British Speedway Forum

13 minutes ago, PhilTheAce said:

Adrian Smith stands down

Mark lemon takes over 

Massive loss to the club…..and to the sport, he was one of the few who kept the top table on their toes.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Massive loss to the club…..and to the sport, he was one of the few who kept the top table on their toes.

Lots of challenge about the operating model, and how change was needed to move the sport forward as he saw the operating model as something that prevented growth rather than something which encouraged and ultimitely facilitated it..

The sport does seem to lose far too many decent, modern thinking people all too frequently..

Whilst keeping many of those who appear "quite happy" with their lot...

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Lots of challenge about the operating model, and how change was needed to move the sport forward as he saw the operating model as something that prevented growth rather than something which encouraged and ultimitely facilitated it..

The sport does seem to lose far too many decent, modern thinking people all too frequently..

Whilst keeping many of those who appear "quite happy" with their lot...

It does indeed

Adrian Smith in my experience of dealing with him is a highly gifted businessman..adroit, erudite, smart and honest exactly what the sport needs on the top table.....I do wish Lemmo well, he is a smart operator, knows the sport inside out and will do a good job at B. Vue.

• Like 3

I think there will be mixed views on this. He’s certainly been part of the team that has kept BV alive since the bankruptcy of the previous promotion, but they’ve not really moved things forward, have they?

Part of the original concept for the NSS was that it was to be a training hub for young riders, operated by BV. That never happened and it was only because of the hard work of Ian Sinderson (ATPI) Richard Cotton (Rentruck) and a whole host of others through “No Limits” that any training took place at the NSS. Ultimately, the bulk of the training took place away from the NSS as the rent requested by BV made it non-viable for No Limits.

If you look at what Glasgow, Berwick and Isle of Wight have done in the last few years, and compare that to the efforts of BV, the picture, to me, is one of under achievement. Perhaps if there is a change of management, and at the moment, it’s not clear if Mr Smith has just stood down as a promoter, then progress on all fronts - promotion, community involvement and training - will be made. 

• Like 1

Think we have to think honestly about Belle Vue & British Speedway in general, I think they'll be in serious trouble come the end of the season. 

With the pandemic & now the 'Cost of Living' challenges for the next 5yrs minimum things are gonna be really really tough for the sport

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Think we have to think honestly about Belle Vue & British Speedway in general, I think they'll be in serious trouble come the end of the season. 

With the pandemic & now the 'Cost of Living' challenges for the next 5yrs minimum things are gonna be really really tough for the sport

Which confuses me even more how so many do things in splendid isolation..

We all know credibility of the leagues is a huge issue when it comes to engaging people to follow it at an emotional loyalty level, yet nothing is done to sort this collectively...

We also know that very few sports run where the clubs (and competitors), pick and choose by themselves what league they compete in, based on nothing more than their own needs and wants....

However, anyone coming in to the sport who suggests that such a fundamental barrier to the sports' growth needs to be knocked down, seem to get short shrift...

Usually, it seems, by those who cannot see further than their own small fiefdom..

They will be saving a few Bob, Adrian would have been on a fair salary, Mark will get a wage rise probably do away with the director of speedway role 

Where does it say that Smith is going to be 'lost to the sport'?  

The announcement is just about him stepping down from his BV CEO role!

4 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Speedway fans aka homeowner pensioners are sheltered from the cost of living.

Their homes rise by several percent each year. They also receive state pensions that rise by inflation.

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

Their homes rise by several percent each year. They also receive state pensions that rise by inflation.

:icon_smile_clown:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

And I will be joining them in September as I hit 55....

You just make sure you keep working hard to ensure the economy prospers and my pension remains a good one....

And keep paying those taxes too, so when I need the NHS in my frail dotage, they can spend thousands on me.....

I may even buy a season ticket the year after for the Aces...

So no slacking......

NOT a surprise really, the big surprise it took so long. BV has been badly managed by these to clowns. Smith knew nothing about speedway and judging by the losses at bv next to nothing about business. Lemon who’s clueless about business and by bv results and team management knows very little about running a speedway team. At the bottom line you have to look at the owners off bv for making very poor appointments in a sport and business the know nothing about. Clearly they thought they could make a quick profit and how wrong have they been. Lemon in charge is yet another serious desperate blunder. Where this will take bv is anybody guess but the future looks very uncertain.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Where does it say that Smith is going to be 'lost to the sport'?  

The announcement is just about him stepping down from his BV CEO role!

I think the goal posts have moved on that one and there’s nowhere now for him to go within speedway 

3 hours ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

Current UK inflation rate is 5.4% and forecast to rise further Pensions will rise by 3.1% in April so how is that rising by inflation ?.

• Like 4