Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Tosh1218

2022 Teams & Points average

Don't disagree with you. How the team finishing 6th can potentially call themselves champions is a lot of nonsense. By all means have post season play offs for say young shield or craven trophy or whatever they want but top of the league are champions. Rugby league would be the example to follow on this front

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ray c said:

surely if we dont finish it we will have to be  crowned CHAMPIONS  as we finished top :cheers::t:

Might have to share it! ;) Depends how much of it gets completed I guess. 

11 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Might have to share it! ;) Depends how much of it gets completed I guess. 

Why not have the play-offs at the start of the season, than have the league to see who should've won? ;)

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Don't disagree with you. How the team finishing 6th can potentially call themselves champions is a lot of nonsense. By all means have post season play offs for say young shield or craven trophy or whatever they want but top of the league are champions. Rugby league would be the example to follow on this front

this

Did nobody clock the crowds at Belle Vue and Peterboro last week?      These massive roll-ups will have doubled, even trebled, the respective promotions' revenue over a regular meeting.

Similarly, what about the huge interest in the soccer play-offs each year as clubs battle for promotion in their various leagues?     Or the full-house attendances at ice-hockey play-offs at Nottingham every season?        The revenue from being involved in play-offs is a massive boost to any club's financial year, and in some cases could make a difference between failing or surviving.       

Regardless of the "fairness" of it, they are here to stay, and the season-long league table is a qualification process, no more, no less.    It is up to the promotions at every track to make their regular matches bright and entertaining enough to keep them close to their budget, while aiming for a shot at glory in the play-offs to put icing on the cake.

Yes, speedway is a sport.  It is also a business.     Run a straightforward league with only one winner and see if you can stay in business.

Money talks.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Did nobody clock the crowds at Belle Vue and Peterboro last week?      These massive roll-ups will have doubled, even trebled, the respective promotions' revenue over a regular meeting.

Similarly, what about the huge interest in the soccer play-offs each year as clubs battle for promotion in their various leagues?     Or the full-house attendances at ice-hockey play-offs at Nottingham every season?        The revenue from being involved in play-offs is a massive boost to any club's financial year, and in some cases could make a difference between failing or surviving.       

Regardless of the "fairness" of it, they are here to stay, and the season-long league table is a qualification process, no more, no less.    It is up to the promotions at every track to make their regular matches bright and entertaining enough to keep them close to their budget, while aiming for a shot at glory in the play-offs to put icing on the cake.

Yes, speedway is a sport.  It is also a business.     Run a straightforward league with only one winner and see if you can stay in business.

Money talks.

You've just contradicted your own point. "Soccer" play offs in football league are for clubs 3rd to 6th!! You know what the team that win the league are called.... Champions!!!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

You've just contradicted your own point. "Soccer" play offs in football league are for clubs 3rd to 6th!! You know what the team that win the league are called.... Champions!!!

But it's the third promoter club that gets the biggest windfall thanks to the playoff route 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marshall07 said:

But it's the third promoter club that gets the biggest windfall thanks to the playoff route 

Take that up with Dick it's his point, I'm just pointing out the contradiction in his point. As I said before, I'd follow rugby league format. They have a league leaders shield gets awarded then the play offs have a grand final.

13 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Take that up with Dick it's his point, I'm just pointing out the contradiction in his point. As I said before, I'd follow rugby league format. They have a league leaders shield gets awarded then the play offs have a grand final.

His point though is that instead of having the top 3 just promoted they create a playoff for the third place as it's a big money thing. I'm not sure if Poole, or any club, would care if they were given a shield for topping the league. They want to win the grand final

Always happy to have a good discussion on here....

My point is that play-offs attract people to speedway, create considerable revenue and keep the sport viable.

Regarding the "top team wins the title" argument, the rules are laid down before the season, so everyone knows what's what.

Taking it a stage further, what about this past weekend?     

Are Poland the "real" World Champions, with Denmark on the silver medal?

Or were those last two races not worth the admission, or TV money alone?

Edited by crescent girl

19 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Regarding rugby league. It's the winner of the grand final who is considered to have won the best prize. League leader's shield is considered second prize.

10 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Always happy to have a good discussion on here....

My point is that play-offs attract people to speedway, create considerable revenue and keep the sport viable.

Regarding the "top team wins the title" argument, the rules are laid down before the season, so everyone knows what's what.

Taking it a stage further, what about this past weekend?     

Are Poland the "real" World Champions, with Denmark on the silver medal?

Or were those last two races not worth the admission, or TV money alone?

Yes in my mind they are. Were significantly better over 2 days and for example could to lose it due to an engine failure at the gate. That's highly unfair IMO

I understand the concept, but do the top 6 in the gp go into a head to head over who is world champ? Do mercedes and red bull have a race off in F1 to see whose world champions? It's an Americanism which may work in some instances but in Motorsport is something I wholeheartedly disagree with.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, crescent girl said:

Money talks.

That's all well and good but take the example of the 2003 season...

Edinburgh won their first ever title. We went top of the league at the end of August after a victory at Glasgow (sorry Weegies, I had to mention it!). The following Friday (5 Sept), we raced IoW (or PoS as I used to call them) at sunny Armadale and the place was packed. From that meeting on, 'til the season finale on 31 October, crowds were well above 'normal' levels. 9 meetings' worth of barely being able to move on the terraces.

Compare that with your play-off scenario above. 2 home meetings. 3 in the Championship. And also add in the fact that you've diluted the League programme into qualifying skootaboots, it's hardly surprising the casual punter doesn't turn up 'til the 'business end' nowadays.

It wouldn't surprise me if the play-offs actually cost clubs money every year which, in turn, leads to the dropping of standards across the board at all levels, which in turn leads to even lower crowd numbers, etc., etc.

Poole Pirates - the people's Championship Champions 2021.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, King Jamie said:

That's all well and good but take the example of the 2003 season...

Edinburgh won their first ever title. We went top of the league at the end of August after a victory at Glasgow (sorry Weegies, I had to mention it!). The following Friday (5 Sept), we raced IoW (or PoS as I used to call them) at sunny Armadale and the place was packed. From that meeting on, 'til the season finale on 31 October, crowds were well above 'normal' levels. 9 meetings' worth of barely being able to move on the terraces.

Compare that with your play-off scenario above. 2 home meetings. 3 in the Championship. And also add in the fact that you've diluted the League programme into qualifying skootaboots, it's hardly surprising the casual punter doesn't turn up 'til the 'business end' nowadays.

It wouldn't surprise me if the play-offs actually cost clubs money every year which, in turn, leads to the dropping of standards across the board at all levels, which in turn leads to even lower crowd numbers, etc., etc.

Poole Pirates - the people's Championship Champions 2021.

I like it, not sure we have ever been described as the 'people's league champions' before though! Lol.

But of a tongue twister too! Try saying it really fast ;)

2 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Why not have the play-offs at the start of the season, than have the league to see who should've won? ;)

Ooooh I like it! :D No stressin' about the weather.