British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Belle Vue v Peterborough Panthers - Grand Final

4 minutes ago, DJC said:

Fantastic attention to detail on the write up from the SGB website

Skipper Scott Nicholls and Rising Star youngster Dan Bewley clinched the title with a 4-2 in Heat 14 after the Panthers had briefly been delayed by a stunning ride by Aces No.1 Dan Bewley to come from the back and win Heat 13.

That’s sums up SGB website.:rolleyes:

• Confused 1

People saying the racing wasn't that good,,, no it was not as good as it can be/used to be,,, but was still far better than most tracks,, and would love racing to be that good every week at my teams track. 

• Like 7

Class to see Bjarne Pedersen bow out with another EL title, watched him so much over the years and far from a gating tart. Class rider. 

well done Pboro and happy retirement Bjarne

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Fair points but I'm not sure we should look to Poland. When their leagues were pony back in the 60s & 70s they still had massive crowds. Their recent team structures etc. haven't attracted more fans but they do enjoy great backing from the state/councils and globalising has increased sponsorship income no doubt. Its just their fans never drifted away like in the UK and some of that is down to society and living standards. They have less teams as well don't they?

They do have three divisions so I think more teams in total.. 

The local council involvement is key as you say, but that is only made possible by the sports' standing nationally.. 

When you watch the Polish League it truly is "tribal" (as a team sport should be), and can bring true national focus and attention to that town..

There is no chance for example that  Woffy would guest for Zmarzlik as both the Wroclaw and Gorzow fans wouldnt stand for it..

If he did well Wroclaw would riot, if he did badly, Gorzow would...:D

And their TV Companies and major money backing sponsors would run to the hills with their contracts and burn them..

As is shown at Play Off time every season, the sport in the UK still has plenty of "followers" who come out of the woodwork to follow "their team"..

With a Speedway meeting actually meaning something being the pull..

Many drifted away over here when "Guestfest after Guestfest" became common place, with the top riders in particular starting to miss meetings in the UK to pursue an ever growing international fixture list, and meetings got rearranged to accommodate their agendas..

Polish fans stay with their sport because they dont have such a ridiculous operating model to push them away..

Someone just needs to harness some of that pull of the Play Offs into the regular season by making every meeting an event worth attending..

The support is clearly out there, lurking in the background

And that's at every club...

It's frustrating how every season we end on a terrific high after watching and being enthralled by an inevitably fantastic 2 legged final...

And then within a few weeks of the new season starting six months later it becomes very much "same old, same old"..

Such a shame it cant be ran better...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, stevehone said:

it's a shame there are so many supporters that only turn up for playoffs when they're needed all season

Bratley said the same in 2006: "I will never forget that the 2006 Grand Final, arguably the greatest modern day meeting ever, watched live by over 6000 people and by thousands more at home, was followed by a Craven Shield fixture attended by less than 700 people. If that Grand Final won’t pull people in, then what will?!?!" - so if they haven't worked it out in 15 years then don't hold your breath.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Bratley said the same in 2006: "I will never forget that the 2006 Grand Final, arguably the greatest modern day meeting ever, watched live by over 6000 people and by thousands more at home, was followed by a Craven Shield fixture attended by less than 700 people. If that Grand Final won’t pull people in, then what will?!?!" - so if they haven't worked it out in 15 years then don't hold your breath.

Think it's actually obvious. Better standard of speedway, lot's of passing, riders people can relate to, fair pricing and most importantly marketing and promoting. Look how the final was all over social media 

Really enjoyed my first trip to Peterborough. It’s good to know it’s not only Bellevue who can’t get the catering right for big meetings

Panthers fully deserved the win , clearly they wanted it more. Ht 3 summed it up for me when Nichols steamed into Charles Wright with no response.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Well done to the Panthers but what has happened to your track, has Buster destroyed it like he has Kings Lynn, if that was a normal meeting you would all be moaning about no passing and one line, it was only the incredible effort from the rider's and some rider errors that made the racing as good as it was which wouldn't have happened in a league meeting. 

You write some squit on here from time to time but that takes the biscuit, some of the racing last night was top drawer, the track was excellent if perhaps a tiny bit dry. Both meetings served up action worthy of a final.

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 3

Can they PLEASE do away with these on board camera's who wants to see a front wheel instead of some passing that's going on elsewhere on the track.

Any idea of attendances at both legs..Boro looked full.?

I liked the bike cams, good tv presentation.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, mikebv said:

They do have three divisions so I think more teams in total.. 

The local council involvement is key as you say, but that is only made possible by the sports' standing nationally.. 

When you watch the Polish League it truly is "tribal" (as a team sport should be), and can bring true national focus and attention to that town..

There is no chance for example that  Woffy would guest for Zmarzlik as both the Wroclaw and Gorzow fans wouldnt stand for it..

If he did well Wroclaw would riot, if he did badly, Gorzow would...:D

And their TV Companies and major money backing sponsors would run to the hills with their contracts and burn them..

As is shown at Play Off time every season, the sport in the UK still has plenty of "followers" who come out of the woodwork to follow "their team"..

With a Speedway meeting actually meaning something being the pull..

Many drifted away over here when "Guestfest after Guestfest" became common place, with the top riders in particular starting to miss meetings in the UK to pursue an ever growing international fixture list, and meetings got rearranged to accommodate their agendas..

Polish fans stay with their sport because they dont have such a ridiculous operating model to push them away..

Someone just needs to harness some of that pull of the Play Offs into the regular season by making every meeting an event worth attending..

The support is clearly out there, lurking in the background

And that's at every club...

It's frustrating how every season we end on a terrific high after watching and being enthralled by an inevitably fantastic 2 legged final...

And then within a few weeks of the new season starting six months later it becomes very much "same old, same old"..

Such a shame it cant be ran better...

I've looked and it seems they have 18 clubs and so do we, but of course Poland is geographically bigger and less dense. 

I get the tribal thing but I do still think the way people live makes a difference. When I went to Poland, it was really easy to get between places, the variety of sports doesn't seem as popular and you could have a great night in a bar for 5 pounds!

Very difficult to compare. Foreign riders of course love it - who wouldn't given the 100k+ signing on fee and 1k to 1.5k paid per point in the extra league. 

25 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

You write some squit on here from time to time but that takes the biscuit, some of the racing last night was top drawer, the track was excellent if perhaps a tiny bit dry. Both meetings served up action worthy of a final.

Thought the racing was good from heat1 to heat 15 plenty of passing inside or outside sometimes even at the same time , track looked smooth and provided fast racing, there were many races that finished with last out the gate but first passed the finish line , overall good entertainment 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

Agree, on board cameras are a disaster.

At Belle Vue in one race, we missed an overtake because of those damn things.

Eurosport, please get rid of them.

No don't get rid, refine when they use them.  They're a great highlights package view.  Maybe even give people the option of camera they want to use on streams etc 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

He was there for the semi just thought he would be there also for the final , 

He had a hospital appointment back in denmark so couldnt make it