British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Glasgow v Poole/Poole v Glasgow. Playoff Final 2/4th Nov 2021.

BASSO ON THE GASSO

Pirates version of Long Eaton's Dave Tyler :party:

11 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Sad comment,at least the Tigers pay their riders( whatever the cost) a lot of Teams (including your own )never paid what they negotiated with their riders.Good set up at Glasgow and a lot of jealousy from some quarters.

Agree a good set up at Glasgow bankrolled by wealthy owners, but from what I've heard the season was run at a 100k or more  loss !! How does this help the big picture of speedway ? As other tracks with no rich backers try to keep up with the big spenders, not only Glasgow but Poole etc 

The old saying how to make a small fortune from speedway, start with a large fortune then run a speedway team 

5 minutes ago, Neila said:

Agree a good set up at Glasgow bankrolled by wealthy owners, but from what I've heard the season was run at a 100k or more  loss !! How does this help the big picture of speedway ? As other tracks with no rich backers try to keep up with the big spenders, not only Glasgow but Poole etc 

The old saying how to make a small fortune from speedway, start with a large fortune then run a speedway team 

Poole are not run at a loss. The club balance the books and made a profit this season. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Neila said:

Well Glasgow are still running , Worky are not:unsure:

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Neila said:

Must be true if you have heard it then.

Can you put up the accounts for these losses ? I'm going to hazard a guess and say you cant and just posting on hearsay. 

11 minutes ago, Neila said:

“You heard “ that’s the usual quote ,what you mean is you don’t know!!People need to stop worrying about other Promotions.IMO it makes no difference to the big picture.Crowds Ihave seen at Ashfield on my visits suggest they are doing things right.At least if they pack it in,you can be the first to say “I told you so”.One thing for sure though they will have paid their riders if it ever happens, unlike a lot of others.

15 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Poole are not run at a loss. The club balance the books and made a profit this season. 

This poster has nothing ever positive to say about Glasgow and has no idea what the clubs position is.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Neila said:

All sports have financial imbalance, however many then get a set amount from TV to at least remain competitive against their more affluent opponents..

Speedway doesnt have this and then compounds the issue by using averages which make certain riders with the "right average" become "must have", (even at a very low points per meeting level)..

Thus increasing salaries, which invariably means those who can afford higher offers will be chosen by the rider..

Just another of those things that sadly dont help the sport, collectively as one, move forward..

1 hour ago, Neila said:

As a Monarchs fan who used to go to Glasgow in the Blantyre days the Tigers have come a long way. Am I jealous ? No. A bit envious of the facilities and get a bit annoyed when the ‘new’ Tigers fans come visiting and slag off Armadale. Most clubs are run by people for love of sport and in rented facilities so can’t be like Ashfield. On the other hand Monarchs presentation from Liam and John is one of the best. We tracked 3 teams this year; Monarchs, Devils and West Lothian Wildcats. David is doing a great job with the academy kids too. We streamed our matches as well. Astounded Poole didn’t for the final.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Gazc said:

Must be true if you have heard it then.

Can you put up the accounts for these losses ? I'm going to hazard a guess and say you cant and just posting on hearsay. 

Gazc think he is referring to a quote from Peter from the documentary.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

As a Monarchs fan who used to go to Glasgow in the Blantyre days the Tigers have come a long way. Am I jealous ? No. A bit envious of the facilities and get a bit annoyed when the ‘new’ Tigers fans come visiting and slag off Armadale. Most clubs are run by people for love of sport and in rented facilities so can’t be like Ashfield. On the other hand Monarchs presentation from Liam and John is one of the best. We tracked 3 teams this year; Monarchs, Devils and West Lothian Wildcats. David is doing a great job with the academy kids too. We streamed our matches as well. Astounded Poole didn’t for the final.

They did explain why they couldn't stream the final. But good that they are preparing to do some next season. 

• Like 1

The echo article about Basso being in trouble with his girlfriend made me laugh. Well at least he's made the holiday eventually! 

Given the Facenna family's obvious ambition to win after all that they've invested, and failing yet again to achieve their first league trophy for a decade, could a replacement for Cami Brown be their most significant signing for 2022?

Edited by PowerfulPierre
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, PowerfulPierre said:

Given the Facenna family's obvious ambition to win after all that they've invested, and failing yet again to achieve their first league trophy for a decade, could a replacement for Cami Brown be their most significant signing for 2022?

Is it not every teams “obvious ambition to win”? The only promoter I can recall whose ambition was to come no better than second every year was the late Ian Thomas. His logic was that, once you’ve won, your fans expect you to win every year. And, if you don’t, then they disappear. If you are towards the top of the league but don’t win, you still leave something for your supporters to strive for.