British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Glasgow v Poole/Poole v Glasgow. Playoff Final 2/4th Nov 2021.

29 minutes ago, speedwaysliders said:

Just out of interest whats the weather like in Glasgow at the moment?

Wet very wet maybe even wetter than that.

Pity there’s not more people named Noah in Glasgow they would get around quicker.

Edited by Gazc

2 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Yes, the latter part of October has been exceptionally wet.

However, there is too much hysteria over the clogged-up Championship play-off schedule.

In any normal season, Championship clubs would all have been running matches from around the fourth week in March.

Because of Covid, the first Championship matches were not run (at Glasgow and Scunthorpe) until May 21st.

This means these clubs lost around eight dates on which league matches could have been presented -- two-thirds of their home schedule!

Worse, Plymouth, Kent, Birmingham, Poole and Newcastle did not stage a home league match until June -- losing another two or three race nights.

All of this was down to Covid.    Not the BSPL, not clubs being guilty of calling off matches too soon (although this may have happened) and not because of any poor scheduling.

As most understand, the need for a play-off schedule remains a necessary part of speedway promotion, with profitable crowds the norm (look at the Premiership finals) and any efforts to return to the old, sadly-sometimes-boring "first past the post" system wouldn't be a good idea in a time the sport needs every big attendance it can attract.

The Covid pandemic has been the worst, most-disruptive and world-changing influence of our lifetime.    To blame any other factor for this unseemly struggle to run off the last few meetings isn't, in this truly exceptional year, is a senseless knee-jerk reaction.   

IMO

Well said.

I thought this year was extremely encouraging. Like many others, I was worried by the effect that Covid could have on British speedway. But I've since some really encouraging crowds around this season - IMO the general trend has been up rather than down.

And finishing the season in such an exceptional year on November 4th (looking at the forecast, both legs should be OK next week) is hardly the end of the world. 

I also find it strange that some are criticising the growing practice of calling off meetings earlier rather than later. It used to be extremely bad business to call off a meeting as the last possible minute, when everyone knew that the decision could have been made earlier in the day.  While less susceptible to the weather, football has always chosen to postpone earlier rather than later when faced with forecasts of extreme weather.  I don't think there's more postponements in speedway now, they're just done earlier and therefore save fans, riders and promotions wasted money. It's simply better business practice. Again, some just take it as another reason to moan, but the genuine supporters who go to meetings appreciate not having their time and money wasted in the way it once was.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lucifer sam said:

I don't think there's more postponements in speedway now, they're just done earlier and therefore save fans, riders and promotions wasted money.

Tell that to the Edinburgh fans who were sat in a Leicester hotel room looking at a perfect evening for speedway earlier this summer

• Like 2

5 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Yes, the latter part of October has been exceptionally wet.

However, there is too much hysteria over the clogged-up Championship play-off schedule.

In any normal season, Championship clubs would all have been running matches from around the fourth week in March.

Because of Covid, the first Championship matches were not run (at Glasgow and Scunthorpe) until May 21st.

This means these clubs lost around eight dates on which league matches could have been presented -- two-thirds of their home schedule!

Worse, Plymouth, Kent, Birmingham, Poole and Newcastle did not stage a home league match until June -- losing another two or three race nights.

All of this was down to Covid.    Not the BSPL, not clubs being guilty of calling off matches too soon (although this may have happened) and not because of any poor scheduling.

As most understand, the need for a play-off schedule remains a necessary part of speedway promotion, with profitable crowds the norm (look at the Premiership finals) and any efforts to return to the old, sadly-sometimes-boring "first past the post" system wouldn't be a good idea in a time the sport needs every big attendance it can attract.

The Covid pandemic has been the worst, most-disruptive and world-changing influence of our lifetime.    To blame any other factor for this unseemly struggle to run off the last few meetings isn't, in this truly exceptional year, is a senseless knee-jerk reaction.   

IMO

All the more reason why a decision could have been taken, and some would say should have been taken, to amend the play-offs to 4 teams.

IMO

• Like 1

9 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Yes but haggises sounds better! 

sheeps !

Judging by all the flood alerts going out at the moment in the north of England and southern Scotland plus all the extra security for some conference or other, lets hope that riders can even get to Ashfield in the first place on Tuesday!!?

5 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Is havvy still team manager for the north :D

Officially I think, although Middlo was going up to the original staging in Glasgow before it got called off. 

Just now, lisa-colette said:

Officially I think, although Middlo was going up to the original staging in Glasgow before it got called off. 

Hope middlo is busy :rolleyes:

Just now, Jaizer said:

Hope middlo is busy :rolleyes:

Lol, I think both managers are going to each leg of the finals. Havvy was at Poole last night with Middlo and Middlo went to Edinburgh also with Havvy but I think Havvy will be put down as manager in the programme. 

I am really surprised Poole are not streaming the home leg they would make a fortune the amount of Glasgow fans who want to see this meeting but cannot travel 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GS550 said:

All the more reason why a decision could have been taken, and some would say should have been taken, to amend the play-offs to 4 teams.

IMO

Play offs should have been top 4 or top team seeded to final and 2nd and 3rd team ride home and away. Winner to final. 
Deadline date for fixture completion should never have been extended this year.

you can’t change play off rules during season.

Edited by Endeavour
Addition

Not much talk from Glasgow fans on the subject of the meeting. Are they afraid to bring it up? I will make a prediction.Glasgow will need a 14-16 point lead to be champions.  If it’s 10  they still have a chance but need a rider to step up and score who hasn’t done too well at Poole in the past. Less then 10 and Pirates have every chance to be Champs. 

Well me and Rob have decided to fly up after all. 9 am from Gatwick to Glasgow, giving us most of the day up there before the meeting. Is there much to see in Glasgow? Or better to zip over to Edinburgh? I am not interested in walking around Primark or a shopping Center.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

We know we are the underdogs in this final and we have been so inconsistent all season, however I am sure the team will do their best and if all fire then we could have 2 cracking meetings. We have 1 heatleader against Poole's 3 but we didn't expect to take such a lead agains Edinburgh, so you never know, we might surprise the pirates

53 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Not much talk from Glasgow fans on the subject of the meeting. Are they afraid to bring it up? I will make a prediction.Glasgow will need a 14-16 point lead to be champions.  If it’s 10  they still have a chance but need a rider to step up and score who hasn’t done too well at Poole in the past. Less then 10 and Pirates have every chance to be Champs. 

Well me and Rob have decided to fly up after all. 9 am from Gatwick to Glasgow, giving us most of the day up there before the meeting. Is there much to see in Glasgow? Or better to zip over to Edinburgh? I am not interested in walking around Primark or a shopping Center.

I know wot they will bring up when they ride the Waves of Wimborne Road!:rofl: