British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Glasgow v Poole/Poole v Glasgow. Playoff Final 2/4th Nov 2021.

Just got home from a very hectic 32 hours. But overall it went very well. Both flights were on time and but for COP26 would have been a very nice trip to Glasgow. City is nice but was ruined by a helicopter hovering a thousand feet above the city, for the whole time we were there, so very noisy. The huge police presence was also out but if some nutters had started something we would have been glad they were there. And how many police security services were there in plain clothes we didn’t notice?

I  Thought the stadium tidy. Decent crowd though TBH I expected the crowd to be bigger. Racing wise not bad. A few incidents to mention. Cook in heat one moved big time but no warning from the ref. Worrall moving cannot be blamed on Cook as he was looking the other way. Nowak exc in heat 2 came as a surprise. I was actually looking at him when the tapes went up and didn’t think he touched the tapes. But it was messy and the ref called it as he saw it. I spoke to both Ben Basso and Danny Hume after the meeting and bith said the back wheel lifted at a crucial moment sending them off. Jensen also fell there. Cost Poole 2 5-1s which would have put the title beyond doubt.

In heat 14 Brennan’s tried a big swoop but Basso was already there. Brennan ran out of room. Clear easy call for the ref but the crowd were baying. Ref watched replay but result always Brennan exc. crowd very unhappy but if the ref had buckled he would not be a ref any longer.

Thanks to Andy for giving three of us a lift to airport. Got there but everything shut, no benches and a long, long night with little to no sleep. Breakfast at 4.30 am but amazed that nearly everyone in the airport was drinking beer or wine! At 5 am with breakfast. A Scottish thing? 

Was a pleasant flight back to Gatwick and less than 2 hours later back in Poole before 11 am.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Breakfast at 4.30 am but amazed that nearly everyone in the airport was drinking beer or wine! At 5 am with breakfast. A Scottish thing? 

It's what's known as the obligatory airport pint locally.You're not on holiday from Scotland unless having an airport wetherspoons pint

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Owenbros said:

Nicol also scored 11 guesting for Scunthorpe from the number 1 position

Ah maybe I was thinking of that one! 

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Just hope tomorrow we are not the ones with our eyes streaming! 

Nothing will be bad as 2010, that's the way I see it! ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cookiefan said:

Coming down for this, can you pay at the gate?

If you want to pay by card, you can through glass stand entrance. Though that queue is always longer than cash queue! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevehone said:

Glasgow need to avoid the bumpy outside line on bend 2, keep it low down for the faster route

Tell you haven't been to Poole recently! I wish people judge the track on how it is now rather than how it was! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ruckerroo said:

The key to the second leg is can glasgow hide jensen, whilst sneaking about 3-4 points out of him, the pole should be ok round there.

Poole are favs despite the deficit

He got 6 last time. I think he rode at 4 then? Should put him at 2 imo. 

1 hour ago, Spiderman1 said:

Poole  have all the pressure now ,can only see them choking,tigers match to loose 

This makes no sense! If we have the pressure how is it Glasgow’s to lose??! 

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

What's the weather forecast for Poole on Thursday & what stadium facilities are being made available - have had many a meal in the "Glass Grandstand" restaurant.

Weather forecast is dry, sunny during the day but cold! The Stadium restaurant has not been open for meals although all the snack bars are open so you could risk a burger and chips or similar and take it upstairs to the restaurant area which is open for viewing! The Champs bar (underneath the main grandstand) has reopened after flooding and is fully refurbished The post-match press conferences and celebrations etc are held there too.

Incidentally I hope I'm not tempting fate but Poole are unbeaten at home this season only failing to hit 50+ points on 2 occasions against Edinburgh and Leicester - both of whom Poole beat on their own tracks so only doing the bare minimum at home to get a decent result!!;)

Edited by Skidder1

16 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

He got 6 last time. I think he rode at 4 then? Should put him at 2 imo. 

Think Tom Brennan will be the key man here for Tigers,he has really improved as the season has went on.

Looking forward to my second trip to Poole this season, regardless of the outcome, the best 2 teams in the league deserve to be in the final, not a fan of play offs personally, but we have them, I hope tomorrow's meeting will be as tense and exciting as 1st leg, a 10 point lead is nice to have but I suspect Poole will take the prize unless the Tigers get some good luck for a change, something that we didn't have in previous attempts in finals. It's going to be a long winter so let's all enjoy the final meeting of the season.

37 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Tell you haven't been to Poole recently! I wish people judge the track on how it is now rather than how it was! 

last Wednesday

14 minutes ago, stevehone said:

last Wednesday

just shows you how people see things different :t:

1 hour ago, Jaizer said:

Constructive as ever :t:

Doesn't seem to pollute too many threads nowadays thank goodness.

• Like 3