British Speedway Forum
SharpenRake

Edinburgh v Glasgow - Friday/Saturday - 15/16 October

A dominant display from the Monarchs gives Rory Schlein another appearance at sunny Armadale prior to his retirement :)

A couple of early crashes left me even more unsure as to whether we could pull the deficit back. However, when Anders Rowed into the stadium and stuck his oar in to deliver an excellent heat 6 victory, I settled down a bit.

Mixed fortunes for our young German superstar. Unceremoniously dumped on the shale in heat 1 before 2 wins, 2 third places and 2 ducks. More than acceptable for a reserve.

Hats off also to young Edwards. A vital heat 12 win, with the 5-1 completed by the glue that is Kye Thomson :cheers:

The Weegies didn't have the best of nights. Certainly Mr Karlsson was looking a tad uppity at one point, invading the track with the riders already at tapes. Not entirely sure what that was about.

Young Brennan put yet another nail in the trick track myth. Outwith the predictable heat 15 cheating, I was very impressed with his evening's work.

Talking of heat 15, why did Cook stop racing? Poor refereeing putting the red lights on before Worrall crossed the line at the end of lap 2. Could have and should have been awarded instead of us having to win the tie twice.

On to tonight and, I must admit, I'm not overly fussed either way. As I've stated previously on here, we don't deserve to be in the play offs and really shouldn't have any chance of being Champions this season. Don’t get me wrong, it's good to beat Glasgow in any competition, but it won't ruin my winter if we don't emerge victorious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bandits4eva said:

Listen… If Leon is to move away from his home town team then I’m sure he’ll be looking for somewhere that can give him more than a snazzy pre-season photo shoot, fancy race suit, and clean pit area :lol: :wink:

You his mum

The question arises, how different would it have been if the match had been ridden on an actual speedway track rather than a postage stamp 'Mickey Mouse' track.  And should there be a minimum size of track to be permitted to stage official speedway meetings.  'Racing' at Armadale never seems to look like 'speedway' as most people know it, the riders seem to stall and almost come to a complete halt on the bends.  That an experienced Polish rider couldn't even turn the bike on it probably says more about the deficiencies of the track than it does the rider.

Other 'what ifs' such as if Ostergaard had been fit, although unlikely to have done better than Brennan, and Sedgmen would probably have done better than Nowak at Armadale although probably less well at Ashfield so again probably cancels out.

28 minutes ago, Bandits4eva said:

Sarcasm pal.. :unsure: 

And anyways… I think Berwick have done damn well for being one of the less well off clubs and we do have a promotion that are trying to move with the times! If we and other teams had the same finances that Glasgow have got then I’m quite sure we’d all manage to match what they have put out! 

No sarcasm at all , I did point out if finances allow 

26 minutes ago, Gazc said:

You his mum

She isn't, but you still don't want to mess with her! 

Or with Leon's mum, come to think of it..... 

1 minute ago, crescent girl said:

She isn't, but you still don't want to mess with her! 

Or with Leon's mum, come to think of it..... 

I was joking off course  that’s why I put a smiley on the original post.

I know who she is and very passionate about her club so calm down dear it was tongue in cheek.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GS550 said:

The question arises, how different would it have been if the match had been ridden on an actual speedway track rather than a postage stamp 'Mickey Mouse' track.  And should there be a minimum size of track to be permitted to stage official speedway meetings.  'Racing' at Armadale never seems to look like 'speedway' as most people know it, the riders seem to stall and almost come to a complete halt on the bends.  That an experienced Polish rider couldn't even turn the bike on it probably says more about the deficiencies of the track than it does the rider.

Other 'what ifs' such as if Ostergaard had been fit, although unlikely to have done better than Brennan, and Sedgmen would probably have done better than Nowak at Armadale although probably less well at Ashfield so again probably cancels out.

