British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Glasgow v Poole/Poole v Glasgow. Playoff Final 2/4th Nov 2021.

41 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Well me and Rob have decided to come up for this one. Got oxygen tanks in the van as the air is a bit more rarified up there, and bringing an air rifle incase we get attacked by an angry herd of haggises. Tomorrow I am going to attempt to learn some of the lingo. Gonnae no' dae that really. We have to drive straight back as hotels are up to £1000 a night! Not Mad wae it, see how far we can get back before finding a travel lodge.

If you see us in our Poole jackets, cone and say hello. We don’t bite! 

Plural is haggi.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Well me and Rob have decided to come up for this one. Got oxygen tanks in the van as the air is a bit more rarified up there, and bringing an air rifle incase we get attacked by an angry herd of haggises. Tomorrow I am going to attempt to learn some of the lingo. Gonnae no' dae that really. We have to drive straight back as hotels are up to £1000 a night! Not Mad wae it, see how far we can get back before finding a travel lodge.

Sigh 

• Haha 1

Fair play to Steve and Rob considering there is a stream! Hope the Poole team keep to close-ish for you. 

The Met Office are giving out 'snow warnings' for beginning of November. So could get snowed off yet! Lol.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

The Met Office are giving out 'snow warnings' for beginning of November. So could get snowed off yet! Lol.

Tiz the season to be jolly......:rofl:

9 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

That’s enough, think I will stay off this thread.

If you want I can arrange to get the Possil young team to pop down to give you a welcome.

You can show them round your camper van, you will probably have to get the bus home though.

Edited by Gazc
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Fingers crossed, as Monday would be difficult for me. Weekends are fine though!

The final at Glasgow in 2019 was on a Tuesday night! A night generally recognised in the entertainment industry as being a real crowd puller, especially for travelling support :lol:

14 hours ago, Tigeratheart said:

Would not be happy if Poole postpone Fridays meeting because the want second leg !!!!   Not fair on away fans who have paid hotels arranged travel and got time off work .

I think you'll find that the fans are at the very bottom of the list of concerns of speedway promotions... if they even make the list at all.

Why are teams running on "off" race nights in October? Poole's Wednesday night had supposed to be sacrosanct, so much so they've moved leagues to accommodate it... yet it's all gone out of the window for their biggest match of the season, smh

13 hours ago, daveallan81 said:

Cheers. Just been having a look at November meetings, thought I had missed one.

Just to expand on that, I make it only 2 meetings have been run in November since 1989 (not including training track/novelty meetings) so it's hardly a regular occurrence.

Didn't somebody share the KoC in the 80's? Cov, Oxford or CH?

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

The final at Glasgow in 2019 was on a Tuesday night! A night generally recognised in the entertainment industry as being a real crowd puller, especially for travelling support :lol:

I think you'll find that the fans are at the very bottom of the list of concerns of speedway promotions... if they even make the list at all.

Why are teams running on "off" race nights in October? Poole's Wednesday night had supposed to be sacrosanct, so much so they've moved leagues to accommodate it... yet it's all gone out of the window for their biggest match of the season, smh

the reason we are not running next wednesday is because afc bournemouth are home on the same evening and a lot of the stewards work at the vitality as well .plus i am sure it would hit our gate at poole 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ray c said:

the reason we are not running next wednesday is because afc bournemouth are home on the same evening and a lot of the stewards work at the vitality as well .plus i am sure it would hit our gate at poole 

Where's the man in charge of this clusterf@#k of a season gone to? Sat in a caravan somewhere in Lincolnshire devising a 5 year plan to make sure it never happens again

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Yes but haggises sounds better! 

Love haggis. Have it regularly. Not very healthy though.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, iainb said:

Fans are important, hence the reason the meeting was moved to next week. First of all, the biggest 2 meetings of the season just 48 hours apart is ludicrous and would hit attendances as fans would have to fork out twice in a week. And secondly, Poole finished top. Why take the first leg of the final, and if we win it, celebrate in front of 8 supporters in Glasgow when the club can celebrate, should we be successful, in front of thousands? 

The reason for the allowance to ride in November is simply because the season started late because of covid, and also because a couple of clubs, (not Poole who haven’t had a single rainoff this season) decided to postpone important meetings because of THE THREAT of rain. This delayed meetings and put playoff clubs back a week or two.

Poole have every right to demand the second leg as they finished top. Otherwise what is the point of the league part of the season if the team finishing top of the pile has no reward?

As for not racing next Wednesday, as has already been pointed out, AFC Bournemouth are at home. Many fans support both clubs and it would affect the size of the crowd by a few hundred.  Also, with Glasgow being 478 miles from Poole, to expect riders to leave Glasgow at 10pm, get home, sleep, clean bikes, get to Poole and race in the most important meeting of the season is pushing it. Give them a days grace and everyone will be raring to go.

Fingers crossed for better weather next week and an exciting end to the season. Let the best team win.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The reason for the allowance to ride in November is simply because the season started late because of covid, and also because a couple of clubs, (not Poole who haven’t had a single rainoff this season) decided to postpone important meetings because of THE THREAT of rain. This delayed meetings and put playoff clubs back a week or two.

That's just simply wrong about the late start of the season... as you have then gone on to point out in your next sentence. And it wasn't a couple of clubs, it has become widespread throughout the sport and each time a match is cancelled because of THE THREAT of rain it has a knock on effect meaning that the 2 most important matches of the season are now being run in November! It all should have been done and dusted by the end of September, you know it, I know it, everybody except the people running the sport knows it.

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

As far as I can remember all play offs finals  have been run in October so with the weather in this country, rain offs and the season running in to November should be expected now and again. I think with all the issues with covid and brexit we should be happy that Speedway is happening at all and I think clubs have done a great job in general. Going forward it is fair to say more could be done to get the season finished earlier but for now happy that we are seeing two teams going all out in hopefully dry weather to win the playoffs even if it is in November and there will be fireworks one way or another. 

Edited by foreverblue
  • Like 3