British Speedway Forum

What are the chances of enticing young J Lidsey back, given the rumours about Swedish speedway's financial situation.

M Fricke'

C Wright

C Holder ??????

J Lidsey ??????

B Kurzt.

????

T Brennen.

Almost team Australia.

3 minutes ago, hyderd said:

What are the chances of enticing young J Lidsey back, given the rumours about Swedish speedway's financial situation.

M Fricke'

C Wright

C Holder ??????

J Lidsey ??????

B Kurzt.

????

T Brennen.

Almost team Australia.

Holder and lidsey already signed in Sweden. 

I do think we could persuade holder to drop Sweden though

5 minutes ago, PhilTheAce said:

Holder and lidsey already signed in Sweden. 

I do think we could persuade holder to drop Sweden though

Is Swedish speedway in a mess financially, or are we British fans putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 3. If it is though and  B Vue can put a deal together that suits both parties, then Holder could be the difference between P/Off contestants and bottom 2. We need a good 3rd heat leader or our season is doomed.

On 1/8/2022 at 10:25 PM, Daniel Smith said:

If rider's were allowed to pick & choose where they ride, Ipswich & Wolverhampton fixtures would be pretty tough to fulfil as they're not enjoyable places to go as an away rider by choice. 

Can add kings Lynns ploughed field of the past few seasons to that too if you’re gonna throw shade from your arm chair, tracks been absolutely dreadful every time I’ve visited in each of the past 3/4 seasons

Have been hoping for some time that Chris Holder could potentially be one of BV's signings. Can see him going really well at the NSS and the move could reignite his career. Here's hoping.

As far as Tai is concerned, I'm really glad the Aces didn't give into his supposed demands. It just wouldn't work and the team would end up feeling fragmented and not as one. 

26 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Have been hoping for some time that Chris Holder could potentially be one of BV's signings. Can see him going really well at the NSS and the move could reignite his career. Here's hoping.

As far as Tai is concerned, I'm really glad the Aces didn't give into his supposed demands. It just wouldn't work and the team would end up feeling fragmented and not as one. 

If any sport lent itself to having a "drop in" competitor it is Speedway. (In the UK)...

Any team can have any rider on any night, therefore a 'drop in rider' is part and parcel of the sport already..

Basically the set up is just designed to achieve (at least) six riders for each team, each meeting, (could be any riders at all as long as it comes within a certain average number), and we are then good to go..

Can't see too much impact to team spirit if one of your team is there, then isnt, then is, then isnt again etc etc..  

And through the season plenty of riders will invariably "drop in" and align themselves with their "team mates" maybe even just for one evening only..

A shame it couldnt happen at every top level track, as the fans would definitely respond in numbers, and clubs wouldn't need to find money to pay for two meetings from their one match income..

Maybe even the Eurosport cash could be used to assist paying a "superstar" at each track..?

As for Sweden? Considering it appears that many believe it is in financial meltdown, a good many "superstars" have already signed on the dotted line, so you can only presume that they have confidence in getting paid...

Maybe the Aces could persuade Dan B to drop Sweden? I presume Woffy wasnt coming "cheap" so could a fair proportion of this salary be put in front of Dan?

6 minutes ago, mikebv said:

If any sport lent itself to having a "drop in" competitor it is Speedway. (In the UK)...

Any team can have any rider on any night, therefore a 'drop in rider' is part and parcel of the sport already..

Basically the set up is just designed to achieve (at least) six riders for each team, each meeting, (could be any riders at all as long as it comes within a certain average number), and we are then good to go..

Can't see too much impact to team spirit if one of your team is there, then isnt, then is, then isnt again etc etc..  

And through the season plenty of riders will invariably "drop in" and align themselves with their "team mates" maybe even just for one evening only..

A shame it couldnt happen at every top level track, as the fans would definitely respond in numbers, and clubs wouldn't need to find money to pay for two meetings from their one match income..

Maybe even the Eurosport cash could be used to assist paying a "superstar" at each track..?

As for Sweden? Considering it appears that many believe it is in financial meltdown, a good many "superstars" have already signed on the dotted line, so you can only presume that they have confidence in getting paid...

Maybe the Aces could persuade Dan B to drop Sweden? I presume Woffy wasnt coming "cheap" so could a fair proportion of this salary be put in front of Dan?

Hi MikeBV

My personal thoughts only but I think having a rider just doing your home meetings would be bad for team morale. Plus, I think fans would find it difficult to both identify and connect with the team. The way I see it, you have seven riders who are all part of your team both home and away. Hopefully, this creates a special bond between the riders as was demonstrated by Peterborough last year.

