British Speedway Forum
FishersGate

Leicester Lions 2022 Line up

57 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

I really can't wrap my head around all this hate fir Max... he's a brilliant trier and scored well for us from second string and sometimes heatleader positions...? I know we had a really bad team, but still... he's A LOT better than Connor Coles certainly...

It must be ppl still thinking 15 in nl is guaranteed points in cl which is not the case or scunthorpe wouldn't of dropped him and max would score 15most meetings if he was in nl 

Edited by mc131

For me it's not a matter of who is better Clegg or Coles but the whole idea of tracking a Cubs team... a Cubs team that as a Lions supporter I am often expected to subsidise in the way of not having a choice to watch them if I want to watch the Lions in action. If I am subsidising the Cubs I want to see some rider progression with club assets being promoted from the Cubs to the Lions

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, iainb said:

For me it's not a matter of who is better Clegg or Coles but the whole idea of tracking a Cubs team... a Cubs team that as a Lions supporter I am often expected to subsidise in the way of not having a choice to watch them if I want to watch the Lions in action. If I am subsidising the Cubs I want to see some rider progression with club assets being promoted from the Cubs to the Lions

I get tht but when the 1-5 out of Cubs team is in the main team the nos 3-4 are just not ready mayb the season after when they are 1-5 in nl team surely that's how it should work? 

6 hours ago, Nickinho said:

I saw Connor Coles riding at Ashfield last month and he did not look a Championship rider at all. He scored a grand total of 1 and was not on the pace at all. Clegg is the better rider, the more experienced and the more likely to score points away. Just because he hasn't been great in the short time he's been at Leicester means nothing at all. Stewart Dickson knows enough to have brought him into the team and he'll be proved right soon enough. 

In defence of Coles, Glasgow away must be the toughest place for a Championship reserve, as their reserves have 5.00 averages

• Like 2

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

In defence of Coles, Glasgow away must be the toughest place for a Championship reserve, as their reserves have 5.00 averages

pretty sure cole’s got a paid win in the reserve race when he was at scunny 

On 7/17/2022 at 12:06 AM, Turnip said:

I was at the Lions Den tonight & on tonight's performance Coles would easily beat Cleggy.

Cleggy, don't know what has happened to him as he was progressing well in his career but now he looks like he'd struggle in the NDL.

It was noticeable on Saturday just how many times Max looked behind him during his races. On one occasion coming out of bend two he looked to his right where there was no rider so he looked to his left just in time to see the rider come by. The only time he didn't look back   was when the other three riders were already in front.  
This sort of on track habit is a strong indication of a  lack of confidence in his own speed or ability to stay ahead of the riders behind him. Hopefully a spell at reserve, a few practice sessions as well as some positive encouragement from team mates and management will help improve his confidence and  form back to the levels he is capable of. 

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, mac101 said:

pretty sure cole’s got a paid win in the reserve race when he was at scunny 

Coles seemed to do well in heat 2 at Scunthorpe, but struggled after in the tougher heats (as you'd expect)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1 valve said:

It was noticeable on Saturday just how many times Max looked behind him during his races. On one occasion coming out of bend two he looked to his right where there was no rider so he looked to his left just in time to see the rider come by. The only time he didn't look back   was when the other three riders were already in front.  

Interesting, I've noticed Max looking around far too often this season,,, which we know hinders your progress. 

On the other hand, observed from someone else,,, his team-mate seemed to be riding against him?

Edited by ruffdiamond

22 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Coles seemed to do well in heat 2 at Scunthorpe, but struggled after in the tougher heats (as you'd expect)

The disparities between the rides that 6&7 get are vast. A number 6 can do alright in heat 2, face the next two rides with tough riders and then often get pulled from thier last ride as the 7 has been scoring in the "easier" heats. 

• Like 1

Max Clegg is simply just not very good. It’s not hate towards him. He has not progressed for years. A 1 track rider which is why he has got the average he has. My argument is yes Connor Coles has a lot lower average but round Leicester he beats  riders who are reserves in the Championship & looks fast.

10 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

Max Clegg is simply just not very good. It’s not hate towards him. He has not progressed for years. A 1 track rider which is why he has got the average he has. My argument is yes Connor Coles has a lot lower average but round Leicester he beats  riders who are reserves in the Championship & looks fast.

I think it's fair to say he's reached his level, as many riders do, which is ok, not everybody is going to become World Champion. Like Coles he obviously likes racing his Speedway bike or he wouldn't have kept doing it for so long, 

I don't want to put anyone down, I'm sure the guy is doing his best. But, Max Clegg isn't the man for the job at Leicester.

I'm afraid he isn't good enough for this league. When it comes to the playoffs we are really going to get caught out at reserve, especially away from home. 

Hope I'm proved wrong. 

59 minutes ago, justathought said:

I don't want to put anyone down, I'm sure the guy is doing his best. But, Max Clegg isn't the man for the job at Leicester.

I'm afraid he isn't good enough for this league. When it comes to the playoffs we are really going to get caught out at reserve, especially away from home. 

Hope I'm proved wrong. 

Max has had an awful season so far which has affected his performance.He has has 2 engine blow ups,1 which has gone in the bin,He has had an awful lot of bike problems and when your riding once a week or even 2 weeks it’s hard to fix these problems.Then the problem with Newcastle closing hasn’t helped him at all.After the Redcar meeting he took both engines out and had a few alterations made and rebuilt through the night to get them built back up for Leicester Saturday.(which didn’t go well either).since then he has made a lot of changes to both engines and the bikes at vast expense and has been testing them at Leicester 3 times since to try get things back on track.just needed to post this as I’ve been a follower of max since he was a little kid on grasstrack and a long time family friend,to let you all know how hard they are working to get things right again.no one more than max wants to get back to scoring points.maybe give him some support rather than slating him at every chance(Lenny).Thank you for all that has sent him positive messages.

best of luck to max & Leicester for the rest of the season.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, bigred said:

Max has had an awful season so far which has affected his performance.He has has 2 engine blow ups,1 which has gone in the bin,He has had an awful lot of bike problems and when your riding once a week or even 2 weeks it’s hard to fix these problems.Then the problem with Newcastle closing hasn’t helped him at all.After the Redcar meeting he took both engines out and had a few alterations made and rebuilt through the night to get them built back up for Leicester Saturday.(which didn’t go well either).since then he has made a lot of changes to both engines and the bikes at vast expense and has been testing them at Leicester 3 times since to try get things back on track.just needed to post this as I’ve been a follower of max since he was a little kid on grasstrack and a long time family friend,to let you all know how hard they are working to get things right again.no one more than max wants to get back to scoring points.maybe give him some support rather than slating him at every chance(Lenny).Thank you for all that has sent him positive messages.

best of luck to max & Leicester for the rest of the season.

I appreciate all that you have said. I do not doubt his commitment and effort, I personally feel that he has reached his level, in terms of ability. 

I could be totally wrong and I really hope he proves it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, justathought said:

I appreciate all that you have said. I do not doubt his commitment and effort, I personally feel that he has reached his level, in terms of ability. 

I could be totally wrong and I really hope he proves it.

Of course Max's level is all relative to the level of the league he's riding in... he may appear to be worse than he is in a middle league that is almost as strong as the top league