British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
keepturningleft

Andrew Edwards Book & Peter Collins

I have just started reading the new book from journalist Andrew Edwards.

In it, Peter Collins opens up about his ongoing boycott of Belle Vue and the recent promotions.

All this is such a shame - it's difficult to comprehend why after all this time, PC can't find it in himself to bury the hatchet and get back to Belle Vue where he belongs.

PC must be nudging 70 by now and life is just too short to be consumed by bitterness.

PC, if by any chance you get to see this post, the thousands of fans are surely more important than the few individuals with whom you have a grievance.

You are Belle Vue's greatest living legend and would be guaranteed an overwhelming reception at the NSS.

• Like 3

Must add this title to my collection.

I am afraid PC, for all his brilliance in the track, seems to have turned into quite a sour tempered old man.

Edited by Grand Central

Just ordered the book ready for Xmas!

3 hours ago, Grand Central said:

I am afraid PC, for all his brilliance in the track, seems to have turned into quite a sour tempered old man.

Sadly I have heard from more than one source that he is not the same man since a brain haemorrhage some years ago. And if that's the case, then I think people in the position to do so, should be careful what they put into print from the PC of today, should it tarnish the reputation of someone who has made an immeasurable contribution to the sport and given so much joy to so many people in speedway. 

• Like 3

I spoke with him at length when he was commentating on a SKY meeting at Eastbourne several years ago. I found him to be good company and a really nice bloke, but i accept some peoples circumstances change.

• Like 1

Sadly Chris Morton doesn’t have any relationship with PC any more and it’s all a great shame.

• Sad 2

Not having seen the book i assume that this is Peter Collins stance on all ex riders being allowed into Belle Vue free .

it’s a shame as PC was always welcome free of charge but he demanded every ex rider was also let in free and I assume he still holds those views 

On 10/23/2021 at 12:00 AM, Bruiser said:

Not having seen the book i assume that this is Peter Collins stance on all ex riders being allowed into Belle Vue free .

it’s a shame as PC was always welcome free of charge but he demanded every ex rider was also let in free and I assume he still holds those views 

Not really a realistic stance is it? Of course it's not easy to draw the line. Riding for a speedway team is a paid job, not some sort of voluntary service.

I'd say guys like PC, Mort, Lyons, Crump are all in the bracket of those who who gave great service, always gave 100%, represented the Aces with distinction and each made a significant contribution to Belle Vue's rich history....of course they would merit free passes. There are others too. Call them lifetime members. But can anyone really argue that say Barry Ayres or Bernie Collier (sorry to pick these two...they are just two who come to mind) and everyone in between should deserve free entry for evermore?  I worked for six years stacking shelves at Tesco's to fund my student years....should I get free shopping now? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, falcace said:

Not really a realistic stance is it? Of course it's not easy to draw the line. Riding for a speedway team is a paid job, not some sort of voluntary service.

I'd say guys like PC, Mort, Lyons, Crump are all in the bracket of those who who gave great service, always gave 100%, represented the Aces with distinction and each made a significant contribution to Belle Vue's rich history....of course they would merit free passes. There are others too. Call them lifetime members. But can anyone really argue that say Barry Ayres or Bernie Collier (sorry to pick these two...they are just two who come to mind) and everyone in between should deserve free entry for evermore?  I worked for six years stacking shelves at Tesco's to fund my student years....should I get free shopping now? :rolleyes:

There are those who will disagree, I'm sure, but I'm with you 100%...

• Like 1

To be fair to PC, in terms of his foreward to the book, only a couple of paragraphs mention his stance regarding Belle Vue. Even then it is an explanation of how the author supports his view.

I tried to obtain a copy of the book thru' Waterstones but apparently it's out of print?

I've hopefully securred a copy elsewhere.

Edited by steve roberts

On 10/24/2021 at 7:19 PM, falcace said:

I worked for six years stacking shelves at Tesco's to fund my student years....should I get free shopping now? :rolleyes:

If you gave Tesco 16 years' service, entertained customers and made them come back for more... won a world title... lost a world title after shattering your leg on a sharp bit of trolley the store left in your way, needing 200 stitches, but didn’t claim compo... shattered your arm after fall on the soaking wet Tesco floor because you were forced to work in those conditions, and the injury meaning you couldn’t stack shelves as fast as before... then yes, shopping should be free.

Edited by moxey63