I know the guest situation raises a lot of questions with supporters etc but if I was to tell my mates that one of BV's riders was only involved in home meetings they'd think it was pretty much ridiculous. 

44 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Hi MikeBV

My personal thoughts only but I think having a rider just doing your home meetings would be bad for team morale. Plus, I think fans would find it difficult to both identify and connect with the team. The way I see it, you have seven riders who are all part of your team both home and away. Hopefully, this creates a special bond between the riders as was demonstrated by Peterborough last year.

I know the guest situation raises a lot of questions with supporters etc but if I was to tell my mates that one of BV's riders was only involved in home meetings they'd think it was pretty much ridiculous. 

To be honest a rider only doing home meetings wouldn't be the most ridiculous thing about UK speedway!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Hi MikeBV

Get what you are saying, but also telling your mates that you can improve your own teams chances of winning at any given moment, by borrowing a better rider from a rival team may sound even more ridiculous.. :D

For me, and many, many others, the sport doesnt have much credibility (in the UK), but can still be an excellent entertaining night out, and if you had a name which attracts if nothing else "lapsed fans" who recognise him, it would boost crowds by a large double digit % amount I would suggest..

For those who still attend regularly the sport's "unique irregularities" are clearly accepted by them as "fine", so from a loss of customer base angle, whatever those who run the sport do is pretty much "bomb proof" so crowds will loyally remain...

Getting newbies to attend regularly (in fact just getting them to become newbies by attending at all), is a major challenge, so getting the many lapsed tens of thousands of fans who still have an interest, and still follow the sport very closely, is vital...

I would suggest that there are far more fans of the sport who dont attend regularly, than those who do, and these people will be more fans of the sport than any team in particular..

In the UK "Team Speedway" is a bit of a misnomer with its context being stretched to it's most tenuous breaking point..

Therefore. Having, for example, Nicki P riding for Wolves on a Monday, against the Aces, and Tai riding for the Aces on a Thursday against Wolves, would generate a fair few hundred extra through the turnstiles at both venues..

Bottom line is that they would have a far greater impact on the sports' future growth than any fans being disgruntled by a bit of a "contrived" ruling..

As, let's face it, it's not like there isnt enough of that going on already, so a bit more (but this time some "contrived rules" which positively impact, the sport), wouldnt raise too many eyebrows..

Sad it wont happen and we will no doubt end up with more of the uninspiring  "same old, same old" next season...

Edited by mikebv

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Something like that would only work if all teams had someone like a GP rider in their home meeting, and could attract a decent guest for their away fixture. Personally I would love Tai to commit to B Vue home and away, even if it was only 1 season. if he can't or won't then I would prefer someone like K Bjerre full time in our 1-7 than a P/T expensive Tai Woffinden. 

4 hours ago, Tinker said:

Hi MikeBV

Personally I think it is unfair to have a team knowingly go into half of their meetings with only 6 riders. It allows them to choose between r/r or a guest they know goes well around an away track. Not really what I want to see, it would be much like Peterborough last year when Ulrich got injured and then continued to run with 6 riders, knowing he was out for the season.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

To be honest a rider only doing home meetings wouldn't be the most ridiculous thing about UK speedway!

Its up there though. 

Imagine a newbie attending BV and Woffy scoring a max , then newbie going to Ipswich a week later and asking why Woffy isnt there. 

“Because he can only be bothered to ride home matches”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinny said:

Its up there though. 

Imagine a newbie attending BV and Woffy scoring a max , then newbie going to Ipswich a week later and asking why Woffy isnt there. 

“Because he can only be bothered to ride home matches”

Imagine a newbie going to Ipswich a week later and finding that the Aces best rider that they had watched the week before at the NSS, was actually Ipswich's No1 rider... :D

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Imagine a newbie going to Ipswich a week later and finding that the Aces best rider that they had watched the week before at the NSS, was actually Ipswich's No1 rider... :D

Because the BV rider is injured (it's a dangerous sport and to give fans value for money team strength is all important) and this guy is guesting ..... perfectly understandable!  Then the spiel goes speedway is nothing like any other team sport, it's not got the money to have 'reserves' of all qualities akin to football so guest riders for top men is the way it has to be organised otherwise the team with am injured rider would 100% lose, the fans wouldn't turn up for an uncompetitive meeting, it can't survive without fans, the club would shutdown!

• Like 1