British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Glasgow v Poole/Poole v Glasgow. Playoff Final 2/4th Nov 2021.

3 hours ago, Gazc said:

That’s enough, think I will stay off this thread.

If you want I can arrange to get the Possil young team to pop down to give you a welcome.

You can show them round your camper van, you will probably have to get the bus home though.

And they wonder why we find Poole fans irritating……

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gazc said:

That’s enough, think I will stay off this thread.

If you want I can arrange to get the Possil young team to pop down to give you a welcome.

You can show them round your camper van, you will probably have to get the bus home though.

This is what happened to the last camper van that the Possil boys came across :D

24-1972-Ford-Econoline-Down-On-the-Junky

• Haha 2

Yes, the latter part of October has been exceptionally wet.

However, there is too much hysteria over the clogged-up Championship play-off schedule.

In any normal season, Championship clubs would all have been running matches from around the fourth week in March.

Because of Covid, the first Championship matches were not run (at Glasgow and Scunthorpe) until May 21st.

This means these clubs lost around eight dates on which league matches could have been presented -- two-thirds of their home schedule!

Worse, Plymouth, Kent, Birmingham, Poole and Newcastle did not stage a home league match until June -- losing another two or three race nights.

All of this was down to Covid.    Not the BSPL, not clubs being guilty of calling off matches too soon (although this may have happened) and not because of any poor scheduling.

As most understand, the need for a play-off schedule remains a necessary part of speedway promotion, with profitable crowds the norm (look at the Premiership finals) and any efforts to return to the old, sadly-sometimes-boring "first past the post" system wouldn't be a good idea in a time the sport needs every big attendance it can attract.

The Covid pandemic has been the worst, most-disruptive and world-changing influence of our lifetime.    To blame any other factor for this unseemly struggle to run off the last few meetings, in this truly exceptional year, is a senseless knee-jerk reaction.   

IMO

Edited by crescent girl
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, JanAndersen said:

Generalising again I see. And we definitely don't wonder when you bang on about it day and night! Lol. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

However, there is too much hysteria over the clogged-up Championship play-off schedule.

In any normal season, Championship clubs would all have been running matches from around the fourth week in March.

Because of Covid, the first Championship matches were not run (at Glasgow and Scunthorpe) until May 21st.

This means these clubs lost around eight dates on which league matches could have been presented -- two-thirds of their home schedule!

Worse, Plymouth, Kent, Birmingham, Poole and Newcastle did not stage a home league match until June -- losing another two or three race nights.

All of this was down to Covid.    Not the BSPL, not clubs being guilty of calling off matches too soon (although this may have happened) and not because of any poor scheduling.

As most understand, the need for a play-off schedule remains a necessary part of speedway promotion, with profitable crowds the norm (look at the Premiership finals) and any efforts to return to the old, sadly-sometimes-boring "first past the post" system wouldn't be a good idea in a time the sport needs every big attendance it can attract.

The Covid pandemic has been the worst, most-disruptive and world-changing influence of our lifetime.    To blame any other factor for this unseemly struggle to run off the last few meetings isn't, in this truly exceptional year, is a senseless knee-jerk reaction.   

IMO

Which makes it all the more mind boggling as to why so many clubs were so eager to cancel matches when it didn't rain!

And what do you put the fixture chaos at the end of the 2019 season down to? Or any other season where clubs are running on off nights on sodden wet tracks?

49 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

The Covid pandemic has been the worst, most-disruptive and world-changing influence of our lifetime.    To blame any other factor for this unseemly struggle to run off the last few meetings isn't, in this truly exceptional year, is a senseless knee-jerk reaction.   

IMO

i find that an excellent comments on how this season has panned out 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iainb said:

That's just simply wrong about the late start of the season... as you have then gone on to point out in your next sentence. And it wasn't a couple of clubs, it has become widespread throughout the sport and each time a match is cancelled because of THE THREAT of rain it has a knock on effect meaning that the 2 most important matches of the season are now being run in November! It all should have been done and dusted by the end of September, you know it, I know it, everybody except the people running the sport knows it.

I had no idea Leicester fans were still so bitter?! (Are you Stewart Dickson in disguise?):rofl::rofl::rofl::party:

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I had no idea Leicester fans were still so bitter?! (Are you Stewart Dickson in disguise?):rofl::rofl::rofl::party:

Dragging me up to Glasgow on a Tuesday night :rofl:

2 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

We don’t find Poole fans irritating in the slightest it’s only Edinburgh fans that find Poole fans irritating that we find irritating.

That should narrow it down for you.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, speedwaysliders said:

Just out of interest whats the weather like in Glasgow at the moment?

Wetter than an otters pocket

• Like 1

Tiz the season to be jolly.......if you're a Pirate! :D

And that Basso on the Gasso is sh*t hot!  

13 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Wetter than an otters pocket

Otters pocket, luxury, here in Cumbria it’s wetter than a very wet thing.

4 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Otters pocket, luxury, here in Cumbria it’s wetter than a very wet thing.

Pretty similar think it's same band of rain..yellow weather warnings n all that. Any speedway tonight would've required, goggles, flippers, outboard motors and propellors :rofl:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Love haggis. Have it regularly. Not very healthy though.

Haggis......I've had Shaggi , u can choose from  small, medium, large or all out extra large which can knock u out! 

I don't have it regular enuff these days too much time polishing the Trophy! :rofl: