British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Glasgow v Poole/Poole v Glasgow. Playoff Final 2/4th Nov 2021.

15 minutes ago, Cookiefan said:

No they don't unless it is a hospitality thing, I sit in the "posh" seats under the ref box, yes I paid extra for the privilege on top of my season ticket, that is my choice as I struggle to get good viewing unless I am at the front

My mistake - I was given duff info.

24 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

My mistake - I was given duff info.

No worries

1 hour ago, topsoil said:

Somebody picks holes in your idea and this is how you respond :rofl: ever thought of a career in P R?

Mine was the edited version not war & peace! :D

6 hours ago, PirateShip said:

Wots ur suggestion then clever d*ck? It's so easy for someone to pull someone else's suggestion apart like a Mr Einstein when they haven't got a constructive plan of their own to suggest.

And anyway, my suggestion is far better than some of the hair brained ideas that actually get put into place by the powers that be.

Crikey, did an apple hit u on the bonce! Can we av Einstein's law of relatively please, wot goes up must come down.....oh of course that doesn't happen in British Speedway!:rofl:

An interesting reaction.

Your original post said it was a simple solution. All I did was attempt to work out whether it could be feasible. I'm more than happy for you, and everyone else for that matter, to disagree with what I posted and point out where I'm going wrong. Your idea may well be feasible. Who knows?

In no way was I trying to rubbish your plan. I was simply trying to work through things logically.

Anyway, supper time for moi. Where did I put that apple...?

On 11/8/2021 at 12:23 PM, lisa-colette said:

Actually Poole's prices have gone down for me in a way as they made U11s free when it used to be U5s, so better off by £6 each meeting this season! 

I never realised you were under 11 Lisa .:blink:

On 11/8/2021 at 1:56 PM, King Jamie said:

Does that work financially?

Example - at the moment there are 7 riders per team - 3 heat leaders, 2 second strings and 2 reserves. In 5 rider teams, let's say there will be 2 heat leaders, 2 second strings and 1 reserve. You may be thinking differently, but I'll go with that for now.

Now, I know absolutely nothing about pay rates in speedway but let's just keep it relatively simple and say:

Heat leaders - £100 per point

Second strings - £70 per point

Reserves - £45 per point

Currently, in general, the top 3 cover 14 rides between them (3 x 4 programmed, plus 2 nominated), the middle order 8 rides and bottom end likewise = a total of 30 (15 heats).

Therefore, the base cost 'per point' would be:

Heat leaders - £100 x 14 rides = £1,400

Second strings - £70 x 8 rides = £560

Reserves - £45 x 8 rides = £360

Total = £2,320

In your suggestion of 5 man teams, as I said above, I'm guessing we would lose 1 'heat leader' and 1 'reserve'? For consistency purposes, I'm also giving the nominated rides to the top 2.

Now, using your example, the updated base cost 'per point' would be:

Heat leaders - £100 x 14 rides = £1,400

Second strings - £70 x 12 rides = £840

Reserves - £45 x 4 rides = £180

Total = £2,420

That looks like it would end up more expensive.

I have made the assumption that any current second string becoming a heat leader will want heat leader status and paid accordingly. Likewise any current reserve who becomes a second string.

Other points to consider:

Is riding for one team enough to earn a living? Take a current number 1 - he can have 5 races in the Championship and at least 4 per meeting in the Premiership. He can also take a Tactical Substitute ride so, say, on average 10 rides between his two teams. Cutting that down to 7 rides for 1 team - what does it do? It takes a potential £900 off his top line (£100 per point x 3 rides). In fact, it may even be higher than that, depending on which league's pay rates are being taken away. What I mean by that is, using the example of Sam Masters. My pay rates used above are for the Championship. As I said, I could be well off the mark but they're only for example purposes. I would also assume Sam is paid more by Wolves than he is by Edinburgh. Therefore, is it up to the Monarchs to compensate him and give him a pay rise because he's missing out on 3 rides per week?

Number of teams - currently:

Premiership - 6 teams (20 meetings)

Championship - 11 teams (20 meetings)

National League - 6 teams (10 meetings)

Of the NL, only Mildenhall are a standalone team. Therefore, let's add them to the pile and we'll have one league of 18 teams (6 Prem, 11 Champ and 1 NL). Race each other home and away = 34 meetings, which is 6 less than 'Sam Masters' was eligible to compete in in 2021.

Promotions will save on travel costs, due to less riders in the team and less fixtures taking place both home and away. Will this e enough to offset the increased pay per point?

Riders may incur less costs for repair and maintenance of bikes, etc. Will this e enough to offset their potential loss of earnings?

On the last two points, I'm thinking 'no' would be the answer but am happy to be proven wrong.

Anything else I've missed, which could tip me in favour of the idea?

IMO all riders should be on the same money per point, including bonus points and none on a guarantee.

• Like 1

My ding a ling My ding a ling I'm still shaking My ding a ling! 

:party:

Oh wot a night, thanks for posting the clip :party:

@daz9100

5 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

My ding a ling My ding a ling I'm still shaking My ding a ling! 

:party:

Oh wot a night, thanks for posting the clip :party:

@daz9100

Ummm.......

Way TMI pirateship lol !!!

Edited by lisa-colette
  • Haha 1