British Speedway Forum

Another sad loss...

One of those almost unsung riders when compared to the 'superstars' of the 70's and 80's, who always gave 100% and who could beat the best, and often did..

A true crowd pleaser...

R.I.P. Big Al...

• Like 1

That's very sad to hear. A proper racer in every sense of the word.

For me and other Aces fans, he was often a thorn in our side through Cradley's dominant years. But even in opposition, you couldn't help but admire his no frills, 100% commitment for club and country at all times.

Sincere condolences to his nearest and dearest at this sad time.

• Like 1

RIP Big Al, a great rider who could live with and beat the best, a Great servant to Cradley.

Very sad. Only ever saw him on TV and have some videos from 'The World of Sport' days, with Alan riding. RIP

Alan Grahame - a man who served all of his clubs with diligence and distinction over many years, and a true gentleman and family man. 

All of us will be shocked and saddened by his passing and especially the circumstances which resulted in his death.

May I add my sincerest condolences to his family and closest friends.

Rest in the peace of the Lord old friend.

• Like 2

What a difficult weekend for Fans of a certain era, firstly Colin and now Alan (Big al) as he became known, Alan never gave less than 100% for all the Teams that he rode for especially the Heathens over many years, I knew earlier in the week that it was touch and go with the serious injuries he received from an accident riding in a scramble meeting last weekend, RIP Big al, and condolences to his family who i know will be hard hit by his passing. 

Edited by heathen52

Sad news indeed.

May he RIP.

R.I.P. + Big Al.

R.I.P. big Al. Had the pleasure of spending some time with him in his workshop & house, a really nice guy.

Edited by Liontamer
Grammer

What awful news. Alan Grahame was my absolute favorite rider during my teenage years attending Cradley every week. Despite the world class superstars he was teammates with, Al was the man for me. Never let the team down. Always gave it everything. I only recently watched the terrific interview he did on You Tube with Lee Kilby and was reminded what a great guy he was. RIP Big Al. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bryce said:

What awful news. Alan Grahame was my absolute favorite rider during my teenage years attending Cradley every week. Despite the world class superstars he was teammates with, Al was the man for me. Never let the team down. Always gave it everything. I only recently watched the terrific interview he did on You Tube with Lee Kilby and was reminded what a great guy he was. RIP Big Al. 

Couldn't agree more. Was there a better British League partnership that Alan Grahame and Phil Collins? Together far outweighing the sum of their parts. 

A final memory was his one World Final appearance as reserve at 84 in Ullevi. 99% of the time, any reserve who is called upon tends to stay out of the way of those in the running.. Not Alan Grahame, his moment arrived and he was taking it...scoring 5 points from 2 races beating some of the pre event favourites Shawn Moran, Jan Andersson and Billy Sanders in the process. Never less than 100% effort. 

• Like 2

I understand it was a Sidecar Cross accident is that correct. Marvellous rider and always competitive.

I remember his first rides at Perry Barr in 73, progress the following year on the BSA then a JAWA, then exploding onto the scene in 75. His broken thigh in 76 halted his rise up the ranks, returned in 77 them moved to the Heathens and the rest is history. Such a shame to lose him.

My sympathies go out to the Grahame family. 

• Like 1