British Speedway Forum

39 minutes ago, Col said:

I am assuming points limit is 42.5 as Sheffield team adds upto 42.37 if Mountain is 3.00 as RS rather than the 3.14 he attained, which if he was 3.14 takes Tigers to 42.51 according to my spreadsheet!

Fricke, Kurtz, Wright, Brennan (3.00?) & Etheridge leave 12.13 assuming Blodorn is 4.00, it leaves 8.13.

The RS average is not included in the team building total

51 minutes ago, Col said:

I am assuming points limit is 42.5 as Sheffield team adds upto 42.37 if Mountain is 3.00 as RS rather than the 3.14 he attained, which if he was 3.14 takes Tigers to 42.51 according to my spreadsheet!

Fricke, Kurtz, Wright, Brennan (3.00?) & Etheridge leave 12.13 assuming Blodorn is 4.00, it leaves 8.13.

Points limit is 39 for 6 riders plus rising star.

Then Ace's have 7.63 for final rider if Blodorn is 4.00.

Sheffield's six come to 39.37?

Edited by Col

37 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Couldn't agree more Diamonds85 re. three or four Championship teams moving up to the Premiership. Give them certain sweeteners, safeguards, protection etc. Would give the whole league system a much more balanced look and would go some way to giving the sport in this country a big shot in the arm. 

Imagine the likes of Belle Vue (Manchester), Glasgow, Edinburgh Sheffield and Oxford (all cities) battling it out in league action on our TV screens. This would surely give the promoters something to promote and the teams involved would resonate more with the press, Eurosport etc. 

Those teams remaining in the Championship would not have to spend spend spend to keep up with the more wealthier clubs and owing to reduced costs (hopefully), this could encourage more teams to join the league in the future.

Riders need two leagues to race in, and 2nd Div clubs (and their fans) are now used to having plenty of Div One riders making up their teams.. 

Why go up to Div One, (stretching out the TV money pot), having to pay out money to "top riders", when you can run with "the next level of rider down" who are happy to take what you offer as they have two jobs? 

The sport is now pretty much in the grip of the Div 2 clubs who have the best of both worlds. Decent Div One standard riders and not having to follow the RS programme at the bottom end..

I would doubt too many Div 2 clubs would want to change the current way the sport is ran...

30 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Riders need two leagues to race in, and 2nd Div clubs (and their fans) are now used to having plenty of Div One riders making up their teams.. 

Why go up to Div One, (stretching out the TV money pot), having to pay out money to "top riders", when you can run with "the next level of rider down" who are happy to take what you offer as they have two jobs? 

The sport is now pretty much in the grip of the Div 2 clubs who have the best of both worlds. Decent Div One standard riders and not having to follow the RS programme at the bottom end..

I would doubt too many Div 2 clubs would want to change the current way the sport is ran...

Maybe a revised deal from Eurosport to ensure it's financially worth it moving up to the Premiership. Eurosport would benefit too because there would be bigger names/teams to promote and hopefully a return to these shores of GP riders etc.

A six team Premiership is a touch laughable in some respects and something needs to change sooner rather than later to maintain interest levels. As mentioned earlier, I also think a cheaper to run Championship (without the wealthier teams) would encourage new tracks to join. More tracks means more opportunities for young riders to learn their trade.

1 hour ago, Col said:

Then Ace's have 7.63 for final rider if Blodorn is 4.00.

Sheffield's six come to 39.37?

Sounds like a Kenny Bjerre average 

17 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Sounds like a Kenny Bjerre average 

Don't think so... Kenneth Bjerre 7.75 in 2019 for Belle Vue.

22 minutes ago, Col said:

Don't think so... Kenneth Bjerre 7.75 in 2019 for Belle Vue.

Well I am sure he can be fitted in somehow, Poole used to be able to fiddle it!! 

Belle Vue fans must be smarting after a Panther won the Craven meeting! 

Edited by foreverblue

1 hour ago, Tinker said:

Maybe a revised deal from Eurosport to ensure it's financially worth it moving up to the Premiership. Eurosport would benefit too because there would be bigger names/teams to promote and hopefully a return to these shores of GP riders etc.

A six team Premiership is a touch laughable in some respects and something needs to change sooner rather than later to maintain interest levels. As mentioned earlier, I also think a cheaper to run Championship (without the wealthier teams) would encourage new tracks to join. More tracks means more opportunities for young riders to learn their trade.

Just like it used to be really, and the common sense solution..

It used to be that teams who didnt fancy paying out for top riders rode in Div 2. Teams that struggled to attract enough talen for Div 2 rode in Div 3, and the top league had pretty much the same traditional teams year on year. Teams willing to pay out for the top talent..

When Poole dropped down it showed just how much the Championship could offer as let's be honest, a large proportion of the riders that used to ride for or against Poole in the top tier still ride for or against Poole in the Championship...

And, given how long the 2nd Div have had so many Div 1 Heat Leaders riding for them, I do struggle to see how things can move on, as any  changes will have to be quite radical, (and as we know, Speedway in the UK doesnt do radical).

Riders will want to keep the same money, and fans will want to watch the same standard of rider. Not to mention the Promoters who have had the chance to lead a fair few top tier riders without the financial requirements of Div 1. They wont be up for change I would think..

Personally for me it needs say an 8 to 10 team top league one you can truly promote as "Elite". Six man teams to ensure enough riders of the right levels, with the next two leagues below separated by finances, ie what you can afford, restricted heat leader strengths, and both having a clear development plan for riders to reach the next level..

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Well I am sure he can be fitted in somehow, Poole used to be able to fiddle it!! 

Not smarting at all. He won the meeting fair and square, he deserved it, and congratulations to him.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Casting two fishing rods at the same time!  My, you must be bored :wink: 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

This is my suggestion only and probably wouldn't be too popular....

If you move teams up into the Premier League which I will call in this instance the "British League" you then have to filter out riders to other clubs so for example, Sheffield would not have Cook, Musielak, Holder & Ellis in one side, you might have two if you are lucky, if you have say 8/10/12 clubs in the top league you are then really going to have to run at what Championship standards are now really to make it work, potentially you might have to find a medium between current prem pay rates and current championship pay rates.

You could then end up with an 8/10/12 team second division which I will call the "National League" which would have to again be a balance between what the championship is now and what the national league is currently, the top end riders who would be in the current NL would have to maybe form part of the main body but not heat leader status in the 2nd division, potentially some current NL bottom end heat leaders or 2nd strings would be taking the reserve berths

What the pandemic showed is that riders will get jobs if they want an income, I see riders traveling all over the world, buying houses, new bikes, new vans, etc. if it really was not paying then most riders would be on bread and butter and not having engine refreshes

the Top end riders won;t need the 2nd division

Danish riders can ride in Denmark

Swedish riders can ride in Sweden

The second division should be for commonwealth riders only who are not riding in the top flight in Sweden or Poland

So aussies etc. who come over here can ride two leagues

I'm pretty sure the last rider will be allen on a temp contract till he can sort something 

Edited by PhilTheAce

2 hours ago, PhilTheAce said:

I'm pretty sure the last rider will be allen on a tempt contract till he can sort something 

What IS going on Phil ? Tbh the situation is a bit of a shambles.

7 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Why would any belle vue fans be smarting, were not Poole fans,