:lol:

crikey… I can’t believe I will type this… but…

I used to believe the “trick track” myth of Armadale… my team now seem to have dialled into how Armadale works and our curse as one of the worst teams at Armadale does seem to be lifting. The fact that a few teams have won at Edinburgh or ran them very close should also back up the fact it’s not so much a trick track any more… more that it’s just a technical track! Nowak will not have seen anything like that in Poland as they’re all on the biggest, faster side! It’s being able to get round a track like Armadale that will make you a better all round rider! 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, GS550 said:

Wow your not bitter at all!

It was Brennans first ever visit and he got on just fine. Nowak just a typical pole that can ride very well flat out but lacks the throttle control that is required for a track like Armadale.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Bandits4eva said:

:lol:

crikey… I can’t believe I will type this… but…

I used to believe the “trick track” myth of Armadale… my team now seem to have dialled into how Armadale works and our curse as one of the worst teams at Armadale does seem to be lifting. The fact that a few teams have won at Edinburgh or ran them very close should also back up the fact it’s not so much a trick track any more… more that it’s just a technical track! Nowak will not have seen anything like that in Poland as they’re all on the biggest, faster side! It’s being able to get round a track like Armadale that will make you a better all round rider! 

Technical not trick. Glasgow have won there the last few years . We had to build the track to suit size of stadium . If rained off tonight Tigers will regroup and surely be favourites to proceed. Can’t see Wells doing so poorly again.

1 hour ago, topaz325 said:

No sarcasm at all , I did point out if finances allow 

Well saidl

39 minutes ago, spt82 said:

Wow your not bitter at all!

It was Brennans first ever visit and he got on just fine. Nowak just a typical pole that can ride very well flat out but lacks the throttle control that is required for a track like Armadale.

Wow you don't read posts at all!!

In answer to your "wrong end of the stick'" false assumption, not at all in fact.  If you read my original post again or actually read what it says for the first time by the sound of it then you would see that it's an open question.  And my point about Brennan was a fair/balanced assessment that his contribution probably would not have been bettered by Ostergaard, and again that Sedgmen and Nowak's contributions probably cancelled each other out.

1 hour ago, King Jamie said:

A dominant display from the Monarchs gives Rory Schlein another appearance at sunny Armadale prior to his retirement :)

A couple of early crashes left me even more unsure as to whether we could pull the deficit back. However, when Anders Rowed into the stadium and stuck his oar in to deliver an excellent heat 6 victory, I settled down a bit.

Mixed fortunes for our young German superstar. Unceremoniously dumped on the shale in heat 1 before 2 wins, 2 third places and 2 ducks. More than acceptable for a reserve.

Hats off also to young Edwards. A vital heat 12 win, with the 5-1 completed by the glue that is Kye Thomson :cheers:

The Weegies didn't have the best of nights. Certainly Mr Karlsson was looking a tad uppity at one point, invading the track with the riders already at tapes. Not entirely sure what that was about.

Young Brennan put yet another nail in the trick track myth. Outwith the predictable heat 15 cheating, I was very impressed with his evening's work.

Talking of heat 15, why did Cook stop racing? Poor refereeing putting the red lights on before Worrall crossed the line at the end of lap 2. Could have and should have been awarded instead of us having to win the tie twice.

On to tonight and, I must admit, I'm not overly fussed either way. As I've stated previously on here, we don't deserve to be in the play offs and really shouldn't have any chance of being Champions this season. Don’t get me wrong, it's good to beat Glasgow in any competition, but it won't ruin my winter if we don't emerge victorious.

Who is Mr Karlsson?

9 minutes ago, GS550 said:

Wow you don't read posts at all!!

In answer to your "wrong end of the stick'" false assumption, not at all in fact.  If you read my original post again or actually read what it says for the first time by the sound of it then you would see that it's an open question.  And my point about Brennan was a fair/balanced assessment that his contribution probably would not have been bettered by Ostergaard, and again that Sedgmen and Nowak's contributions probably cancelled each other out.

I've never seen more 'what ifs' before than were in your original post. 

To ask the question what if the match had been ridden on an actual speedway track is an absolutely ridiculous comment.

4 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Who is Mr Karlsson?

Michael Max

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GS550 said:

But you knew how to ride the trick track in the league, when you won

perhaps they should have just used the result from the league match, then there would have been no need to run this match at all

• Like 1