British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Belle Vue v Peterborough Panthers - Grand Final

Nothing wrong with the track last night Panthers were passing inside and out. 

Well done pussy cats, finished top and best team in play offs. What a season for you guys. 

Fuming with us though. Especially lemon. Heat 6 is baffling me and will do till my last breathe. 

Bewley and brennan thank you for at least showing up and trying. Rest were bullied far to easy on track for my liking. 

Having said that we did very well to get to a final with this team. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Well done pussy cats, finished top and best team in play offs. What a season for you guys. 

Fuming with us though. Especially lemon. Heat 6 is baffling me and will do till my last breathe. 

Bewley and brennan thank you for at least showing up and trying. Rest were bullied far to easy on track for my liking. 

Having said that we did very well to get to a final with this team. 

Agreed, Belle Vue fans round us were livid with it. Having your reserves against our 1&5 was very generous. But Bomber tried giving you a helping hand. 

How many finals have Vue lost since their last win in 93? Fantastic atmosphere and advert for British speedway. Big crowd..and Madchester Mexicans!

I thought the two finals were a superb advert for the sport with two very good teams going at it for the full 30 heats, both tracks produced good racing and their cannot be any doubt that the best team won the title.

The Panthers were written off by pretty much everyone at the start of the season but they showed good form throughout the campaign and carried on winning pretty much everywhere, apart from a few guests we finished the season with the same 1-7 we started with, we had a few injuries and attempts were made to change things but as per usual we got little if any help from the sports administrators which of course makes our success even sweeter.

Every single rider contributed to our success so it’s hard to single out one rider, they all rode well over the season and some of them when they were carrying injuries but they all deserve credit for an outstanding season and the team spirit was the best I have ever seen in over 50 years watching.

A special mention must be made for Rob Lyon, when he was made team manager I applauded the choice and he has done even better than I thought he would, he is light years ahead of some of his rivals and had a brilliant relationship with his riders.

Keith Chapman has a lot of critics but he put his money where his mouth was and he has warmed to a lot of Peterborough supporters and trackstaff, he has the backing of the supporters club and has truly delivered, nobody can ask for anymore.

• Like 8

Buster and Allit deserve a lot of praise for sure. This club was on it's knees in 2019 and it feels it's been kick started 

Edited by Flappy

1 hour ago, ray c said:

.And people say speedway dead in this country not on those two meetings .

The crowd pleasing aspect is never in question Ray is it? 

It's the contrived nature of how the leagues are ran which sadly holds it back (massively)..

The two legs of the final show how great it can be from an entertainment perspective which makes you wonder why stadiums are not full every week, mainstream media are not all over it, and why major sponsors are not queuing up to put their cash in..

However.. 

The other side of that coin is that the truth is Peterborough won by using riders from Ipswich and Kings Lynn, after (just like many others), using all and sundry through the season on an adhoc basis to get them there..

And that unfortunately will nullify the importance of the events during the season from a fan perspective, and keep both major sponsors and mainstream media away from the sport..

There is a reason Poland doesnt follow the same operating model, and it is because they know a team sport has to have a tribal following and element to it to make it appealing and successful, as you need that emotional involvement.

Very frustrating isnt it that such an incredibly exciting sport is so hamstrung by (in the UK), it's very own devised  infrastructure..?

As an example of the flawed thinking, many "followers" of Peterborough and BV would have joined the regulars in the two legs, and it should be a launch pad for next season to entice these "followers" to become "regulars" each week, or even just more frequent visitors..

And it's the same every year. Bumper Crowds at the Play Offs!!

However. The Champions every season seldom get a chance to keep the same septet should they want to, thus severing that connection created...

A truly great sport. Sadly undermined in the UK badly, so the riders wont ever get the publicity nor financial rewards their incredible contribution deserves..

Still, at least we still have it, so roll on 2022, and the SON is only a day away for me!!

Come On GB!!!!

• Like 2

I do hope this team can be kept together for at least one more year. Bjarne aside who's stepping into retirement as a champion

10 minutes ago, mikebv said:

The crowd pleasing aspect is never in question Ray is it? 

