British Speedway Forum
IronScorpion

Scunthorpe Scorpions 2022

other than me and @Paul Johnson do any other scunny fans go to away meetings or do us two just have sad enough lives to want to go to #### tracks like lesta etc

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, ScunnyDan said:

other than me and @Paul Johnson do any other scunny fans go to away meetings or do us two just have sad enough lives to want to go to #### tracks like lesta etc

Last couple of years done Birmingham,Leicester,Redcar ,Newcastle 

19 minutes ago, ScunnyDan said:

No it's mainly you mate :rofl:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ScunnyDan said:

Prev been to kings Lynn Redcar and Sheffield but def doing more this season 

3 hours ago, OldtimerRay said:

Having got to an age where I am not bothered anymore going to away matches, I think Aarnio will be a decent signing as he rides the Scunny track well even if his away form is a little suspect, after all we kept Auty for home matches as his away form was generally piss poor.

3 hours ago, BassoontheGasso said:

Couldn't agree more.

Home wins are key to keeping attendances up and keeping the fans happy.

Tero averages double figures at Home so it's a no brainer to sign him.

Plus win all your home matches & you'll probably be in the play-offs!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

Done my shift on away tracks in the 70’s/80’s, can’t be arsed with all the travelling now, besides why would I want to when Scunny just down the road serves up such good racing.

Forgot to say Dan, yes you have a sad life lol.

Edited by OldtimerRay

have to say Scunny is one of the few away tracks i would go to , even went when they raced Worky a few years back was chucking it down and Kildemand was almost untouchable

11 hours ago, homer said:

have to say Scunny is one of the few away tracks i would go to , even went when they raced Worky a few years back was chucking it down and Kildemand was almost untouchable

When we travelled up to Redcar we found it very FTG. the only prob was that we never gated. If I remember rightly David Howe got carted off to hospital and Ryan Douglas who had landed that day from oz couldn’t do more than 3 laps without nodding off  oops I mean falling off. Met some really nice people at the bar though. …….bloody hell time flies just looked it up and it was 2013 and was bloody cold

Edited by mossy666

18 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

Over the years & early Scorpion years, I have done Boston(Kings Lynn), Mildenhall, Buxton, Rye House, Stoke, Birmingham, Sheffield, Somerset, Redcar, Newcastle, Leicester, Workington, Peterborough(Fours) & taken in top league meetings at Belle Vue( K/Lane & NSS) & Wolves.

Edited by IronScorpion

So no TJ at Redcar… could him, Douglas and Allen fit?? 

10 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

So no TJ at Redcar… could him, Douglas and Allen fit?? 

I would be happy with those 3, if we can squeeze them in?

4 minutes ago, scunny1 said:

I would be happy with those 3, if we can squeeze them in?

Sadly not if my calculations are correct 0.16 over

Redcar naming their 1-7 including Kasper Andersen who I had hoped might be on our radar ?. He really has the potential to add to points to his average in my opinion. Wright- Riss-Kerr-Andersen is as good a top four as any. 

Leaves me wondering where Thomas Jorgensen will head for if hes not back with us ? A return to Berwick possibly ? Wondering if a returning Josh Auty might make a return to one of his former tracks Birmingham ? 

But back to us. Thursdays 5th rider is going to tell us much about our aspirations in 2022. We need a rider that not only scores well at home but also away. Consistency is key; Tero Aarnio seems to be rumoured for a return ? If so its hard to see how last season won him a recall ?. A stuttering start when he always seemed to be 2-3 poor scores from the axe. Then the fiasco over him not having a visa that ended his 2021. 

Dont get me wrong I'm not wholly anti Aarnio but just looking at how things went last season for him  it would need to go a lot better this time around if he was to be given such a crucial part in the 2022 team ?  I would be hoping for a new face who has potential to improve; Aarnio might have his pluses round Scunny but I dont think theres much room for improvement from him overall.

Of course we do not know for sure who we have at the top of the team ? It seems its two from three of Jake Allen - Ryan Douglas or British Champion Adam Ellis. I think we are stronger with Ryan & Jake not least at Scunny where both would out score Adam Ellis who didnt always look entirely at home there last season. 

As it stands I am pleased with how things are shaping up. In Zaine Kennedy and Jordan Palin we have two riders very capable of upping their averages in 2022. Simon Lambert back as skipper was to be expected and Ryan Kinsley if can pick up on where he was going in his last spell at Scunny can be a handy reserve. 

I am just left hoping the Management have been able to make the right calls with the top three riders ?. 

Edited by the outsider

17 minutes ago, Ryan555 said:

Sadly not if my calculations are correct 0.16 over

0.16 of a point .keeps us from including Tommy ? Bloody ridiculous whats 0.16 of a point really ? Surely the sport is about entertainment and excitment and in all fairness I would much prefer to watch Tommy Gun flying round Scunny than (and no disrespect) Tero Aarnio. This is where Speedway starts to look silly. 0.16 of a point I ask you ?arrrgh