British Speedway Forum
OdsalBoy

Sheffield Tigers 2022

3 hours ago, Heathcote said:

Smacks of making a change just for the sake of it in my opinion.

Whilst Stefan hasn't really shown the form of last season he also hasn't been that bad either, yes possibly being outscored by Connor, but Connor does get the slightly easier rides due to being a "rising star" although in terms of years in the sport and experience not a deal between them, connor just lucky in terms of getting he number 7 spot.

Its further up the order that Sheffields management need to be looking, whilst i dont think anyone is in danger of losing their terms place, the complete lack of consistency certainly needs addressing

There is i big difference between the way Mountain and Nielson are riding though, Mountain has been on the pace in most of his rides this season and has deserved a lot more points than he has scored, 

Nielson, apart from Heat 2 last night wasn't really on the pace and looked down on power, and has all season.

Nielson deserved his chance after last season but it hasn't worked out, we will have to see if Allen does

• Like 1

Not sure I am entirely convinced by the decision - if you are going to replace then replace with someone who you are certain is better - I am not sure this is, unless of course Nielsen volunteered to go?

In the two home meetings I have attended he has scored 3+1 and 3 from his 7 rides

against BV the home reserves were outscored by 8 pts to 6 but that inclued Tom Brennan taking 7 rides to cover R/R

Last night they outscored their Wolves counterparts 7 to 6 - I'd be looking higher up in the 1-5 for reasons why the win wasn't by more last night!

58 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Indeed looking at starting aves Vs 2022 aves, there's a few dropping more off their ave than Nielsen!

Tobiasz Musielak 6.21 to 8.50 (+2.29)

Connor Mountain 3.14 to 4.38 (+1.24)

Kyle Howarth 6.04 to 6.80 (+0.76)

Stefan Neilsen 3.00 to 2.89 (-0.11)

Adam Ellis 7.92 to 7.65 (-0.27)

Jack Holder 8.87 to 7.33 (-1.54)

Craig Cook 6.81 to 5.15 (-1.66)

One has to wonder if JH is burning himself out with endless travel and foreign commitments. He certainly doesn't look like the same rider who started the season.

I dont think Sheffield fans have anything to worry about, you will easily make the play offs and with Jake replacing Stefan you look even stronger than before and on paper had the superior team.

Come play off time your top riders will turn it on for the occasion and you'll win silverware 

On Thursday Nielsen won heat 2, beating Kemp & Flint.

He then had two last places, losing to Becker / Douglas & Masters / Worrall.

Never raced a reserve again after heat 2. How can anyone expect him to score more than the 3 points he did?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Never raced a reserve again after heat 2. How can anyone expect him to score more than the 3 points he did?

Bates the promoter what a  silly quote he said  we expected  more from Stefan he had done ok.Allen is a very good rider but he has a bit to prove in my book.

Edited by Sidney the robin

37 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I think it's more to do with what other clubs have

Peterborough altho all riders are off form will always have a decent rider at 6 such as Basso  Nicholls etc.

Kings Lynn have Worrall or TJ or Kerr

Ipswich have Barker or Starke 

Belle Vue have the best no.7 

Wolves are the only other side that maybe don't have that capability of a high scoring reserve

Jake is a better rider who will be able to match most of the other riders at 6 and could push for a main team berth which would leave someone like Howarth at 6 which is strong 

Good management from the club 

• Like 1

Took some time out to think about the change.

Looking at the averages for each of the teams reserve pairing for this season.

The strongest pairing is Kings Lynn by a country mile Worrall and Thomas, but with Thomas getting injured I would imagine that the they will now have to Mulford instead and that I would imagine would make them weaker.

The weakest pairing  by quite a bit is Wolves Flint and Kemp, and the rest is very much the same based on their averages for rides this season.

So do I think that the dropping of Stefan Nielsen is harsh, yes the team have won more meeting than they have lost, and it is difficult to understand why you would want to make changes.

But I can understand the change, it should strengthen the team.

Okay Jake Allen did not make a big impression at Belle Vue, but rode so few meetings before Belle Vue dropped him, so you have to look at his and Stefan's championship averages for this seasons rides and Jake's average is significantly higher than Stefan's, so in theory it should make us stronger. 

Harsh on Neilsen, strongest team have in theory improved.

7 minutes ago, Col said:

Harsh on Neilsen, strongest team have in theory improved.

Very harsh when you look at the reserve riders averages for this season's rides.

With the injury to Jack Thomas at Kings Lynn on this seasons averages there is no much between each teams reserve pairings.

2 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

I think it's more to do with what other clubs have

Peterborough altho all riders are off form will always have a decent rider at 6 such as Basso  Nicholls etc.

Kings Lynn have Worrall or TJ or Kerr

Ipswich have Barker or Starke 

Belle Vue have the best no.7 

Wolves are the only other side that maybe don't have that capability of a high scoring reserve

Jake is a better rider who will be able to match most of the other riders at 6 and could push for a main team berth which would leave someone like Howarth at 6 which is strong 

Good management from the club 

Spot on ,Allen bargin av,sometimes av go backward to go forward,can’t wait when we face belle vue,as he will shut up up a few critics I bet

21 hours ago, spin king said:

Very harsh when you look at the reserve riders averages for this season's rides.

With the injury to Jack Thomas at Kings Lynn on this seasons averages there is no much between each teams reserve pairings.

I would think the club knew at the start of the season that they would get rid of Nielsen once they had completed 5 PL matches.I don't know how it worked but the club obviously knew his average was going to jump sharply from his 3pt average to a 5+ average.It meant that they could build their top 5 as strong as they did while using his 3pt ave.Now he has to pave the way for Allen.Not saying the club had Allen in their sights but they knew they would have points to play with.Forward thinking by the club,just a shame Nielsen didn't see it coming.

Edit:Just seen Mountain has withdrawn from the meeting at Leicester tonight,hope it's just a precaution and he is back for his next meeting.

Edited by tellboy

On 6/10/2022 at 4:22 PM, szkocjasid said:

Indeed looking at starting aves Vs 2022 aves, there's a few dropping more off their ave than Nielsen!

Tobiasz Musielak 6.21 to 8.50 (+2.29)

Connor Mountain 3.14 to 4.38 (+1.24)

Kyle Howarth 6.04 to 6.80 (+0.76)

Stefan Neilsen 3.00 to 2.89 (-0.11)

Adam Ellis 7.92 to 7.65 (-0.27)

Jack Holder 8.87 to 7.33 (-1.54)

Craig Cook 6.81 to 5.15 (-1.66)

You can't read too much into the Green Sheets.  The starting set were based on last 20 matches (or minimum 4 home, 4 away).  For June, they are based on the last 18 matches (or minimum requirement).  As an extreme, two very good or bad scores could have been dropped from the overall figures - and BSPA confirmed it's last 18 matches, i.e. not necessarily 9 home and 9 away.  For July it's down to 16, August 14, September 12, and the Final averages will be based on the last 10 matches.  Some figures could well change dramatically over the next 3-4months.

Edited by Roger Jacobs
Correction of typos.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tellboy said:

I would think the club knew at the start of the season that they would get rid of Nielsen once they had completed 5 PL matches.I don't know how it worked but the club obviously knew his average was going to jump sharply from his 3pt average to a 5+ average.It meant that they could build their top 5 as strong as they did while using his 3pt ave.Now he has to pave the way for Allen.Not saying the club had Allen in their sights but they knew they would have points to play with.Forward thinking by the club,just a shame Nielsen didn't see it coming.

Edit:Just seen Mountain has withdrawn from the meeting at Leicester tonight,hope it's just a precaution and he is back for his next meeting.

See plenty of comments moaning about lack of rider commitment to teams.  If what you suggest is true & the kind of treatment that riders get from clubs couldn't blame any that look after their own interests before club and work the system too.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Fina said:

See plenty of comments moaning about lack of rider commitment to teams.  If what you suggest is true & the kind of treatment that riders get from clubs couldn't blame any that look after their own interests before club and work the system too.

Of course it is  

These lads spend tens of thousands on kit...

Hence the facility to ride for everyone and anyone exists..

They have to make money..