British Speedway Forum
Happy Hunter

Has Kelv put his heating on yet?

Having watched the Premier League Speedway on Eurosport this season I'm wondering how I'm going to survive the winter without the Nige and Kelv show. Will anyone one else feel bereft? Will be interested to know what other viewers think of their banter!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

Having watched the Premier League Speedway on Eurosport this season I'm wondering how I'm going to survive the winter without the Nige and Kelv show. Will anyone one else feel bereft? Will be interested to know what other viewers think of their banter!

Often it is more entertaining than the racing.:)

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Tbh it's wearing a bit thin.

Have not heard anyone better in the 20 years I've listened... It might be the fact that in the GP's they've not been trackside this season so the latest gossip isnt available as it would be if you were having a beer with everyone the night before... Therefor me also thinks this year its been wearing thin.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Tbh it's wearing a bit thin.

To be perfectly frank, most of it is childish and is bringing TV speedway down. They talk rubbish most of the time. Of course others will see it differently.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Can anyone afford to put their heating on?

Earlier this week the wife put the electric fire on in the lounge. An hour later she had the windows open. Let’s say “I was not very happy”.                
We on Calor gas where I live. Todays post informs me it is going up by approx 5% in ten days time. I suspect this is just the start of energy price increases.

My view well known.  Kelvin is ok, he knows speedway and is not usually afraid to air an opinion.  I find Pearson bland, repetitive, frequently wrong with his calls and somewhat stuck in the 80s with anecdotes and too much of a suck up man to the speedway powers that be for my liking. 

But... and I can't believe I am going to say this, alongside Kelvin it actually works, together they work. Kelvin's like a lovely flavouring sauce that  makes Pearson edible. :D

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Great Central said:

To be perfectly frank, most of it is childish and is bringing TV speedway down. They talk rubbish most of the time. Of course others will see it differently.

Cringeworthy for me

• Like 3

Cosidering Pearson is a 'professional' commentator covering different sports, it is a very amateurish show where speedway is concerned. Prehaps it's a perfect fit.

• Like 6

Speedway is a sport with 'downtime', like cricket, cycling etc and therefore there is going to be a fair amount of 'non-action' time to fill.  Imo the job of the commentary team is to provide a conversation you can be drawn into, like pulling up a seat at the pub.  A mix of sporting chat and general chitchat works well and I reckon Nige and Kelv do a good job of it.

Spot on.

You don't get commentary whilst watching live in the stadium, so if you don't like the commentary, simply turn the sound off. There, solved.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Need to appeal to a younger demographic (see coverage of, basically, every other sport in existence) - these tired old catch phrases and cliches need to be put out to grass. 

High octane sport and you have a couple of middle age dad dancers going through their shtick for the thousandth time.