British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

I expect they thought it would be unlikely to turn over the best team in the league over two legs so get a cheaper option for the cup and gives them longer to consider their options going forward. Jake is a good rider and very capable of putting a point on his current average so it could be Etheridge that is replaced later in the season,not sure if it is good for the team to have riders competing against each other though. 

That's what a team sport should be about though..

Pressure for your place...

In UK Speedway you do seem to get a job for life regardless of performance.. 

As even if you get replaced, invariably you walk into another team place somewhere else. In fact, perversely, the worse you do can mean your own personal gain in the long run...

Having pressure for your place can only help the team in my opinion as it means team members have to perform consistently well to maintain that job...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikebv said:

hat's what a team sport should be about though..

As even if you get replaced, invariably you walk into another team place somewhere else. In fact, perversely, the worse you do can mean your own personal gain in the long run...

Having pressure for your place can only help the team in my opinion as it means team members have to perform consistently well to maintain that job...

I think that this is right and possibly, over the past few seasons, there has been maybe too much security of place with us.

If there is a more appropriate rider lined up for the league matches, as has been suggested, then it's better that pressure is on both Allen and Etheridge for the remaining place. Rather than Jake Allen knowing that he only has four weeks and then he will be replaced come what may.

Maybe we are becoming more like Poole!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikebv said:

That's what a team sport should be about though..

Yes everyone should have to perform to keep their place, Poole were often criticized for team changes when a rider was under performing but  if you don't perform you should get the sack, it is just that if you have two riders competing against each other in the same team they won't help each other and team spirit could suffer. 

3 hours ago, PhilTheAce said:

Jake allen confirmed on a 4 week temp contract while we look for a heat leader 

My guess is he's found that 3rd heat leader but due to the lateness of the deal he's paying over the odds for him so they are going to use the cheaper allen for the cup matches and then bring in the née riders for the league campaign. 

And he will replace whoever was the worst between jye and allen

Is Jye on a short-term (4 week) contract too then?

Sounds like they're waiting for NKI's time at KL to come to an end.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Col said:

Sounds like they're waiting for NKI's time at KL to come to an end.

PuK has already said he cant race over here once his teams on the continent get going due to the polish rules, otherwise I would assume lynn would have kept hold of him( gutted they cant )

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

No,  but does that matter

37 minutes ago, castrolargh said:

PuK has already said he cant race over here once his teams on the continent get going due to the polish rules, otherwise I would assume lynn would have kept hold of him( gutted they cant )

You never know. One suspects that if Iversen starts well for Lynn, it will be hard for both parties to replace him. Obviously we will see though. 

regarding Belle Vues mess of team building , even with Allen they still look a half decent side which could be worrying for other sides considering they have room to sign another top rider after a few weeks .

Lemon's had five months to sign 7 riders and is the only team manager out of 25 clubs across the three leagues who has failed to complete a team.

It seems he continually gets rewarded for failure.

• Like 2

he gambled on being able to sign Bewley - if he had missed out on him what would you be saying then?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

Lemon's had five months to sign 7 riders and is the only team manager out of 25 clubs across the three leagues who has failed to complete a team.

It seems he continually gets rewarded for failure.

Errrm wrong.

4 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Errrm wrong.

How am i wrong? Jake Allen is technically just an emergency signing. 

Or were you talking about Lemon's constant failure?

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

All riders are short term if they underperform