It's the contrived nature of how the leagues are ran which sadly holds it back (massively)..

The two legs of the final show how great it can be from an entertainment perspective which makes you wonder why stadiums are not full every week, mainstream media are not all over it, and why major sponsors are not queuing up to put their cash in..

However.. 

The other side of that coin is that the truth is Peterborough won by using riders from Ipswich and Kings Lynn, after (just like many others), using all and sundry through the season on an adhoc basis to get them there..

And that unfortunately will nullify the importance of the events during the season from a fan perspective, and keep both major sponsors and mainstream media away from the sport..

There is a reason Poland doesnt follow the same operating model, and it is because they know a team sport has to have a tribal following and element to it to make it appealing and successful, as you need that emotional involvement.

Very frustrating isnt it that such an incredibly exciting sport is so hamstrung by (in the UK), it's very own devised  infrastructure..?

As an example of the flawed thinking, many "followers" of Peterborough and BV would have joined the regulars in the two legs, and it should be a launch pad for next season to entice these "followers" to become "regulars" each week, or even just more frequent visitors..

And it's the same every year. Bumper Crowds at the Play Offs!!

However. The Champions every season seldom get a chance to keep the same septet should they want to, thus severing that connection created...

A truly great sport. Sadly undermined in the UK badly, so the riders wont ever get the publicity nor financial rewards their incredible contribution deserves..

Still, at least we still have it, so roll on 2022, and the SON is only a day away for me!!

Come On GB!!!!

Fair points but I'm not sure we should look to Poland. When their leagues were pony back in the 60s & 70s they still had massive crowds. Their recent team structures etc. haven't attracted more fans but they do enjoy great backing from the state/councils and globalising has increased sponsorship income no doubt. Its just their fans never drifted away like in the UK and some of that is down to society and living standards. They have less teams as well don't they?

• Like 1

I'm currently putting myself through more pain by watching last night's final back. 

Doing this because being at the track you miss stuff, especially in the pits area. 

Peterborough were definitely more of a team. The spirit they had, all helping each other. All cheering each other. Showing more emotion. 

Obviously this could be just because the cameras were only concentrating on Peterborough side of things. But it's easy to see which team wanted it more for me. 

Sad to see

14 minutes ago, Flappy said:

I do hope this team can be kept together for at least one more year. Bjarne aside who's stepping into retirement as a champion

All depends on points limit, your 6 currently is 41.37, points limit this year was 35.5.

24 minutes ago, Panthers99 said:

Agreed, Belle Vue fans round us were livid with it. Having your reserves against our 1&5 was very generous. But Bomber tried giving you a helping hand. 

Lemon also made another mistake i feel by using Bewley in ht4 for the RR he maybe wanted the quick start but what it did was give Peterborough ht6 to ht11 without him to think about,  that period in the match won Peterborough the title as they hit the aces whilst Bewley sat in the pits not being able to have any influence in the middle section of the match

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Flappy said:

Was surprised that Ulrich wasn't in the celebrations at the end in his kevlars like Hans.

The Eurosport coverage was  disappointing again.

What annoyed me was that every reserve change (Pedersen, Palin, and Brennan) were shown as 'rider replacement rides' on the graphics as they came to the tapes. Annoying for a fan of the sport but any newcomers would have been totally confused.

5 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Lemon also made another mistake i feel by using Bewley in ht4 for the RR he maybe wanted the quick start but what it did was give Peterborough ht6 to ht11 without him to think about,  that period in the match won Peterborough the title as they hit the aces whilst Bewley sat in the pits not being able to have any influence in the middle section of the match

Firstly I don’t know why R/R was left at 5 the last 3 meetings when they have known Kurtz wasn’t going to be riding, Kurtz R/R should have been moved to 2 or 4 so it’s not out with reserve each time the  heat 13.

Even with it at 5 don’t know why they didn’t use the same R/R order as did against Sheffield that worked fine Worrall, Worrall,  Bewley, Wright.

Putting Etheridge in heat 6 was the most baffling decision.

• Like 2