British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2022

4 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

At the end of the day it’s about winning the match it’s the Team Managers job to try and get that done.The weaker reserve is always going to be the one to suffer given there’s not a lot else on offer tactically.Riders just have get on with it.Managers would get criticised if the Team lost or didn’t win by 7 points if the fans felt differently.

Im not suggesting anything as radical as team managers developing a conscience or feelings :rofl: what im suggesting is changing the rules so managers can't swap the riders / reserves around quite so freely. So many results swing on reserves taking 7 rides and cleaning up whilst others get cut down to 3 rides. Its supposed to be a team sport, if riders are struggling on a night then the manager / team should all be rallying around to get a team performance rather than cutting riders adrift and in some cases publicly shaming them.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

disagree

Care to expand? As i see it currently 3 sides (Berwick, Glasgow and Redcar) "generally" don't mess around with swapping reserves about too much / have a more even balance at the bottom end. The rest give one of the reserves 3 rides because they are required too. If thats the case then why no just do away with the additional rider and go 6 man teams? saves a whole lot of expense laying out for riders who are brought in to make up the numbers.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Care to expand? As i see it currently 3 sides (Berwick, Glasgow and Redcar) "generally" don't mess around with swapping reserves about too much / have a more even balance at the bottom end. The rest give one of the reserves 3 rides because they are required too. If thats the case then why no just do away with the additional rider and go 6 man teams? saves a whole lot of expense laying out for riders who are brought in to make up the numbers.

Idea is to win the meeting, nothing wrong with managers playing around with tactics to try and win a meeting in my view, I do completely understand the point of view of the ‘lesser reserve’ though, and I think they should be informed before signing the contract that it will be happening

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, lewy said:

The problem is when the weaker reserve thinks he's the better reserve or the people around him are telling him that. 

There’s a few of them about.They need to do their talking on the track irrespective of Team Managers tactics.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, lewy said:

The problem is when the weaker reserve thinks he's the better reserve or the people around him are telling him that. 

Well that's the most sensible thing you have said  

• Haha 1

The words 'toys' and 'pram' spring to mind. Such a shame because Henry Atkins is so much better than that. Possible that someone has been whispering in his ear

• Like 2

16 hours ago, lewy said:

Nail hit firmly on the head! 

It's all about reasonable expectations. 

1. Dan Gilkes has been flying and arguably the best reserve in the league why wouldn't you be putting him in at every opportunity, I didn't see Alfie complaining at Scunny etc.

2. Henry's form both in the NL and CL has been questionable (bar one NL meeting at Plymouth)

3. Henry is only a handful of meetings into the season after a year out so was always going to need time to get going and I'd have thought those around him would appreciate that

The point being that there is a massive impatience to Henry getting CL rides when his form doesn't warrant it. That sadly won't bode well for him at any club. Those around him feeling entitled will only end one way.

• Like 2

With a bit of patience Atkins might well have ended up being the reserve benefitting from extra rides after Gilkes' unfortunate injury. 

Garry May has always made the most of reserve changes so riders should know what to expect when signing for one of his teams. I remember years ago at Edinburgh in a cup final he took Brady Kurtz out of heat 13 to give the weaker reserve (Chessell I think) his 3rd ride which left Rasmus Jensen able to come in and win it for Somerset in 14. 

I can see why it can get tough for someone in Atkins position but it's about the team winning. May not only knows how to build winning teams but also gets the best out of them. 

• Like 3

Theyve got the ass coz gilkes is by far the better rider and the family have slung the toys out the pram, as things turned out atkins might have been getting 5 rides a match 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

Theyve got the ass coz gilkes is by far the better rider and the family have slung the toys out the pram, as things turned out atkins might have been getting 5 rides a match 

The problem being IF he get another Championship side,he is going to have same situation if he is not performing better than the other reserve.Wrong attitude IMO.

• Like 1

Last night Morley took a extra reserve ride in Ht14 meaning the other reserve only got 3 rides. We had already done enough to win the match and looks hard on Edwards, but if we dropped a 4-2 in that race and a 5-1 in the last which was possible Poole would have snatched a vital bonus point. Correct decision by the manager who is judged on results, not sure if Atkins would have seen it that way if he had been involved.

• Like 4

As I see it a riders job is to win races or at the very least to beat his opposite number, a managers job is to make sure his team wins then to make sure the opposition takes no league points, surely thats what the Sport is all about it is after all a competitive Sport if not then there is no point in competing, instead we should just play tiddly winks.

• Like 1

What I want to know is, if this team is called Gladiators ... why do they have as a logo, a Greek helmet? :blink: