British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Glasgow v Poole/Poole v Glasgow. Playoff Final 2/4th Nov 2021.

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Just got home from a very hectic 32 hours. But overall it went very well. Both flights were on time and but for COP26 would have been a very nice trip to Glasgow. City is nice but was ruined by a helicopter hovering a thousand feet above the city, for the whole time we were there, so very noisy. The huge police presence was also out but if some nutters had started something we would have been glad they were there. And how many police security services were there in plain clothes we didn’t notice?

I  Thought the stadium tidy. Decent crowd though TBH I expected the crowd to be bigger. Racing wise not bad. A few incidents to mention. Cook in heat one moved big time but no warning from the ref. Worrall moving cannot be blamed on Cook as he was looking the other way. Nowak exc in heat 2 came as a surprise. I was actually looking at him when the tapes went up and didn’t think he touched the tapes. But it was messy and the ref called it as he saw it. I spoke to both Ben Basso and Danny Hume after the meeting and bith said the back wheel lifted at a crucial moment sending them off. Jensen also fell there. Cost Poole 2 5-1s which would have put the title beyond doubt.

In heat 14 Brennan’s tried a big swoop but Basso was already there. Brennan ran out of room. Clear easy call for the ref but the crowd were baying. Ref watched replay but result always Brennan exc. crowd very unhappy but if the ref had buckled he would not be a ref any longer.

Thanks to Andy for giving three of us a lift to airport. Got there but everything shut, no benches and a long, long night with little to no sleep. Breakfast at 4.30 am but amazed that nearly everyone in the airport was drinking beer or wine! At 5 am with breakfast. A Scottish thing? 

Was a pleasant flight back to Gatwick and less than 2 hours later back in Poole before 11 am.

Crowd probably not helped being mid week, out of season and from all accounts pretty cold.Oh and the COP26.

As for the airport drinking in the early hours pretty usual for most brits , silly people.

Edited by topaz325

39 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Crowd probably not helped being mid week, out of season and from all accounts pretty cold.Oh and the COP26.

As for the airport drinking in the early hours pretty usual for most brits , silly people.

+live stream

12 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

+live stream

Yeah on a cold November night you'll probably find families/ older supporters probably chose to watch the stream. I know my dad did, in his words "Am I feck freezing my nuts off there tonight, it's bad enough on a Sunday afternoon" :rofl:

I thought you had to be 30 miles away for the stream or is that just Edinburgh who do that? 

Bend 2 at Wimborne Road............absolutely cracking part of the track to execute an outside pass.........mind if the Tigers' riders go there thinking it's still bumpy then they'll ride the track tentatively and we will whoop them easy. Either way we'll still whoop em so makes no difference! :party:

C'MON THE PIRATES! you get one Trophy you get one Free, I say you get one Trophy you get one Free!! :party:

:D

Edited by PirateShip

4 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I thought you had to be 30 miles away for the stream or is that just Edinburgh who do that? 

Na that's just Edinburgh

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

And I didn't. But if people gonna moan about Poole management not willing to pay the expenses of setting one up then surely they can pay the thousands or whatever it is and can set it up themselves! Instead of moaning. 

how can someone from Glasgow set up a stream from Poole?:rolleyes:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

how can someone from Glasgow set up a stream from Poole?:rolleyes:

You misunderstood what I meant. 

45 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

Bend 2 at Wimborne Road............absolutely cracking part of the track to execute an outside pass.........mind if the Tigers' riders go there thinking it's still bumpy then they'll ride the track tentatively and we will whoop them easy. Either way we'll still whoop em so makes no difference! :party:

C'MON THE PIRATES! you get one Trophy you get one Free, I say you get one Trophy you get one Free!! :party:

:D

They know it's not bumpy as last time they were there was after they sorted the track out. 

2 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

They know it's not bumpy as last time they were there was after they sorted the track out. 

Well we still stuffed em 56-34! :D

3 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

Yes, but Marcin wasn't there then. Will be interesting to see how well he does. 

Barring a complete disaster, Poole have the advantage after the first leg.

So much will depend on the first few heats.  If Glasgow achieve heat advantages - the home side will probably crumble.

If Poole achieve heat advantages - the away side will probably crumble.

TBH  don't care  tuppence for who wins the contrived "p off final"  Poole are deserved league champions on the league table.

Be glad when this silly charade of a meeting held in early winter is over.  

So in summary , 10 points advantage from leg 1 might be enough , on the other hand it might not.

5 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

So 7 points from Marcin and we win then :D

20 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Barring a complete disaster, Poole have the advantage after the first leg.

So much will depend on the first few heats.  If Glasgow achieve heat advantages - the home side will probably crumble.

If Poole achieve heat advantages - the away side will probably crumble.

TBH  don't care  tuppence for who wins the contrived "p off final"  Poole are deserved league champions on the league table.

Be glad when this silly charade of a meeting held in early winter is over.  

So in summary , 10 points advantage from leg 1 might be enough , on the other hand it might not.

I assume you are invited to lots of parties? 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Yes, but Marcin wasn't there then. Will be interesting to see how well he does. 

True, but from what I've seen results wise away from home he hasn't done anything.

Edited by PirateShip