British Speedway Forum
Mimmo

Discovery+service

21 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

The GPs are also to be shown live on Eurosport 2 in the UK - as Discovery Sports Events have recently announced/confirmed.

I know, I was just replying to the poster who 'thinks' he will see the GP's by signing up to Sky's 12 month Discovery+ free offer.

Edited by chris4gillian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chris4gillian said:

I know, I was just replying to the poster who 'thinks' he will see the GP's by signing up to Sky's 12 month Discovery+ free offer.

Sorry, its just theres so much mis-information about the GP coverage that I take any opportunity to repeat the Discovery/Eurosport statement.

damn and blast just when I thought discovery might improve the TV coverage up pops Shouty and Shouty:angry:

Not sure If I’m Miss reading the statement. So the full gps plus British league is on Eurosport 2 live. What’s the benefit of buying the discovery + package then ? 

7 minutes ago, Gasser90 said:

Not sure If I’m Miss reading the statement. So the full gps plus British league is on Eurosport 2 live. What’s the benefit of buying the discovery + package then ? 

Riders heartbeat rate, reaction times and funky shizzle like that. Also no adverts.

10 minutes ago, SpeedwayTShirts said:

Riders heartbeat rate, reaction times and funky shizzle like that. Also no adverts.

Ah right. So if I just want to watch the speedway as normal like I have done the last few years just stick with Eurosport, I don’t need to pay for discovery +. 
cheers 

Hopefully I am being paranoid, but can someone link to where it is actually confirmed that all the GPs will be on Eurosport.

They have now posted the public story on their website but it only says that "Discovery announces today that it will bring every race from the FIM Speedway Grand Prix series to viewers streaming via discovery+ in addition to live TV coverage on Eurosport 2."

It does not say it will be streaming on Discovery+ "and" on TV on Eurosport 2.  That "in addition to" would be correct even if they were only show Cardiff live on TV in addition to the coverage on Discovery+.  The way it is written is sloppy at best and disingenuous at worst, but after what happened with the Euros last year I do not trust them not to try to make TV subscribers pay twice.  

It also says there will be coverage of every SGP2 (aka U21) and SGP3 race on Discovery+ so presumably they will not be on Eurosport?

14 minutes ago, someone said:

Hopefully I am being paranoid, but can someone link to where it is actually confirmed that all the GPs will be on Eurosport.

They have now posted the public story on their website but it only says that "Discovery announces today that it will bring every race from the FIM Speedway Grand Prix series to viewers streaming via discovery+ in addition to live TV coverage on Eurosport 2."

It does not say it will be streaming on Discovery+ "and" on TV on Eurosport 2.  That "in addition to" would be correct even if they were only show Cardiff live on TV in addition to the coverage on Discovery+.  The way it is written is sloppy at best and disingenuous at worst, but after what happened with the Euros last year I do not trust them not to try to make TV subscribers pay twice.  

It also says there will be coverage of every SGP2 (aka U21) and SGP3 race on Discovery+ so presumably they will not be on Eurosport?

That makes 2 of us paranoid :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, someone said:

To be honest I don't think Discovery are covering themselves in glory so far. The lack of unambiguous information so far is not great. However, in the same news item it also says.

François Ribeiro, Head of Discovery Sports Events, said: “Part of our role as FIM Speedway global promoter is to bring the sport to a wider audience. By offering every minute of the action to millions of viewers on discovery+ and Eurosport 2 in the UK, complemented by the best analysis from local experts, we know we can attract new viewers to speedway while delivering the most energetic, exciting and engaging season for passionate fans yet.'

Now, that can also be read in two ways. 'Every minute of the action to millions of viewers on discovery+ and Eurosport in the UK' should mean every minute show on both (because otherwise they should have said  'or' rather than  'and' ). It's ridiculous that with only a couple of weeks to go we are still speculating. 

I contacted the Customer Service team at Discovery and they assured me the GPs would be shown live on Eurosport , so we will have to wait and see.

If I were someone who had taken out a discovery+ and sport subscription which is not required I'd be annoyed.  If they now only show some GPs live on Eurosport I won't be best pleased. 

Discovery got lots of negative comments about its Australian Open tennis coverage, so the jury remains out for me. 

• Like 1

I think they forgot to say every race will be live on Eurosport 2 unless the cycling or tennis is on!

Last year the SEC was dropped from Eurosport 2 and pushed on to the additional channels you get with the app. 

4 hours ago, Sir Sidney said:

I contacted the Customer Service team at Discovery and they assured me the GPs would be shown live on Eurosport , so we will have to wait and see.

That at least is definitive even if only from a customer advisor, so hopefully it is true.  Though as Tim G says, with all the various conflicts I would be surprised that Ribeiro quote means every minute of everything being on Eurosport.  As long as we get the actual GPs (and SoN) on TV then that will be good enough for me.

It would also be nice if they televised the GP Challenge, which was oddly missing from their news story even though it says they will be showing the U16 SGP3 meeting.  It always seemed a waste by BSI not to have included it being covered as part of their normal GP contracts.

On 4/7/2022 at 10:43 AM, chris4gillian said:

The GP's are on Discovery+ Entertainment & Sport package, NOT just the Entertainment package Sky are offering for free for 12 months.  Therefore if you've only accepted the free offer you WON'T be seeing the GP's on Discovery+.  See link for the two Discovery+ packages which are available;

Choose Your Plan | Sign Up, Sign In, Manage Your Account | discovery+ (discoveryplus.com)

Thanks, for the advice. I did actually work that difference out during the lengthy phone call. They guaranteed I would get The Speedway GP’s with the year 1 year offer. I, like you, wasn’t so sure. However now it’s been confirmed all GP’s and a selection of PL meetings will be screened on both Discovery+ Entertainment & Sports and Eurosport I see no need for Discovery +, what is the point. 

Edited by Hodgy
  • Like 2

With so much confusion over this, my plan is to wait until the first GP and see if its on Eurosport 2 which is included in my Sky package. I downloaded the 12 month free offer of Discovery+ app to my Sky Q box, unaware at the time that "live sport" was a cost extra. Like others I see no point in paying £6-99 a month extra, when I can get almost identical coverage for free. Whether this proves to be the case, I'll find out soon!

Edited by Bunce
Clarification.
  • Like 1