British Speedway Forum
Happy Hunter

Has Kelv put his heating on yet?

25 minutes ago, HenryW said:

For me, Kelvin and Nigel are a great combination on comms.
I have listened to lots of speedway commentary over many years, but I am not sure I have heard a better combination than those two.
They talk some nonsense to fill gaps, they both make mistakes and mock each other...but when it comes down to it, they both show their excitement for the sport in their vocal reactions, and I love that.
I don't want to listen to a monotone description of what is happening, I want someone to show enthusiasm and excitement in their description of what is happening....and Nigel and Kelvin deliver that for me.

I agree. Having grown up on some of the great cricket commentators, I quite enjoy the waffling! For me me, they are far superior to Tony Millard "stealing a march" and PC's "Henrik Gustaffersson". Even the great Dave Lanning made mistakes. So?

The wonderful thing about Nigel is not only the fact that he is a great guy, but he is a TRUE speedway fan, unlike Alan Weekes.

For their critics, you have to realize that like everything else in this world, commentating is totally different to what it was 40 and 50 years ago. Individuals like Kenneth Wolstenholme and Ted Lowe are a thing of the past.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, TheReturn said:

Kelvin's like a lovely flavouring sauce that  makes Pearson edible. :D

I wouldn't say that too loudly if I were you... :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, chunky said:

I agree. Having grown up on some of the great cricket commentators, I quite enjoy the waffling! For me me, they are far superior to Tony Millard "stealing a march" and PC's "Henrik Gustaffersson". Even the great Dave Lanning made mistakes. So?

The wonderful thing about Nigel is not only the fact that he is a great guy, but he is a TRUE speedway fan, unlike Alan Weekes.

For their critics, you have to realize that like everything else in this world, commentating is totally different to what it was 40 and 50 years ago. Individuals like Kenneth Wolstenholme and Ted Lowe are a thing of the past.

To me, that is very important and can't be overstated.. You can usually tell the difference between a speedway presenter or announcer who actually loves the sport and someone who is merely hired to do the job. 

Dave Lanning, perhaps, is the best example of that. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

I've rarely heard the aforementioned as I don't subscribe to satellite/cable TV but I watch very little sport on TV now as I got fed up with the over analysis and constant action replays and camara shots up your nostrils and shouting commentators. Kennnth Wolstenholme got it right when he said that less is more and let the action do the talking. I have some speedway DVD's where Colin "whatshisname" (once of "Tape-o-Sport") constantly jabbers away and it drives me insane!

Edited by steve roberts

The only time this year I actually enjoyed the commentary was when Pearson was otherwise engaged and Chris Louis took his place. TBH I've usually had enough of the banal comments by heat 6 and switched channels.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

To me, that is very important and can't be overstated.. You can usually tell the difference between a speedway presenter or announcer who actually loves the sport and someone who is merely hired to do the job. 

Dave Lanning, perhaps, is the best example of that. 

Never been replaced in my opinion. Certainly livened up proceedings at Cowley during his time there in 1972.

I think they do an excellent job, easily the best by some distance. For people that criticise them, try and talk continuously for 3 hours about what's going on in front of you that isn't always the most entertaining, in fact put an audition tape together and upload it to YouTube and give us all a laugh. It's a difficult balance to strike of being informative and entertaining. If I did have a criticism it would be that they don't often go into enough detail, but then maybe they are told to keep it quite superficial, I don't know.

The days of Richie Benaud saying 1 sentence once every over in cricket or Dan Mascal saying "Oh I say" at the end of a rally in Tennis are of the distant past.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Tatum and Louis were an excellent combination.

I do think it'd help if they would mix it up a bit

• Like 1

I think they do a great job, maybe go too far with the 'banter' at times but nobody is perfect. Compared to the dross on Sky/BT football commentary they are miles ahead. 

2 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Tatum and Louis were an excellent combination.

But…. did they highlight the fact that every heat is vital? 

One worrying thing for me, on the eurosport coverage,  was the shoehorning in of Sam "straightaway" Ermolenko.  Terrible commentator. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Badge said:

One worrying thing for me, on the eurosport coverage,  was the shoehorning in of Sam "straightaway" Ermolenko.  Terrible commentator. 

Definitely the worst by a mile.  He just talks absolute nonsense.  I think Chris Louis is excellent and should be used regularly. 

• Like 2

This has been a holding year with Eurosport as it looks like British speedway along with the GPs will be shown under the Discovery+ identity. And maybe with different commentators for both the UK product and the worldwide feed?
Although Kelvin does a solid job, Nigel has come across as disinterested and error strewn this year, almost like someone who knows his time is up. 
It’s a shame, really, because they used to make a good team but that just hasn’t happened this year. I’m not sure who could or would replace him - hopefully not another ex-rider - but I think both Nigel and speedway would benefit from a parting of the ways…..in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Lighten up lads they make a superb duo knowledgable, random, funny and friendly banter all rolled into one. More, more, more !!!

• Like 2