British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
keepturningleft

Andrew Edwards Book & Peter Collins

9 hours ago, falcace said:

Andy Campbell had a really good 1984 with Exeter

Andy's problem, I feel, was his style. He was a grass-tracker - and rode speedway like a grass-tracker. His style suited a track like Exeter, but not most other tracks. Like Andy, we had Alan Farmer, at Wimbledon, and he had the same problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

To be fair to the 1984 Aces, they only dropped nine league points (three defeats and three draws) - but the problem was Ipswich only dropped eight!  Belle Vue's away form was pretty exceptional - 9 wins, 3 draws and 3 defeats in the BL. Plus a 100% home record. Most seasons that would have seen them walk the league.  A season of two incredible sides!

Yes, but Belle Vue were good enough to win nearly every match. I would still say the team of Morton, Collins, Ross, Courtney, Smith, P Carr, McKinna is stronger than Sanders, Cook, Niemi, Doncaster, Knight, Flatman, Blackbird. Fun season though. :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, falcace said:

Courtney was 84 though. I think the big problem was that he didn't pull his weight in some narrow away losses. Really, Aces should have won the league that year, they were the strongest team. They were smashing teams at home all year. Didn't know Ingels had some success....good for him :D

Yeah sorry wasn't clear. Courtney did drop around a point (?) off his average in 84, but that was still enough to have made him a heat leader in most teams. (In 85 when he joined KL he dropped another 2 to become a sub 6pt second string). The issue was, as you say, his away form (see also Larry, Andy and Peter Carr).  At home they smashed teams - with the exception of the Premiership at home to Cradley (Finn Jensen!!!) and was it the league Cup or ko Cup against Ipswich? 

Edited by waiheke1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, falcace said:

Yes, but Belle Vue were good enough to win nearly every match. I would still say the team of Morton, Collins, Ross, Courtney, Smith, P Carr, McKinna is stronger than Sanders, Cook, Niemi, Doncaster, Knight, Flatman, Blackbird. Fun season though. :D

Glad to say that Belle Vue "only" managed a draw at Cowley that year which one could argue effectively meant that "lost" point cost them the championship! The twice rained-off meeting at Hyde Road against Swindon would have undoubtedly taken place if the championship depended upon the result but having dropped a point at Oxford earlier in the season put it out of reach of the "Aces".

Edited by steve roberts

17 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Yeah sorry wasn't clear. Courtney did drop around a point (?) off his average in 84, but that was still enough to have made him a heat leader in most teams. (In 85 when he joined KL he dropped another 2 to become a sub 6pt second string). The issue was, as you say, his away form (see also Larry, Andy and Peter Carr).  At home they smashed teams - with the exception of the Premiership at home to Cradley (Finn Jensen!!!) and was it the league Cup or ko Cup against Ipswich? 

Finn Jensen. Brilliant or dreadful. Nothing in between :-)

I remember the KO Cup Final well v Ipswich. The track was a mess...something to do with frost. We were well beaten, but when you see Mort and PC barely able to slide the bike around Hyde Road, it's not really speedway is it? 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 3:56 PM, waiheke1 said:

He went back to the states and won a few North california titles.

I think people often  under estimate the difference in strength between a top flight of 17 teams and a top flight of 11 teams, which was the shift from 84 to 85. It meant weaker heat leaders became second string quality, and second strings became reserve standard. 

Arguably that's what happenned to Courtney, Campbell and Ingels in 85. 

What’s amazing is that incredibly Hans and Erik’s averages continued to rise in 1985 to 10,38 and 11.35 respectively. (Apologies for going massively off-topic)

1 hour ago, falcace said:

Finn Jensen. Brilliant or dreadful. Nothing in between :-)

I remember the KO Cup Final well v Ipswich. The track was a mess...something to do with frost. We were well beaten, but when you see Mort and PC barely able to slide the bike around Hyde Road, it's not really speedway is it? 

You're right it was frost and I believe coupled with it being slightly over-watered. It was a strange meeting, we had been absolutely annihilated in the league at Hyde Road a couple of months before but came up full of confidence after destroying Reading at Smallmead earlier in the week to win the league so didn't know what to expect. In the end it was a very easy Ipswich win.

You mention Mort and PC being barely able to slide their bikes which is true yet Sanders, Knight Niemi and Cook had no problems, indeed (from memory) I think Richard Knight recorded one of the fastest times of the season during the meeting. A case of the home side caught out with unusual home track conditions and the away side just got on with it and rode it as they saw it?

It was a shame it did end like that though, it could have been a truly classic final. Certainly the two best sides in the league, Belle Vue the strongest on paper against a confident Ipswich side on a roll. Two teams with some great racers in them. It is mad isn't it, having the showpiece event at that time of year when the weather is likely to be the winner? We did go out onto the track well after the meeting / bars closing and I can't ever remember seeing such deep ruts on a track. And after a few steps it felt like you had a couple of bricks strapped to your feet...  

