British Speedway Forum

I think some people still seem to forget that it's a commercial enterprise, i.e. to make money.  The primary concern is not fairness or equal opportunity.  Several riders have had many wildcards, even when they've failed to enter or get through the qualifying rounds they were in but they get picked in my view, for commercial reasons e.g. Vaculik.  Lambert, Bewley, Thomsen, J Holder all failed to qualify for this year from the 2021 qualifiers.  Others finished ahead of them in the challenge but did not get wildcards.  This to me is unfair.

I prefer to see riders who are having a banging season be given the opportunity to become world champion that year because their light may fade the following year and the opportunity has been missed.  There's nothing more boring to me than seeing the same riders every time, it just gets tedious and is what many people dislike about doubling up/down in the UK.  Tennis is great in that respect - Becker at Wimbledon, Radecanu at the US open and countless other examples where someone fresh comes in and defies the odds, generating a lot of media attention.  I accept it's a different set up but the principle is that of the unknown.

On 6/15/2022 at 3:56 PM, customhouseregular said:

Once upon a time nobody got seeded. Everyone from the World Champion down started the next year from scratch. Didn’t stop Mauger winning 6, Fundin winning 5 or Briggs winning 4.

Peter Craven was seeded direct to the 1956 World Final; Barry Briggs was seeded direct to the 1958 and 1959 World Finals; Ronnie Moore was seeded direct to the 1960 World Final.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, norbold said:

Peter Craven was seeded direct to the 1956 World Final; Barry Briggs was seeded direct to the 1958 and 1959 World Finals; Ronnie Moore was seeded direct to the 1960 World Final.

Thanks for the update 

On 6/15/2022 at 8:38 AM, bruno said:

I'd have thought this would be a good meeting to stream, BSN?

Probably way way out of their remit as its an FIM meeting. Surely Discovery would have first dibs, but if they're not interested then BSN could put in an offer and as Del Boy always said he who dares wins

I have 2 e-tickets for sale for the GP challenge at Glasgow on 20th August 2022.

I'm selling them for £40 the pair (less than face value) if anyone is interested. 

Due to a sad cancellation..we have a hotel room for 2 or 3 nights..+ 2 seats at the GP Challenge...Optional Friday visit to EDINBURGH v REDCAR..give us a call..07850.162522...or (01473) 730000

James

FIM Speedway Grand Prix World Championship – Challenge 20th August 2022 – Glasgow (SCO)

1 Oliver Berntzon SVEMO Sweden

2 Vaclav Milik ACCR Czech Republic

3 Dan Bewley ACU Great Britain

4 Max Fricke MA Australia

5 Andzejs Lebedevs LaMSF Latvia

6 Rasmus Jensen DMU Denmark

7 David Bellego FFM France

8 Anders Thomsen DMU Denmark

9 Symon Wozniak PZM Poland

10 Chris Holder MA Australia

11 Rohan Tungate MA Australia

12 Robert Lambert ACU Great Britain

13 Jack Holder MA Australia

14 Dominik Kubera PZM Poland

15 Kai Huckenbeck DMSB Germany

16 Kim Nilsson SVEMO Sweden

17 Drew Kemp ACU Great Britain

18 Connor Bailey ACU Great Britain

• Like 2

Heard it's gonna be live streamed somewhere. Any links to PPV site?

That's good for me, but what will happen to the Ekstraliga play offs as riders will be involved?  R/R??

4 minutes ago, Shockster said:

That's good for me, but what will happen to the Ekstraliga play offs as riders will be involved?  R/R??

They will be off- already mentioned in their communications, as well as possibly altering start times on the Sunday if riders are struggling to travel to Poland from Glasgow.

Edited by racers and royals