British Speedway Forum

Just listening to why Peterborough track was to unsafe to ride on Monday. Every reason given was because if the track has clay in it,

So why are tracks putting clay into them???

What benefits does it give you

35 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Just listening to why Peterborough track was to unsafe to ride on Monday. Every reason given was because if the track has clay in it,

So why are tracks putting clay into them???

What benefits does it give you

Not many at Lynn unless you are driving a stock car. Buster obviously gets hold of the stuff at a good price and likes it as a dual sport surface and once he took over at Peterborough decided to use it there too probably on a cost and availability basis. It seems it can produce great racing at the EoES when the inside isnt too grippy although I expect that would be the case with 'normal' shale. 

I know that it was mentioned some years ago now that it was proving difficult obtaining good quality shale. When Oxford had problems they mixed granite to help bond the track surface but I, too, wonder why clay is used. Surely it creates a claggy surface?

The Aussies made a lot of their tracks clay surfaces for their saloon and sprint car racing...

The solo racing standard deteriorated accordingly...

I may be wrong but I think it may have something to do with no longer having the bikes drop oil and clay can be used to help bind the surface

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv

Poole recently had to re-lay their track with shale from the Edinburgh area which had to be mixed with clay to cut down on the amount of dust!

I'm sure Trackerman48 can add some expertise.........?

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I know that it was mentioned some years ago now that it was proving difficult obtaining good quality shale. When Oxford had problems they mixed granite to help bond the track surface but I, too, wonder why clay is used. Surely it creates a claggy surface?

We used granite at Wimbledon, to give the track some bite, after the Saturday stock car meetings.

• Like 1

I think the simple answer is probably - COST!!!

2 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

I think the simple answer is probably - COST!!!

Probably a lot of truth in that!

• Like 1