British Speedway Forum

You either use averages, or you dont..

You cannot cherry pick when to use them or not...

As is clear, they are no means an accurate measure anyway of any riders capability given how many variables are involved in attaining them..

UK Speedways default position though is often to bring subjectivity into what is basically a specific data based maths system, that they slavishly, and misguidedly follow, and amazingly, base their whole "team strengths" concept on..

22 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Interesting that Wolves were aware of his intentions and said no to a rider on a complete steal of an average.

That sounds to me like he is asking for terms well above what clubs will now pay, if he eventually does do a deal somewhere I hope we don’t see another club going to the wall trying to pay it.

For any team it is a big risk to sign any "Superstar" I would suggest.. 

You will inevitably get that "novelty bounce" and have "Bumper Crowds" for maybe the first few weeks..

(Bearing in mind, "Bumper Crowds" are probably only 500 to 800 more or so in real terms given the ultra low starting points for so many clubs)..

Then, when the novelty wears off, it will become interesting to see how sustainable it all would be..

Especially as we can watch these "Superstars" many times a week in Sweden, Poland, SEC, and the GP's via TV...

Ironically the away teams would be the ones who could benefit the most given they would have a "Superstar" visiting and wont be paying him anything..

Having someone like Tai over here would be a huge shot in the arm for the sport though, so, for once, maybe all should work together to make it happen, and all share the rewards of having him ride here, as collectively all should benefit...

With even the most basic marketing strategy to announce his presence being enough to get some cut through locally at each track..

Edited by mikebv

3 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

Interesting that Wolves were aware of his intentions and said no to a rider on a complete steal of an average.

That sounds to me like he is asking for terms well above what clubs will now pay, if he eventually does do a deal somewhere I hope we don’t see another club going to the wall trying to pay it.

BV won’t go to the wall. We are owned by a very wealthy man. 

He runs the club within its financial boundaries, it’s why he’s such a successful businessman.

Its what will stop this deal potentially, if he goes into his own pocket then Tai will be at BV next season

Bjarne Pedersen didn't get any reduction last season he had to do it all himself !!

Bet Mr Pearson is warming up his woofy woofy woofy calls 

Edited by scoobydoo

1 hour ago, acef said:

BV won’t go to the wall. We are owned by a very wealthy man. 

He runs the club within its financial boundaries, it’s why he’s such a successful businessman.

Its what will stop this deal potentially, if he goes into his own pocket then Tai will be at BV next season

You were totally confident yesterday.

We have to remember, if they don't pull it off the  we can count our lucky stars that there is no relegation 

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with getting relegated!;) Although I do hope BV pull this Tai deal off as it would be great to see him riding in UK again.

23 hours ago, mikebv said:

For any team it is a big risk to sign any "Superstar" I would suggest.. 

You will inevitably get that "novelty bounce" and have "Bumper Crowds" for maybe the first few weeks..

(Bearing in mind, "Bumper Crowds" are probably only 500 to 800 more or so in real terms given the ultra low starting points for so many clubs)..

Then, when the novelty wears off, it will become interesting to see how sustainable it all would be..

Especially as we can watch these "Superstars" many times a week in Sweden, Poland, SEC, and the GP's via TV...

Ironically the away teams would be the ones who could benefit the most given they would have a "Superstar" visiting and wont be paying him anything..

Having someone like Tai over here would be a huge shot in the arm for the sport though, so, for once, maybe all should work together to make it happen, and all share the rewards of having him ride here, as collectively all should benefit...

With even the most basic marketing strategy to announce his presence being enough to get some cut through locally at each track..

Without going into details, when Chris Holder and Darcy Ward were riding together at Poole, there was a suggestion by another team that they would sign a GP star for their team as long as each away track paid them £1,000 when he rode at their venue. The Poole promotion pointed out that some of the best crowds other teams had were when Poole brought Chris and Darcy to their tracks - more because they wanted to see their riders beat these two upstart Aussies rather than because they wanted to admire their skills! - and Poole hadn’t asked to be compensated. But we would if there was to be a GP star levy. The matter wasn’t mentioned again. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SUPERACE said:

You were totally confident yesterday.

I think we will find the money. 

1 hour ago, PhilTheAce said:

We have to remember, if they don't pull it off the  we can count our lucky stars that there is no relegation 

That sounds ominous.  Especially reading Grahame Darlington's posts on the subject.  He is a balanced and sensible poster who is mostly correct about things Wolverhampton, so not good.

Assuming that we don't get Tai then we would need to get three riders who combined, would be better than the Worralls and Etheridge.  Allen and/or BWD might fit but who else? 

It doesn't seem like Bjerre or Tungagte are possible so you might be right Phil, a year of struggle!  I really hope not.

CVS runs a tight and successful ship and they have an excellent long-term sponsor. Why kill the Club? 

If you were to start at 4 or 5 grand a meeting for Tai minimum then I don't think you'd be far out. 

Thats 8 to 10k extra per home match to cover away match so you're looking at around 500 extra people paying. 

The only team who could even 50% match that week after week us probably BV. 

Tai has backing already from the likes of ATPI and Rentruk so it may need them and other big sponsors to find the rest. 

53 minutes ago, HGould said:

CVS runs a tight and successful ship and they have an excellent long-term sponsor. Why kill the Club? 

If you were to start at 4 or 5 grand a meeting for Tai minimum then I don't think you'd be far out. 

Thats 8 to 10k extra per home match to cover away match so you're looking at around 500 extra people paying. 

The only team who could even 50% match that week after week us probably BV. 

Tai has backing already from the likes of ATPI and Rentruk so it may need them and other big sponsors to find the rest. 

If you think tai will put 500 plus on the gate, it will not happen. When tai last rode for wolves people said he would put 500 600 on the gate ever week well the fact is that did not happen. On saying that it would be great to see tai ride over here again 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trackerman48 said:

If you think tai will put 500 plus on the gate, it will not happen. When tai last rode for wolves people said he would put 500 600 on the gate ever week well the fact is that did not happen. On saying that it would be great to see tai ride over here again 

I agree with you, that's why I'm suggesting that to cover his possible demands they would need a huge sponsorship hike even if they could average 250 more at home matches.

I estimate they would need the equivalent income of 500 more per home meeting....not gonna happen is it?

The ones that will ultimately pay for Woffinden will be those who come through the turnstiles and with many  price hikes in everyday living in the UK to come during 2022 its a big gamble to expect the crowds to increase , is it worth it for a rider who has turned his back on the UK for the past few years , Eastbourne got it wrong lets hope that if Belle Vue do sign Woffinden they dont end up in the same mess.

2 hours ago, coldace said:

That sounds ominous.  Especially reading Grahame Darlington's posts on the subject.  He is a balanced and sensible poster who is mostly correct about things Wolverhampton, so not good.

Assuming that we don't get Tai then we would need to get three riders who combined, would be better than the Worralls and Etheridge.  Allen and/or BWD might fit but who else? 

It doesn't seem like Bjerre or Tungagte are possible so you might be right Phil, a year of struggle!  I really hope not.

What thread is that post on mate, wouldn't mind reading it.