British Speedway Forum
FishersGate

Leicester Lions 2022 Line up

On 12/18/2021 at 9:34 PM, Teromaafan said:

I wasn’t there but I understand it was just the twins and Rowe practising. Josh Bates was apparently due to join them (in an attempt to impress team managers yet to complete there 1 to 7) but apparently fell off his bike in the pits and on the advice of medics decided to call it a day despite luckily landing on his head.

Sums up Josh and his fortune with injuries really. 

On 12/18/2021 at 9:54 PM, ljriley90 said:

Thats a good idea really, should be a pooling together of riders looking for a team spot doing an open training session with a couple of heats maybe to get in the shop window, though i giess the pickings are slim given the pool of british based riders without a club this time kf year will be small

Could work for NL though where some promoters might not necessarily know about new riders 

Used to happen at Rye House a lot, come along, show us what you are all about etc only shame was that the team had been picked months in advance but it certainly boosted the attendances at the practice days.

1 hour ago, W9 Lion said:

Thought the most impressive rider of the day was Max Perry. He looks like he is going to the top. I think he can do the NDL in 2022 and would be a great signing for any club.

He scored well at the scunthorpe winter series too

• Like 1

5 hours ago, W9 Lion said:

Thought the most impressive rider of the day was Max Perry. He looks like he is going to the top. I think he can do the NDL in 2022 and would be a great signing for any club.

Agreed, but I was unsure which was which on the track, Max James or Max Perry!:D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gambo said:

Agreed, but I was unsure which was which on the track, Max James or Max Perry!:D

I don’t think that will be the last time that Lions fans will be getting confused which Max it is in 2022

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Used to happen at Rye House a lot, come along, show us what you are all about etc only shame was that the team had been picked months in advance but it certainly boosted the attendances at the practice days.

For the avoidance of doubt the reference to Josh was made up (based on his last involvement in the sport). It was meant as a laugh although I really do hope that someone will take a punt on his enthusiasm. We all love a racer but there are acceptance limits regarding injuries to opponents and themselves.

• Haha 1

As long as it's 'someone' and not Leicester. :D Unfortunately I can't attend any more but I would say Josh Bates was dangerous on a bike rather than enthusiastic. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

He needs to be fit for the upcoming tobogganing season :D

• Haha 5

Looks like the Thomson twins will riding in the national League ..there clearly too good for it but need regular rides. I'm only thinking this because they need regular meetings and with the uncertainty of the new no 8s in the prem

• Like 2

With being 17 years old & 2 years experience, I would say another year would help enormously whether too good or not. Gilkes is probably another who could & I would have said Palin could have, also, if he could have rode 3 leagues as the top league could have set him back. Yes, people will say if you're good enough then ok but I think you need that bit of experience & learning behind you before taking that step further. The Fast Track in the Elite(Premiership) proved that a few years back.

The Poles seem to have been doing ok this last 5 years or more keeping youth at reserve & now taking it a step further with the U24 league which will benefit all nationality of youth riders.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ScottyJ said:

Looks like the Thomson twins will riding in the national League ..there clearly too good for it but need regular rides. I'm only thinking this because they need regular meetings and with the uncertainty of the new no 8s in the prem

Is this confirmed anywhere? Would have thought Dan had out grown this league already. Give Joe anther season maybe.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

Is this confirmed anywhere? Would have thought Dan had out grown this league already. Give Joe anther season maybe.

Just been hearing it from some good people that is all. People who went the practice day found out some info I heard.

If the Thompsons need to improve their gating skills as Mr Dickson has said, why not hire someone highly experienced and still currently riding such as Chris Harris to give them regular tuition during the winter. I think he lives near to Leicester so that would be an ideal arrangement 

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Hamish McRaker said:

If the Thompsons need to improve their gating skills as Mr Dickson has said, why not hire someone highly experienced and still currently riding such as Chris Harris to give them regular tuition during the winter. I think he lives near to Leicester so that would be an ideal arrangement 

Isn't gating about reaction time though? I remember a computer simulation designed for the emergency services that improved reaction time and it involved hazards which required immediate breaking. Obviously speedway rides don't need breaking skills (evasion skills perhaps) but a computer simulation which demands quick starting reactions for cars/bikes must exist somewhere. Plus, there must be some sort of way of knowing almost precisely the approximate time from when the starting marshall leaves the tapes to when the tapes go up. I'm no expert though so perhaps I'm way off the mark.

2 hours ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Gating tuition from Chris Harris? Surely not:rofl:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Nickinho said:

Isn't gating about reaction time though? I remember a computer simulation designed for the emergency services that improved reaction time and it involved hazards which required immediate breaking. Obviously speedway rides don't need breaking skills (evasion skills perhaps) but a computer simulation which demands quick starting reactions for cars/bikes must exist somewhere. Plus, there must be some sort of way of knowing almost precisely the approximate time from when the starting marshall leaves the tapes to when the tapes go up. I'm no expert though so perhaps I'm way off the mark.

There is an electronic gating device, it may have been made by the guy who made magic boxes.

• Like 1