British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Glasgow v Poole/Poole v Glasgow. Playoff Final 2/4th Nov 2021.

2 hours ago, Sherborne Green said:

Although I actually agree with you the problem as I see it is how can a rider earn a decent living with so few meetings only riding for one team.

In the past it was great when a rider was only yours and they knew you and you knew them. Riders were part time and still had other jobs.

Sorry but I think those days are past, unfortunately.

They are doing nothing to address the problems,it’s pretty obvious we have to start again and restructure our league to suit the sport in GB .Any rider the becomes decent isn’t going to hang about here.Instead we are concentrating on giving  the riders what they want, to the detriment of the sport.

Av one league, with 5 riders per team.

Top 4 riders av 6 programmed rides. With 2 riders getting an additional ride each in the nominated heat 15.

5th rider (reserve) 4 programmed rides.

This set up will ensure more rides and more meetings also giving more rides with there being only the one league so riders will no longer need 2 teams to earn a living.

Simple solution imo.

22 hours ago, jenga said:

can you name the top two heatleaders in every premier team please ?

I could but that has absolutely nothing to do with my point as I've already said that both keagues use virtually the same riders  :rolleyes:

On 11/6/2021 at 4:37 PM, lisa-colette said:

I really enjoyed the Champ final, obviously! More so then some of the Prem finals we were in like the Poole vs KL one. Only 2003 final beats it (and prob 2015 vs BV as that one was for Darcy) and not easy to win 3 in a row!!

Actually this season I actually managed 8 meetings, which is probably the most since 2010! When I've managed 3/4 each season because of responsibilities and not living in the area. 

Absolutely but as a neutral I can't remember anything better than this years Premiership final, the racing in both legs but particularly the BV leg was incredible. They are the two best racetracks in the country IMO, the only thing that leage lacks is variety. It needs eight teams minimum. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Absolutely but as a neutral I can't remember anything better than this years Premiership final, the racing in both legs but particularly the BV leg was incredible. They are the two best racetracks in the country IMO, the only thing that leage lacks is variety. It needs eight teams minimum. 

The Premiership certainly does need more teams but in turn that will water the top division down even more (if possible) unless sum GP boys come over or ex GP boys come back. Doyle, Zagar and Chris Holder for example.

4 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I could but that has absolutely nothing to do with my point as I've already said that both keagues use virtually the same riders  :rolleyes:

so ,  do you think the premier league is far better because they can charge more for entry even though both leagues use virtually the same riders as you have stated  or is it down to better tea,burgers etc. ?

as i dont buy speedway  star  , could you name the top rider in the 6 ,thats SIX teams in the posh league ?

Edited by jenga

11 hours ago, jenga said:

so ,  do you think the premier league is far better because they can charge more for entry even though both leagues use virtually the same riders as you have stated  or is it down to better tea,burgers etc. ?

as i dont buy speedway  star  , could you name the top rider in the 6 ,thats SIX teams in the posh league ?

Only TWO of the top scoring riders in the Premier League don’t ride in the Championship……Jack Holder and Dan Bewley….So what makes it Premier?……..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

Only TWO of the top scoring riders in the Premier League don’t ride in the Championship……Jack Holder and Dan Bewley….So what makes it Premier?……..

And Dan no longer rides here!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ragdoll64 said:

Don't think Brady Kurtz rides in the Championship!! 

2 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

I think 5 was the number reported in the Star.

Luke Becker, just one short now then! 

14 hours ago, jenga said:

I dont think the Premiership is 'far better', I never said I did. What I did say is that apart from the number of teams ie the lack of variety in the 'top' league there is very little difference because the riders are essentially the same, and both leagues have good tracks and crap ones. 

Both leagues are overpriced, that's why I very rarely go any more. I expect the Premiership is a bit more expensive as the riders get paid a bit more.

Its been suggested on another thread that the Prem will remain at six clubs because they don't want to share the TV money with anyone else and that's very disappointing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Luke Becker, just one short now then! 

I thought Hans was the fifth before he signed for Leicester? 

2 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I dont think the Premiership is 'far better', I never said I did. What I did say is that apart from the number of teams ie the lack of variety in the 'top' league there is very little difference because the riders are essentially the same, and both leagues have good tracks and crap ones. 

Both leagues are overpriced, that's why I very rarely go any more. I expect the Premiership is a bit more expensive as the riders get paid a bit more.

Its been suggested on another thread that the Prem will remain at six clubs because they don't want to share the TV money with anyone else and that's very disappointing.

Oh dear, fighting over the crumbs!