British Speedway Forum

18 hours ago, AndyPresley said:

Mark was a good rider, not that it has anything to do with someones's ability to run a speedway club

There is no doubt Mark Lemon was a good consistent rider never a top rider but a good team rider, his team management on the other hand has been poor, to not win at least one title with Belle Vue, considering the teams he has had, is not good enough in my opinion. 

Ive always liked Mark Lemon , he was the rider who knocked Richard Hall off in ht 14 allowing the Panthers to get a 5-1 in the rerun against Reading in 2006 and then in 2021 he put Etheridge in ht 6 as R/R with Brennan against Harris & Palm Toft that turned the play off final firmly in Panthers favour , so hes had a hand in helping the Panthers to win the league title twice now , :t:

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Sir Sidney said:

https://www.better.org.uk/leisure-centre/manchester/belle-vue-sports-village/facilities

It appears that if you want to book the sports pitches , or the hospitality areas , you have to book via Better Leisure.

That would tend to suggest that Belle Vue speedway does not control the stadium other than on its own event days

No, not necessarily. 

56 minutes ago, mikebv said:

The rent/(mortgage) was quoted as £5k a week I think at the outset..

The intention being to use the facility as a money earner seven days a week..

If memory serves, they were paying over £3k a match at the old place so from a business perspective it did make sense..

Maybe now the Aces just rent the facilty like everyone else does on matchdays only? 

Belle Vue could & likely are still the owners. 

Many businesses have 3rd party operations. Belle Vue may have an agreement where 'Better Leisure' just take a cut from bookings etc. This then allows for Belle Vue to not required full time staff every day at the stadium. 

23 hours ago, foreverblue said:

That is roughly 3.1% more than my wages have gone up in the past 5 years!!

Paid for by 50 years of working and paying national insurance, something you will have done when you reach retirement age.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

No, not necessarily. 

Many businesses have 3rd party operations. Belle Vue may have an agreement where 'Better Leisure' just take a cut from bookings etc. This then allows for Belle Vue to not required full time staff every day at the stadium. 

The current “owners” of Belle Vue Speedway have never owned the stadium and neither did the previous owners. It was built and paid for by Manchester City Council and is built on their land.

Looking at the detail behind Greenwich Leisure Limited, it looks like they have huge experience of running council owned sports and leisure facilities. It also looks like BV’s only involvement at the NSS is as day (evening) use tenants. They don’t seem to generate any income from the bars and catering facilities, including the Peter Craven suite. A far cry from what the previous owners envisaged. 

And, if they are just turnkey tenants, as the old BV were at the previous stadium, why are there people on permanent payroll?

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

No, not necessarily. 

Better leisure are the council’s appointed operator. BV only tenant’s on meeting nights.  

42 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

The current “owners” of Belle Vue Speedway have never owned the stadium and neither did the previous owners. It was built and paid for by Manchester City Council and is built on their land.

Looking at the detail behind Greenwich Leisure Limited, it looks like they have huge experience of running council owned sports and leisure facilities. It also looks like BV’s only involvement at the NSS is as day (evening) use tenants. They don’t seem to generate any income from the bars and catering facilities, including the Peter Craven suite. A far cry from what the previous owners envisaged. 

And, if they are just turnkey tenants, as the old BV were at the previous stadium, why are there people on permanent payroll?

So, why do Belle Vue Speedway has such extortionate debts to the Council?? 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

So, why do Belle Vue Speedway has such extortionate debts to the Council?? 

Where are you seeing that?

On 2/16/2022 at 10:43 AM, scoobydoo said:

Ive always liked Mark Lemon , he was the rider who knocked Richard Hall off in ht 14 allowing the Panthers to get a 5-1 in the rerun against Reading in 2006 and then in 2021 he put Etheridge in ht 6 as R/R with Brennan against Harris & Palm Toft that turned the play off final firmly in Panthers favour , so hes had a hand in helping the Panthers to win the league title twice now , :t:

Failure always seems to be rewarded in the modern world as he's now being given the position of CEO as well as Director of Speedway and Team Manager. In reality he should be offered the position of Track Raker because even he couldn't screw that up.

[edit] He probably could...

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2022 at 12:12 PM, hyderd said:

Paid for by 50 years of working and paying national insurance, something you will have done when you reach retirement age.

There is no national insurance pot. State pensions are paid by today's workers.

Also, national insurance contributions don't fund a generous state pension. You'd have to pay a lot more if you wanted an equivalent annuity on the open market.

50 minutes ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

There is no national insurance pot. State pensions are paid by today's workers.

Also, national insurance contributions don't fund a generous state pension. You'd have to pay a lot more if you wanted an equivalent annuity on the open market.

I know that, and I paid for yesterdays pensioners, and when you retire the folk still working will pay for yours. either way we ALL pay towards pensions.

• Like 3

FFS. Stay on topic  I'll die at my desk!

7 hours ago, Col said:

FFS. Stay on topic  I'll die at my desk!

Same as us waiting to hear who our final riders will be.:D

• Haha 1

first match 4 weeks on Monday…. Last time I looked tickets still not on sale…2 riders still to name…

Very disappointing… pace needs picking up

42 minutes ago, KIRKYLANE said:

first match 4 weeks on Monday…. Last time I looked tickets still not on sale…2 riders still to name…

Very disappointing… pace needs picking up

Piss poor public relations