15602125618444410881560212561844441088

14 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

How many GP venues used since 1995 have a roof?. How many WF venues had a roof?. How many World Championship events over the decades were staged in stadia with a roof? Too much emphasis is placed on having a stadium with a roof. Just my opinion of course.

From memory: Cardiff, Norway, Warsaw and the one in Germany that was called off

13 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Neither is the London Olympic Stadium in the best of areas. Quite aside from the cost of renting a stadium (reputedly 500-750k per day + 10% of gate receipts + costs) that would never be filled, it would be a squeeze to get a track in without substantial and expensive modifications. 

It's also why there's never been an athletics event held there. 

It has great transport links and there's quite a big shopping mall adjacent to the site... and there's also the Olympic Park

"It's also why there's never been an athletics event held there." erm... the 2012 Olympics and:

Although West Ham United are the primary tenants, the stadium's operators arrange many other events to take place there.

Athletics[edit]

Anniversary Games[edit]

250px-David_Weir_London_2012.jpg

David Weir broke the World Record in the men's T54 mile

On 24 January 2013, it was confirmed that the London Athletics Grand Prix, a Diamond League event, would be switched to the stadium.[187] In February 2013, it was announced that it would also hold a Paralympic athletics event on 28 July.[188] In April Sainsbury's were announced as sponsors and the event was renamed the "Anniversary Games".[189][190] At the event, David Weir set a world record for the T54 mile.[191]

The London Grand Prix was scheduled to move permanently to the stadium in 2016. However, due to the 2015 Rugby World Cup taking place in the stadium, using the original seating configuration, the opportunity came to move the Grand Prix to the stadium a year early, again under the name of the Anniversary Games.[192][193][194][195][196] During the 2015 events national records were set by Dafne Schippers (100 m), Dina Asher-Smith (100 m),[197] Shara Proctor (long jump),[198] while Georgina Hermitage (400 m T37) and Sophie Hahn (100 m T38) set world records.[199]

The Muller Anniversary Games, the fourth-anniversary event, took place in the stadium on 22–23 July 2016. The IPC Grand Prix events were incorporated alongside Diamond League events on the second day of the meet.[200] At the event, Kendra Harrison broke the women's 100 m hurdles world record, a time which has existed for 28 years.[201]

The 2017 Muller Anniversary Games was shortened to a one-day event on Sunday 9 July 2017.[202] Its move to an earlier time of the month was due to the 2017 World Athletics Championships

The 2018 edition returned to a two-day event on its typical weekend of 21–22 July. Tom Bosworth set a world record in the 3000 metres walk.[203] Kare Adenegan and Sophie Hahn set world record times in the T34 100 m and T38 200 m events.[204] While Sifan Hassan set a Diamond League record in the women's mile.[205]

The 2019 event was held on 20–21 July.

The 2020 event was scheduled to take place earlier on the 4–5 July. However, the event was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The 2021 event, scheduled to be reduced to a single day and take place on 13 July[206] was not held at the stadium.[207] No event was held in 2022 either.

After a three-year hiatus, the event would return to the London Stadium as a single day event on 23 July 2023.[208]

2017 World Athletics and World Para Athletics Championships[edit]

London had bid to host the 2015 World Athletics Championships using the Olympic Stadium. It went up against Beijing's Olympic Stadium and the Polish city of Chorzów. However, the stadium had to withdraw its bid due to uncertainties arising out of the timing of the announcement of who would operate it after the Olympics, thus gifting Beijing the championships.[209] With issues resolved over its future, London again used the stadium to bid for the 2017 World Athletics Championships.[210] The bid was made official in August with Lord Coe personally submitting the bid a few weeks later at the 2011 World Athletic Championships in Daegu which was supported by London's Mayor Boris Johnson and the British Government.[211] On 11 November 2011, the IAAF officially awarded the 2017 World Championships to London.[212] The World Para Athletics Championships (formerly the IPC Athletics World Championships) were planned to take place a month before the able-bodied event[213] and were formally confirmed for the stadium in December 2012.[214] The 2017 able-bodied athletics event was the final track championship for Mo Farah[215] and Usain Bolt.[216]

The World Para Athletics Championships were held between 14 and 23 July 2017, with 800,000 tickets available across 16 sessions. The IAAF World Championships followed between 4–13 August 2017 with 700,000 tickets available. 3,300 athletes from 200 countries competed for 690 medals across 245 events.[217]

2018 Athletics World Cup[edit]

In February 2018, London Stadium was announced as the venue for the inaugural Athletics World Cup. The event was held on 14 and 15 July.[218]

8 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Oh we drove and parked 10 minutes walk away. Plenty of food choices on the walk in and home in and hour and a half as it was right near the main road. 

Yeah... didn't fancy roaming the streets as a lone traveller in an unfamiliar area late(ish) at night so opted to park out in the burbs and tube it in. Trains were on strike (again!) that day, wasn't sure I'd be out to get the last train anyway... nearest tube station was a 30 minute walk away... and GnR cut their set short by an hour. Not been a great year for big stadium events for me :(

19 minutes ago, iainb said:

From memory: Cardiff, Norway, Warsaw and the one in Germany that was called off

Parken in Copenhagen and Friends Arena in Stockholm also had roofs.

• Like 1