British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Glasgow v Poole/Poole v Glasgow. Playoff Final 2/4th Nov 2021.

18 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Well Peterborough certainly didn’t get anything, they didn’t even supply trophies for either team in the final.

That's outrageous. Can you imagine a team winning the FA cup and buying their own medals.

1 hour ago, Endeavour said:

How much does a team get money wise for winning the play offs?

Nothing but pride 

25 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Isnt it just what they bring in for hosting a play off leg?...

Dont think there is an actual monetary prize..

If there is, it certainly isnt advertised or shouted about as far as I can see...

With no major sponsors, I wouldnt think it's a major "winner" for either team, but both teams reaching the final should make a "few quid"...

Obviously how much money they didnt make earlier in the season due to some fans giving the "qualifiers" a miss some weeks is something that isnt quantifiable..

I still don't know why Scottish & Southern Energy couldn't have been approached to sponsor the 2021Play-Off Final (and the KO Cup Final). Just to agree to put their name to it for just a token amount of cash (or even no money at all) would have raised the profile somewhat - and who knows may have even led to something else!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I still don't know why Scottish & Southern Energy couldn't have been approached to sponsor the 2021Play-Off Final (and the KO Cup Final). Just to agree to put their name to it for just a token amount of cash (or even no money at all) would have raised the profile somewhat - and who knows may have even led to something else!

Energy companies are goin bust.

41 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Barring a complete disaster, Poole have the advantage after the first leg.

So much will depend on the first few heats.  If Glasgow achieve heat advantages - the home side will probably crumble.

If Poole achieve heat advantages - the away side will probably crumble.

TBH  don't care  tuppence for who wins the contrived "p off final"  Poole are deserved league champions on the league table.

Be glad when this silly charade of a meeting held in early winter is over.  

So in summary , 10 points advantage from leg 1 might be enough , on the other hand it might not.

Whatever happens tomorrow it will be exciting racing with a crowd you definitely wouldn't get at a normal meeting between the best two teams in the league. I have always wanted us to win the league as well as the playoffs so nobody can say we didn't deserve it but the playoffs are fantastic and here to stay, they generate a lot of extra cash too which could save a club from going under. 

1 minute ago, PirateShip said:

Energy companies are goin bust.

Not bust enough to pay to have the Naming Rights of the Scottish Exhibition Centre and Arena (SSE Arena)

5 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Not bust enough to pay to have the Naming Rights of the Scottish Exhibition Centre and Arena (SSE Arena)

Is that ovo now?

The KO Cup Trophy was plastic and spinning round on it's base! 

It wud've been nicer to av commissioned Poole pottery (or other similar companies) to make a trophies, or something different from plastic. 

I'm sure previous trophies av been from metals but never mind hey, plastic is the way to go it seems.

Wonder if the Premier League in football have a plastic trophy? Ermmmm nope!........ plastic yuk yuk yuk!!!!

55 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Barring a complete disaster, Poole have the advantage after the first leg.

So much will depend on the first few heats.  If Glasgow achieve heat advantages - the home side will probably crumble.

If Poole achieve heat advantages - the away side will probably crumble.

TBH  don't care  tuppence for who wins the contrived "p off final"  Poole are deserved league champions on the league table.

Be glad when this silly charade of a meeting held in early winter is over.  

So in summary , 10 points advantage from leg 1 might be enough , on the other hand it might not.

Why would Poole crumble? How many times have we crumbled at home this year? Zilch. We have been rock solid at home all season, and  tomorrow we will be rock solid as well. Ten points makes it very interesting but Glasgow can’t throw in Cook for an extra ride, like Poole couldn’t use a t/r last night to close it up.

The Poole crowd will be number 8 and raise the roof for the team. Expect fireworks on and off the track. Fingers crossed by heat 14, Sweet Caroline will be ringing out from the grandstand.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

And Poole (we) had No.1 Carpet Cleaning as team sponsor, WHOOPS! Tad embarrassing!

Yep No.1 alright, so wot I'm saying sponsorship doesn't say everything about a company. Sponsorship and Marketing can make a company go bust if they don't get the returns.

1 hour ago, Andrew2021 said:

A coupe of interesting facts about play-offs from Demark & Poland this year...

Holsted finished 5th in the regular league...won the Play Off Final!

Opole finished top of the Polish League 3, only lost 1 match all season. Topped league by a clear 8.  Lost the P/O Final to Landshut (who finished 3rd in regular league) on agg by one engine failure whilst on a 5-1 in 2nd leg.   Therefore lost out on Title & Promotion.  I was gutted for them. They had one bad meeting at Landshut in the final.

Smederna were Swedish champions three years in a row without ever finishing higher than 3rd in any of the 3 seasons. (2017-19)

2 hours ago, PirateShip said:

Yep that's gutting. But how many times av titles been decided by ef. 

My favourite club rider Dave Perks, NLRC Peterborough '84......last bend last lap chain snapped only for Ian Barney to pass & take the title. This after he had won his 2 rides at the original staging at Wimbledon before the rain cancelled it. 

Gutting for all Long Eaton fans.

Funny as folk to the Panthers fans , we were doing voodoo as they raced down the backstraight on lap 4 and then Perks bike went splutter splutter pop

Edited by scoobydoo

4 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Funny as folk to the Panthers fans , we were doing woodoo as they raced down the backstraight on lap 4 and then Perks bike went splutter splutter pop

Woodoo? Wots a Woodoo? Sounds like some kind of bird call! Hope u didn't get pooped on by a resident pigeon! :lol:

2 hours ago, Endeavour said:

How much does a team get money wise for winning the play offs?

Kings Lynn had to buy their own medals for the riders when they were winning stuff

Yeah at times trophies I've seen presented at speedway look like the ones you got in primary school that were also pencil sharpeners. Bit embarrassing at times