British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Glasgow v Poole/Poole v Glasgow. Playoff Final 2/4th Nov 2021.

5 minutes ago, GS550 said:

And yet he rode like a heat leader first half of the season, an out and out racer that could often overtake anybody with ease, he was even gating well, but later on this season his form dipped as soon as the wetter colder weather came in and tracks became slicker and he couldn't pass.  Still reckon he'll improve again next season, be more consistent, and edge it to be a heat leader.

Weather might have played a part, but he also struggled once he moved up from reserve. I think pressure played a part.

And in fairness to him, he had to move to be a heat leader because of Ullrich’s injury. Ulrich was a big loss. Ricky was inconsistent and that hurt at times too. It wasn’t that he couldn’t pass. He pulled some great moves off. But he always looked a fraction over the limit and it bit him, often.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Minor point, why defer to heat 15 and give Poole gate advantage early on? Surely early on needed to hit them hard, not now a meaningless heat 15?

That’s exactly what I said Jaizer. 

1 minute ago, Endeavour said:

That’s exactly what I said Jaizer. 

It's s bit cocky to say we'll be in it for heat 15, only thought is thought was no specific gate advantage? But went on to lose 5-1 in heat 1 just looks a daft decision now

• Like 1

Great meeting and great result. Glasgow were the best of the rest, by some margin, but ultimately carried too many under performers. There were three Cooks on show tonight, but only two of them can go home happy with their night’s worth. 
Glasgow have a winter to rebuild and rebuild they must. A new number one has to be too of the shopping list……in my opinion :D

2 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

Weather might have played a part, but he also struggled once he moved up from reserve. I think pressure played a part.

And in fairness to him, he had to move to be a heat leader because of Ullrich’s injury. Ulrich was a big loss. Ricky was inconsistent and that hurt at times too. It wasn’t that he couldn’t pass. He pulled some great moves off. But he always looked a fraction over the limit and it bit him, often.

You say he struggled when he stepped up from reserve - no he didn't!!  In fact he rode like a heat leader.  When he stepped up to the main body of the team I expected a dip - it didn't happen.  He was overtaking decent riders like a man possessed and was even gating well.  It was later on that his form suddenly slumped and it coincided with the wetter colder weather when the track was prepared slick and he was finding it difficult to pass and his form went on the slide.  I expect him to become more consistent next season and improve his average and edge it to be a heat leader.  An out and out racer that can overtake anybody with ease when he's on it.

2 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

It's s bit cocky to say we'll be in it for heat 15, only thought is thought was no specific gate advantage? But went on to lose 5-1 in heat 1 just looks a daft decision now

Any team that wants to hit the ground running should have taken choice of gates in first heat. Some odd decisions by team manager too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

One off many this season, I had no hopes of winning it tonight too many inconsistent performances all season and tonight was no different.

A jolly boys to Tenerife on Sunday is softening the blow.

• Like 3

Why would any TM win the toss holding a ten point advantage take gate choices in heat 15, incredible call. Had to be 1 n 3 all night long.  But then again when Cami has been in charge they have only won the pairs if my memory serves correctly. As the Big Man himself would say FTT!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Endeavour said:

Any team that wants to hit the ground running should have taken choice of gates in first heat. Some odd decisions by team manager too.

100%. Thought maybe Sam should've been replaced in 8 not 10. Beyond that Connor eon a race so was deserving of another ride. Big tactical blunder was the gates

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GS550 said:

You say he struggled when he stepped up from reserve - no he didn't!!  In fact he rode like a heat leader.  When he stepped up to the main body of the team I expected a dip - it didn't happen.  He was overtaking decent riders like a man possessed and was even gating well.  It was later on that his form suddenly slumped and it coincided with the wetter colder weather when the track was prepared slick and he was finding it difficult to pass and his form went on the slide.  I expect him to become more consistent next season and improve his average and edge it to be a heat leader.  An out and out racer that can overtake anybody with ease when he's on it.

Will he be aTiger next season.?

Just now, Fromafar said:

Will he be aTiger next season.?

Needs a season away to develop. Preferably at a technical track IMO

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

You say that but its been shown to backfire as well when the better gate(s) early on hasn't produced the expected heat advantage or early edge, and then its backfired at Heat 15 squeaky bum time when the other team has had the gates advantage.  I lost count of the number of times that happened in the televised matches this season.

A case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't".  If you ask me it wouldn't have mattered tonight either way.

• Like 1