British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, SUPERACE said:

Plenty of examples of Poole sacking riders.  I think was time for a change for Stevie he had gone stale at BV

Yes but not as ruthless as they used to be, but every team has sacked riders at some stage.

My point still stands though, a few BV fans wanted the Worrall's out, so now they are, they should be happy with whatever the team is right?

I see Chris Holder is back over here from Australia now (well assuming it is UK) so ready to sign a contract?? ;)

6 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Yes but not as ruthless as they used to be, but every team has sacked riders at some stage.

My point still stands though, a few BV fans wanted the Worrall's out, so now they are, they should be happy with whatever the team is right?

I see Chris Holder is back over here from Australia now (well assuming it is UK) so ready to sign a contract?? ;)

That doesn't make sense.  You can want change and not be happy with the said change.

10 hours ago, PhilTheAce said:

We have to remember, if they don't pull it off the  we can count our lucky stars that there is no relegation 

As you will know more than most Phil, there has been many a year over the past 20 or so when the Aces have been pretty much cannon fodder....

Yet even when having pretty much zero chance of a successful season, crowds held up reasonably well, with the only year I remember being 'dodgy' was the one where we re-signed Jason Crump after a walloping off Wolves at home. Desperately needed at the time as crowds were becoming 'worrying' after several defeats on the bounce..

Unlike some teams, the Aces seem to have a loyal following who will be there regardless of how the team is doing...

One of the very few pluses of the sport being virtually ignored by the media, and having pretty much zero financial gain and publicity by winning any title, means that fans (in the main), put the sport first before their team, and, regardless of results, many will still be there most weeks to watch the 'entertainment' on offer...

And the NSS definitely provides that, and Max Fricke will certainly be worth watching in particular..

2 hours ago, 847084 said:

Ivan Mauger did a season for Exeter only riding in the home meetings: so it has been done before.

Years gone by maybe, wouldn't happen the way Speedway is run now 

16 minutes ago, mikebv said:

As you will know more than most Phil, there has been many a year over the past 20 or so when the Aces have been pretty much cannon fodder....

Yet even when having pretty much zero chance of a successful season, crowds held up reasonably well, with the only year I remember being 'dodgy' was the one where we re-signed Jason Crump after a walloping off Wolves at home. Desperately needed at the time as crowds were becoming 'worrying' after several defeats on the bounce..

Unlike some teams, the Aces seem to have a loyal following who will be there regardless of how the team is doing...

One of the very few pluses of the sport being virtually ignored by the media, and having pretty much zero financial gain and publicity by winning any title, means that fans (in the main), put the sport first before their team, and, regardless of results, many will still be there most weeks to watch the 'entertainment' on offer...

And the NSS definitely provides that, and Max Fricke will certainly be worth watching in particular..

My view is most teams have fans who turn up however their team is doing, what you are saying is more Belle Vue fans turn up than most. It is certainly true success helps attendances and I believe a different team manager would help you in that regard. 

If rider's were allowed to pick & choose where they ride, Ipswich & Wolverhampton fixtures would be pretty tough to fulfil as they're not enjoyable places to go as an away rider by choice. 

Might seem extreme but Fricke, Kurtz, Wright & Brennan all signed, I'd get on the phone to zee germans and see if Smolinksi fancied coming over with Blodorn then moving for Jake Allen to complete the Septet

1. Fricke

2. Allen

3. Smolinksi

4. Wright

5. Kurtz

6. Blodorn

7. Brennan

Might not be as thrilling as a Tai but think it could finish top 4

1 hour ago, SUPERACE said:

That doesn't make sense.  You can want change and not be happy with the said change.

Sounds a bit moany to me! If they wanted them out and now they are they should be happy no? Got what they wanted. But then if they knew who was available would they want the original change not to be changed after all? 

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

My view is most teams have fans who turn up however their team is doing, what you are saying is more Belle Vue fans turn up than most. It is certainly true success helps attendances and I believe a different team manager would help you in that regard. 

Maybe, but let's be honest...

A 'successful team' still wont generate even another (in reality) low number of 500 or so every week, (500 though being a huge % increase amazingly), as has been proven at most tracks....

The play off system seems to prevent incremental growth throughout a successful season, but does give a higher than usual (but still not massive), attendance in the 'semi', and a minimum 100% increase, (or maybe more?) of a usual attendance in the final..

The Aces have been "successful" in the main since going to the NSS and attendances are week on week not much different whether doing well or not...

The sport is pretty much down to die hards who will rock up to watch it in whatever guise it is, no matter how 'their team' is doing..

And, ironically, as long as your die hards stay with you, a 'poor season' might actually be better financially...

Edited by mikebv

8 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Maybe, but let's be honest...

A 'successful team' still wont generate even another (in reality) low number of 500 or so every week, (500 though being a huge % increase amazingly), as has been proven at most tracks....

The play off system seems to prevent incremental growth throughout a successful season, but does give a higher than usual (but still not massive), attendance in the 'semi', and a minimum 100% increase, (or maybe more?) of a usual attendance in the final..

The Aces have been "successful" in the main since going to the NSS and attendances are week on week not much different whether doing well or not...

The sport is pretty much down to die hards who will rock up to watch it in whatever guise it is, no matter how 'their team' is doing..

And, ironically, as long as your die hards stay with you, a 'poor season' might actually be better financially...

I think your amazing track has a lot to do with crowd sizes, play offs make a big difference at most clubs and is a money spinner for the clubs involved. I have been to many play offs and went to Peterborough for the final as I was working in the area at the time and most would tell you it wasn't the normal crowd size. I don't think play offs are the problem and are usually fantastic race meetings, obviously I realise not so fantastic for Belle Vue fans! I don't know the answer but I don't think that the sport needs to encourage younger fans somehow. 

5 hours ago, PhilTheAce said:

Putting it like that. Probably yes 

In reality this was all an elaborate dream and you belle Vue fans have just woke up :D

9 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

After witnessing richie’s reaction at Peterborough being pulled out of his final ride I never expected him to resign, hope to see him back in the future. 
Steve definitely needs time away, had some good meetings this season but when it comes to crunch time has not delivered. He knows it and I think has looked elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Chrisdonnelly said:

After witnessing richie’s reaction at Peterborough being pulled out of his final ride I never expected him to resign, hope to see him back in the future. 
Steve definitely needs time away, had some good meetings this season but when it comes to crunch time has not delivered. He knows it and I think has looked elsewhere.

You could say that about a couple of riders in the final, to me it looked like Peterborough wanted it more. 

9 hours ago, Wolfie456 said:

In reality this was all an elaborate dream and you belle Vue fans have just woke up :D

Wasn't really a dream because he wanted to come, :D

16 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

You could say that about a couple of riders in the final, to me it looked like Peterborough wanted it more. 

100% this,