• Like 3

I certainly remember that cup final against Ipswich…something like 55-23 or something ridiculous…The track looked weird and certainly rode weird, you didn’t need to slide the bike and the times were incredibly fast , but all set by Ipswich riders !….definitely one of the strangest meetings ever.

Regarding Andy Campbell and Mark Courtney , they were Stuart Bamforth signings when he wanted young English riders ..Campbell had had a good Exeter season and was obviously great around Exeter but never really got the hang of Hyde Road….I remember being excited about Courtney coming as I thought he looked excellent for Leicester and would be a great signing but another one who never really got going for Belle Vue

• Like 2

21 hours ago, prodons said:

What’s amazing is that incredibly Hans and Erik’s averages continued to rise in 1985 to 10,38 and 11.35 respectively. (Apologies for going massively off-topic)

For the VERY top riders, the number of teams didn't really make a difference, as they would beat pretty much everyone anyway (and of course Eric's 84 average was artificially low due to his initial struggles to adapt to the new tape rules). Hans and Eric both increased averages again in 86. 

22 hours ago, Shrub said:

You're right it was frost and I believe coupled with it being slightly over-watered. It was a strange meeting, we had been absolutely annihilated in the league at Hyde Road a couple of months before but came up full of confidence after destroying Reading at Smallmead earlier in the week to win the league so didn't know what to expect. In the end it was a very easy Ipswich win.

You mention Mort and PC being barely able to slide their bikes which is true yet Sanders, Knight Niemi and Cook had no problems, indeed (from memory) I think Richard Knight recorded one of the fastest times of the season during the meeting. A case of the home side caught out with unusual home track conditions and the away side just got on with it and rode it as they saw it?

It was a shame it did end like that though, it could have been a truly classic final. Certainly the two best sides in the league, Belle Vue the strongest on paper against a confident Ipswich side on a roll. Two teams with some great racers in them. It is mad isn't it, having the showpiece event at that time of year when the weather is likely to be the winner? We did go out onto the track well after the meeting / bars closing and I can't ever remember seeing such deep ruts on a track. And after a few steps it felt like you had a couple of bricks strapped to your feet...  

20 hours ago, Bruiser said:

I certainly remember that cup final against Ipswich…something like 55-23 or something ridiculous…The track looked weird and certainly rode weird, you didn’t need to slide the bike and the times were incredibly fast , but all set by Ipswich riders !….definitely one of the strangest meetings ever.

Regarding Andy Campbell and Mark Courtney , they were Stuart Bamforth signings when he wanted young English riders ..Campbell had had a good Exeter season and was obviously great around Exeter but never really got the hang of Hyde Road….I remember being excited about Courtney coming as I thought he looked excellent for Leicester and would be a great signing but another one who never really got going for Belle Vue

Evocative stuff. Thanks for the memories! I can see from an Ipswich perspective, it would have been a lot of fun coming to Hyde Road and hammering us. From this young Aces fan though, it was no fun watching a team that had been brilliant all year suddenly looking very amateurish. :blink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waiheke1 said:

For the VERY top riders, the number of teams didn't really make a difference, as they would beat pretty much everyone anyway (and of course Eric's 84 average was artificially low due to his initial struggles to adapt to the new tape rules). Hans and Eric both increased averages again in 86. 

Yes , Erik’s average was low in 84 due to tape exclusions, partly due to struggling with the new rules and partly through Cradley lowering their early season averages to strengthen the team after it was decimated by the massive 83 team. !!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, falcace said:

Evocative stuff. Thanks for the memories! I can see from an Ipswich perspective, it would have been a lot of fun coming to Hyde Road and hammering us. From this young Aces fan though, it was no fun watching a team that had been brilliant all year suddenly looking very amateurish. :blink:

You probably felt how I felt on the journey home after the absolute stuffing you dished out in the league fixture!

And how it's felt being an Ipswich fan these past 20 or so years.....

Just started reading the book having received it as a present.

Showing potential as a light read...hoping that it gets more controversial as I delve deeper!

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Just started reading the book having received it as a present.

Showing potential as a light read...hoping that it gets more controversial as I delve deeper!

Also got it for Christmas. Nearly finished it, doesn't really progress beyond "light read." Arguably the most controversial bit is the foreword from PC...

• Like 1

Just finished the book. Some of it I wasn't particularly interested in as I have no interest in other forms of motorcycling however the chapter regarding trialling Honda engines was interesting...apparently it was never going to succeed due to hostility towards the inovation from certain quarters.

Shame that Andrew quoted BBC showing "Time Team" when in fact it was Channel 4!