British Speedway Forum
iainb

Peter Craven Memorial 23/10/21

The best 4 heats of speedway I've seen in my 38 years watching speedway tonight 

• Like 2

Should make Dan ride with a handicap... B)

Best I have seen since PC ride for the Aces, (GB)...

Hope the kid goes on to at least achieve the same if not more...

11 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

The best 4 heats of speedway I've seen in my 38 years watching speedway tonight 

I meant the best first 4 heats to a meeting I've ever seen. Not best races 

What a great meeting this was. A great way to end a good aces season with Dan winning. 

Dan was the quickest there and deserved it. 

Was good to see fricke again, he borrowed parts of everyone and just put 1 bike together, so did well to get third. The race he beat Dan on he was actually on crump bike. 

Great to also see crump, his score diddnt look to much but I think he did alright.

The young German shown alot of promise and if I was lemon hes another I'd be asking to sign as we could need some 4 pointers. He was always in thick of thr action

Harris what can I say. Some super riding and passes.  Proper legend him

Morris was putting himself in the shop window also, rode very well and had a great ride in 1 going last to first

Every race had action and it had a belle vue winner. Cant ask for any more. 

I've put the 6 rider final on my social media

@philtheace on twitter. Go take a look. Was a good race 

• Like 1

Excellent meeting with a most pleasing result with Dan winning.

Nick Morris rode out of his skin….best I have seen him ride.

Another good meeting for Tom Brennan.

Jordan Palin rode well even though he did not score well

Chris Harris… super racing as expected… bet Berwick are licking their lips at seeing him next year.

Max rode well on his bitsabike.

What a way to se the season out…. 3 great meetings SON and PCMT.

• Like 1

That's me done for 2021, was thinking about the Olympique tomorrow, but the line-up looks a bit 2nd rate... and what a way to finish 2021! SoN x 2 and this. Just about every race had something and the 6 rider final was quite spectacular, the people of Manchester are so lucky to have this facility on their door step, yet I thought the crowd was quite disappointing, hardly surprising when the event had very little promotion.

I don't know why Fricke was scratching around for bike parts as he was only riding at BV 6 days ago, personally I think it's a bit sad watching Crumpy ride unable to win races and for me the sooner he calls it quits the better.

One thing I must comment on, having attended 3 matches at the NSS in 6 days, is the meeting presentation could be a bit better, specifically the music that is played, it was identical for all 3 events and just sounds like a mix tape that has been put together at the beginning of the season and is just played through the meeting with the same songs in the same order and all of the tracks are a bit "niche", no fan favourite party anthems.

More amazing racing from the NSS but I think six man races are a huge  mistake.

Given the high speeds of the NSS, the potential for serious carnage is not acceptable, bearing in mind we saw two dreadful accidents just seven days previously.

I thought the idea of six man races had been put to bed years ago and in fact wasn't it Mark Loram for one, who refused to take part in them.

Also, it's nigh on impossible to keep track of who's who in a six man race.

Ironically, one of the last meetings at Hyde Road, the Ivan Mauger farewell, used 6 man races at the instigation of Ivan himself I believe.

It was deemed not succesful at the time.  4 riders is the tradition - please stop fixing things that aren't broken.

Agree with the above poster about the music especially given the average age of the crowd. Ok we don't expect Yellow River by Christie but it can't be hard to find a compromise.

Enough of the negatives, the NSS is a phenomenal race track and we are so lucky to have it!

• Like 1

Well done Dan.... the odds on favourite brings home the bacon for the Belle Vue fans. :-) 

Iainb mentions the attendance .... maybe folks are skint after attending so many meetings in the past several days. ? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

More amazing racing from the NSS but I think six man races are a huge  mistake.

Given the high speeds of the NSS, the potential for serious carnage is not acceptable, bearing in mind we saw two dreadful accidents just seven days previously.

I thought the idea of six man races had been put to bed years ago and in fact wasn't it Mark Loram for one, who refused to take part in them.

Also, it's nigh on impossible to keep track of who's who in a six man race.

Ironically, one of the last meetings at Hyde Road, the Ivan Mauger farewell, used 6 man races at the instigation of Ivan himself I believe.

It was deemed not succesful at the time.  4 riders is the tradition - please stop fixing things that aren't broken.

Agree with the above poster about the music especially given the average age of the crowd. Ok we don't expect Yellow River by Christie but it can't be hard to find a compromise.

Enough of the negatives, the NSS is a phenomenal race track and we are so lucky to have it!

Funnily enough I was listening to a podcast yesterday with Lemo and he was of the opinion that some of the riders have gone soft and it's good that 6 rider races put them out of their comfort zone at times, he cited the Czech Golden helmet as an example of 6 rider races and they're ok on tracks that can handle 6 riders. Personally I think the accidents at the SoN were a result of the poor track prep on Day 1 of the event. For me I thought the 6 rider race was quite spectacular... as a one off only though.

Edited by iainb

Really good meeting full of great racing, a good way to go into the winter, lets hope the right decisions are made for the benefit of the sport, we get a decent sized league and discovery do a good job in spreading the word.