Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
SharpenRake

GB V Poland - Tuesday 19 October 2021 - Ashfield, Glasgow

Last night I used the Stream ticket to watch the GB v Poland match. Track was good, as was the racing, but really the track need some investment in lighting. First 2 bends were ok-ish, but bend 3/4 really dark. It’s now it is to riders that is important but viewing stream it seemed pretty mediocre. I know there was a couple of accidents, but that match was too strung out and really could have been over before the wet weather came. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Last night I used the Stream ticket to watch the GB v Poland match. Track was good, as was the racing, but really the track need some investment in lighting. First 2 bends were ok-ish, but bend 3/4 really dark. It’s now it is to riders that is important but viewing stream it seemed pretty mediocre. I know there was a couple of accidents, but that match was too strung out and really could have been over before the wet weather came. 

Thank you for buying the stream and am pleased you thought the track and racing was good. The efforts of the track staff and volunteers to get this meeting on were unbelievable. Regarding the lights they are ok for those riding and those viewing at the track. Filming always makes things look darker and quite frankly we shouldn't be racing in October so presumably the costs of further upgrading the lights on the off chance that a meeting occurs AND is filmed in October wouldn't be cost-effective. Re-the delays  I'm surprised by your comments as you actually watched the stream unlike others who just like to criticise. It may be that some of the info relayed to the crowd via the announcer wasn't repeated by the commentators, so here goes:

Heat 4 bad crash resulting in exclusion of Miskowiak and eventual withdrawal from meeting.

Heat 6 both GB riders fall, race stopped and re-run with the 2 remaining Poles.

Heat 9 delay as doctor assesses Miskowiak, plus member of crowd takes ill and is seen by para medic/first aiders. Also discussions between ref and clerk of the course re-decision of Polish TM as to whether Miskowiak would be replaced by the other U-21 rider in this race.

Heat 10 scary crash by Chris Harris, race stopped and re-run.

Heat 11 slight delay as  Poland forced, under rules, to only go with one rider (see Heat 9).

Heat 13 unfortunate delay as Team Managers work out riders for the remaining 3 heats. Under the rules Heat 15 would feature the two top scorers from both teams. In the case of GB this meant Bewley and Lambert or Harris - so not clear cut. In the case of Poland this meant Zmarzlik and Musielak or Janowski - also not clear cut. The remaining riders would then be selected for Heat 13 and 14 with the added issue of what happens to Miskowiak's 'ride' - presumably Lampart? And presumably both team managers were waiting to see what the other would do, after all both teams could still win! All the ref could do was constantly ask the Clerk of the Course to contact him and he did. I suppose he could have put the 2 minute warning on and excluded 'riders' under the 2 minute rule but he like everyone else wanted to see racing not exclusions! Meanwhile whilst all this was happening the rain started and we'll never know who was selected for Heats 14 and 15, unless someone who was in the pits can advise. I was hoping for a SoN rematch in a last heat decider, that would have been something else, but we'll never know.

• Thanks 2

From  watching the stream myself there seemed to be very little information  from the commentators about the delays unless I'm mistaken and missed it, I only learned that Miskowiak and a member of the crowd were seen to from reading this thread after the fact as at the time I too wondered why more urgency wasn't shown to get on with rain forecast at 9pm. 

A pity it couldn't t have gone the distance but perfectly understandable too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SharpenRake said:

Thank you for buying the stream and am pleased you thought the track and racing was good. The efforts of the track staff and volunteers to get this meeting on were unbelievable. Regarding the lights they are ok for those riding and those viewing at the track. Filming always makes things look darker and quite frankly we shouldn't be racing in October so presumably the costs of further upgrading the lights on the off chance that a meeting occurs AND is filmed in October wouldn't be cost-effective. Re-the delays  I'm surprised by your comments as you actually watched the stream unlike others who just like to criticise. It may be that some of the info relayed to the crowd via the announcer wasn't repeated by the commentators, so here goes:

Heat 4 bad crash resulting in exclusion of Miskowiak and eventual withdrawal from meeting.

Heat 6 both GB riders fall, race stopped and re-run with the 2 remaining Poles.

Heat 9 delay as doctor assesses Miskowiak, plus member of crowd takes ill and is seen by para medic/first aiders. Also discussions between ref and clerk of the course re-decision of Polish TM as to whether Miskowiak would be replaced by the other U-21 rider in this race.

Heat 10 scary crash by Chris Harris, race stopped and re-run.

Heat 11 slight delay as  Poland forced, under rules, to only go with one rider (see Heat 9).

Heat 13 unfortunate delay as Team Managers work out riders for the remaining 3 heats. Under the rules Heat 15 would feature the two top scorers from both teams. In the case of GB this meant Bewley and Lambert or Harris - so not clear cut. In the case of Poland this meant Zmarzlik and Musielak or Janowski - also not clear cut. The remaining riders would then be selected for Heat 13 and 14 with the added issue of what happens to Miskowiak's 'ride' - presumably Lampart? And presumably both team managers were waiting to see what the other would do, after all both teams could still win! All the ref could do was constantly ask the Clerk of the Course to contact him and he did. I suppose he could have put the 2 minute warning on and excluded 'riders' under the 2 minute rule but he like everyone else wanted to see racing not exclusions! Meanwhile whilst all this was happening the rain started and we'll never know who was selected for Heats 14 and 15, unless someone who was in the pits can advise. I was hoping for a SoN rematch in a last heat decider, that would have been something else, but we'll never know.

Thanks for the info. I happy to use the stream again. Hoe Glasgow gets a “good” meeting awarded for all the efforts…… GP Challenge would be good. They put it to rubbish tracks recently, be good to see it at a good one. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

every time i've been to Glasgow its been a good meeting, its a great racetrack and was really looking forward to the Poland team there, it didn't disappoint

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 10:29 PM, r8gdp said:

Hopefully we’ll have some more test matches next year would love to see the polish team at Sheffield 

6 riders brought up on fast big tracks riding on a fast big track.... YES PLEASE!

On 10/21/2021 at 12:48 PM, iainb said:

I thought it actually did run but just not in this country... as I seem to remember there being issues with riders that raced for more than one club

I think the European league still exists under the guise of Poland League 1 and 2  lol Wittstock, Landshut, Daugavpils and you could argue Ostrow

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

<> Meanwhile whilst all this was happening the rain started and we'll never know who was selected for Heats 14 and 15, unless someone who was in the pits can advise. I was hoping for a SoN rematch in a last heat decider, that would have been something else, but we'll never know.

Heat 14 would have been Brennan, Harris, Lampart & Janowski, with Bewley, Lambert, Zmarzlik & Musielak in Heat 15

• Thanks 1