British Speedway Forum
Mimmo

Discovery+service

Does anybody know, if the thousands of older people in the UK, that don't have access to phone etc, or understand modern technology, can purchase a package in the same way we currently do with BT Sport.so as to be able watch the Grand Prix on their TV sets from 2022 onwards please.

It's a serious question, and one that will affect me if you can't, as families want to sit and watch it together in their living room, not individually on mobile devices.

Thank you, if anybody can provide the answer.   

• Like 2

Do you have SkyQ Mike? If you do then my understanding is that it will be accessible on there as an 'app' rather than a channel on your TV guide. Same principle with a smart tv. Sounds complicated but isn't at all. I'd even come round and do it for you :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mimmo said:

Does anybody know, if the thousands of older people in the UK, that don't have access to phone etc, or understand modern technology, can purchase a package in the same way we currently do with BT Sport.so as to be able watch the Grand Prix on their TV sets from 2022 onwards please.

It's a serious question, and one that will affect me if you can't, as families want to sit and watch it together in their living room, not individually on mobile devices.

I think Travel Plus Tours are still running :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Do you have SkyQ Mike? If you do then my understanding is that it will be accessible on there as an 'app' rather than a channel on your TV guide. Same principle with a smart tv. Sounds complicated but isn't at all. I'd even come round and do it for you :D

I have BT Sport at the moment, which expires in January.  

Just now, Mimmo said:

I have BT Sport at the moment, which expires in January.  

How do you watch BT sport? Is it on your Sky platform?

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Forgive my ignorance, but would you be able to watch after the broadcast has started, and fast forward between races?

21 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Forgive my ignorance, but would you be able to watch after the broadcast has started, and fast forward between races?

That is a good question, I assume because it's an app you will have the choice of watching live or watching 'on demand' for a certain number of days after the event and be able to pause, fast forward and rewind as you wish.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

How do you watch BT sport? Is it on your Sky platform?

Sorry Bagpuss, what is a Sky platform?

I've got a TV and a BT Box, that's all I know or understand.  I couldn't even set the BT box up myself, and BT charged mt £133 to come and do what took them barely 5-minutes, which took up almost all of my reduced weeks State Pension. 

3 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

Sorry Bagpuss, what is a Sky platform?

I've got a TV and a BT Box, that's all I know or understand.  I couldn't even set the BT box up myself, and BT charged mt £133 to come and do what took them barely 5-minutes, which took up almost all of my reduced weeks State Pension. 

Sorry, meant a Sky box when I said platform. I have no idea about BT boxes but will do a bit of research to find out. Somebody else may stumble upon this thread and answer before me but I'll endeavour to get an answer.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mimmo said:

I'm sure someone more tech savvy will confirm, but I think it's possible to buy a device that turns an ordinary TV into a "smart TV" and allows you to add things such as Discovery Plus. I will need one myself.

24 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

I'm sure someone more tech savvy will confirm, but I think it's possible to buy a device that turns an ordinary TV into a "smart TV" and allows you to add things such as Discovery Plus. I will need one myself.

I think you can get Discovery Plus on a Roku USB stick.

Roku Streaming Stick+ | HD/4K/HDR Streaming Media Player, Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

According to this you can get Discovery Plus on it.

How to get Discovery Plus on Roku (nerdschalk.com)

I would make sure first though.

I have a similar device for NOW TV on a couple of TVs but they don't have Discovery Plus - so Roku looks a better bet.

I would also add that the capabilities of Mimmo's BT bix depends on its age, if it has on demand apps like iPlayer, ITVhub, Netflix etc then it will probably have Discovery+.

36 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

If you buy a chrome cast you will be able to open the discovery plus app on your phone/tablet and send the picture to your tv. I am going to have to show my 86 year old stepdad how to do this which is going to be tricky!!

An Amazon firestick or Roku will also work.