British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Belle Vue v Peterborough Panthers - Grand Final

10 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Whoever it was that first dubbed the team Dads Army clearly was being a bit disrespectful towards the riders but little did they know the result of there remark would  result in a very good marketing gimic of a speedway team in many a year , need to sign as many young riders as possible next season then its Baby Faced Assassins 

I first saw it on here tbh... took an hour to get out the car park last night so my poor 9year old had a very late night but hey these times don't come around too often..been buzzing all day at work and back home tonight to re-watch the TV version of it..

18 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Whoever it was that first dubbed the team Dads Army clearly was being a bit disrespectful towards the riders but little did they know the result of there remark would  result in a very good marketing gimic of a speedway team in many a year , need to sign as many young riders as possible next season then its Baby Faced Assassins 

Spot on that nickname is a marketing teams dream and the riders have embraced it 

Tbh I'm slightly disappointed a sponsor didn't pay for camouflage kevlars for the final tbh 

Edited by Flappy

20 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Agree... the Dads Army thing certainly caught on...

But age is just a number and if you're good enough you're old/young enough!... and Peterbro were certainly good enough!

But I reckon the real key to their success revolved around Oystercard...

He had a great start to the season riding at reserve so that he moved up to no.1

Then... unfortunately for him but not necessarily for the team... he got that nasty injury, putting him out for the rest of the season.

That meant his average remained high and Peterbro always had a great reserve with Harris, Andersen and Pedersen all having a go down there.

Of course we'll never know but I reckon that had he ridden at no.1 for any length of time his average would have dipped and in all likelihood he'd have been back at reserve by the end of the season and Peterbro probably wouldn't have been as strong.

This is certainly not intended as having a dig at Peterbro who deserved their win... and had their share of bad luck and other injuries during the play-offs... 

I'm just saying that they were able to take advantage of the circumstances that fell their way... and good luck/congratulations to them for doing so...

Edited by Eagle77
Spelling
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Flappy said:

Spot on that nickname is a marketing teams dream and the riders have embraced it 

Tbh I'm slightly disappointed a sponsor didn't pay for camouflage kevlars for the final tbh 

But then no one would have seen them :wink:

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Haha would've been brilliant.  In fact I hope we actually get that postponed 50 year meeting and they can all ride as team Dad's Army

3 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

To be honest most of the aces riders didn't see them much in there normal kevlars

I think Ostergaard will find it difficult to find a team place next season because of his inflated average.  He may have found a new level of fitness/ scoring potential this year as he started the year in exceptional form but it’s a risk for any team that he will return to his lower scoring abilities.

Hope someone takes the plunge and signs him though.

2 minutes ago, Flappy said:

Haha would've been brilliant.  In fact I hope we actually get that postponed 50 year meeting and they can all ride as team Dad's Army

Is there a chance of another meeting before end of season then or you just hoping

19 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

I think Ostergaard will find it difficult to find a team place next season because of his inflated average.  He may have found a new level of fitness/ scoring potential this year as he started the year in exceptional form but it’s a risk for any team that he will return to his lower scoring abilities.

His average isn't really that inflated, because part of it still comes from 2019 fixtures.

• Like 1

Still nothing from the Aces number 1 fan,, just goes to show what a sad low life looser he really is.    

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Baldyman said:

People saying the racing wasn't that good,,, no it was not as good as it can be/used to be,,, but was still far better than most tracks,, and would love racing to be that good every week at my teams track. 

Without a doubt.  Love the big fast tracks where the riders can ride flat out for 4 laps and use every inch of the track. Are there honestly any Speedway supporters watching the Final that  when given a choice would prefer their tricky and more  technical tracks to either of these ?

Edited by Fullmax
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve0 said:

We will imo.

Ostergaard, Harris, Nicholls, Andersen & MPT = 35.04 but Harris & Nicholls will get a British reduction so we should be able to keep the same team minus Pedersen.

3 minutes ago, TheTriggerer said:

We will imo.

Ostergaard, Harris, Nicholls, Andersen & MPT = 35.04 but Harris & Nicholls will get a British reduction so we should be able to keep the same team minus Pedersen.

Depends on the points limit as usual I suppose? Hopefully be enough to accommodate them and the reserves, but with the annual habit of points reduction who knows.

• Like 1

Well it wasn't meant to be as the long wait for a league title continues. Congratulations to Peterborough and thier fans, you were the deserved winners over the 2 legs.   The Aces have now lost 4 Grand Finals in 15 years which must be up there with the most lost, if not thee most, so the big question for next season is who are the Aces going to lose too in the final lol.   The tie was lost in the last 4 races on Monday if we had managed to hold on to the 10 point lead then that would of given us a hell of a chance.  Last night we just didn't have the engine room to compete with the Panthers. The 2 meetings were a great advert for British Speedway and shows how good speedway can really be.  On to Saturday and looking forward to the SoN.  Congrats again Boro.

Just now, gazzac said:

Depends on the points limit as usual I suppose? Hopefully be enough to accommodate them and the reserves, but with the annual habit of points reduction who knows.

I would take a guess at 35 to 38

Looking at the averages almost every rider seems to be on 5. something or above.

Only Allen, Starke, Rowe, K. Andersen, Nielsen have a average under 5.