British Speedway Forum
FishersGate

Leicester Lions 2022 Line up

On 10/23/2021 at 5:02 PM, lewy said:

I personally think the rising star rule will scrapped. 

Given it was a "5 year plan" what are the chances the "rising star" rule will be dropped after ONE season?

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

Premiership for the Lions i've heard........

I do hope so, the quality of Speedway around that particular track is so much better with PL class riders

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

I think 6 weeks ago or more I was hearing Plymouth/Kent were looking to move up

Now I have heard the Lions rumour too and the Poole rumour is allegedly stronger than ever (with special dispensation to race on Wednesday nights at home).

Premiership

Belle Vue
Ipswich
Kings Lynn
Peterborough
Sheffield
Wolves
Leicester and/or Poole

Championship

Berwick
Edinburgh 
Glasgow
Kent
Newcastle
Plymouth
Redcar 
Scunthorpe
Oxford

potential at least for a 7 side Prem with a view to Swindon making it 8 possibly 9 if Poole do go up.

Championship a 9 team division possibly 10 if one of Lions/Poole do not go up

then question marks over Birmingham, Eastbourne

If Leicester go up then the next rumour that goes with that is that they will cease the Leicester Cubs side in the NDL 

NDL would leave Mildenhall, Armadale, Colts, Bullets, Royals, Mildenhall and possibly Brum/Eastie

14 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Now I have heard the Lions rumour too and the Poole rumour is allegedly stronger than ever (with special dispensation to race on Wednesday nights at home).

Premiership

Belle Vue
Ipswich
Kings Lynn
Peterborough
Sheffield
Wolves
Leicester and/or Poole

Championship

Berwick
Edinburgh 
Glasgow
Kent
Newcastle
Plymouth
Redcar 
Scunthorpe
Oxford

potential at least for a 7 side Prem with a view to Swindon making it 8 possibly 9 if Poole do go up.

If Leicester go up then the next rumour that goes with that is that they will cease the Leicester Cubs side in the NDL 

NDL would leave Mildenhall, Armadale, Colts, Bullets, Royals, Mildenhall and possibly Brum/Eastie

Goodness knows where you are getting your 'rumours' from?  Leicester to move from a Saturday night??  Swindon are NOT running in 2022 (yet to be decided if ever again?!)

34 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Premiership

Belle Vue
Ipswich
Kings Lynn
Peterborough
Sheffield
Wolves
Leicester and/or Poole

Championship

Berwick
Edinburgh 
Glasgow
Kent
Newcastle
Plymouth
Redcar 
Scunthorpe
Oxford

Rumours:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Goodness knows where you are getting your 'rumours' from?  Leicester to move from a Saturday night??  Swindon are NOT running in 2022 (yet to be decided if ever again?!)

yes Swindon to potentially make it 8 or 9 teams when they return in 2022

It's quite plausible that whoever moves up might have some form of carrot dangled in front of them to move away from any race night they currently run in

but go back to my first reply, several weeks ago it was 2 other clubs, now its 2 other clubs, but the Poole one is the strongest of the lot, but if they allow them to run Wednesdays, what is to stop other clubs running whenever they wanted to as well 

**edit** IF swindon return in 2022 not WHEN, IF IF IF

Edited by Falcon1983
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

yes Swindon to potentially make it 8 or 9 teams when they return in 2022

It's quite plausible that whoever moves up might have some form of carrot dangled in front of them to move away from any race night they currently run in

but go back to my first reply, several weeks ago it was 2 other clubs, now its 2 other clubs, but the Poole one is the strongest of the lot, but if they allow them to run Wednesdays, what is to stop other clubs running whenever they wanted to as well 

**edit** IF swindon return in 2022 not WHEN, IF IF IF

Swindon have already announced and confirmed they will not be running in 2022.

Any decision from Poole will be a financial one having lost big money in 2019 due to poor attendances on 'off' race nights ie Thursdays (despite finishing top of the Premiership) and the loss and let-down of their main sponsor mid-season costing them in excess of £20k. I cannot see any 'carrot' big enough in the BSPL finances to attract them back after just one truncated Championship season - unless Eurosport have decided to increase their funding and are desperate to broadcast from somewhere other than NSS, Monmore or anywhere north of Watford!!!!!!???

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

If Leicester go up (or more likely stay put) i still think it will be the end of the Cubs. The Thompsons won't feature any more within it and it was generated again solely for their development. Throw in the forced double headers that Leicester didn't like and that it will be a tiny league if there is no Brum or Eastie, Royals will be doubts and you can't count Mildenhall multiple times to boost the numbers.

I'll be very surprised if Leicester move up, especially if  Premiership race nights remain the same. Saturday is the night for speedway at Leicester. Crowds dropped off when they rode on Mondays - fewer kids in the crowd  and  the Premiership was a lot stronger then than it is now.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

If Leicester go up (or more likely stay put) i still think it will be the end of the Cubs. The Thompsons won't feature any more within it and it was generated again solely for their development. Throw in the forced double headers that Leicester didn't like and that it will be a tiny league if there is no Brum or Eastie, Royals will be doubts and you can't count Mildenhall multiple times to boost the numbers.

17 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Strange how you manufactured a reply from a quote that I did not make.:blink:Not to worry though.

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Strange how you manufactured a reply from a quote that I did not make.:blink:Not to worry though.

Apologies bugger knows how i managed that.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Throw in the forced double headers that Leicester didn't like

The double headers were forced on the fans... were they forced on the promotion?

46 minutes ago, iainb said:

The double headers were forced on the fans... were they forced on the promotion?

Some promotions insisted that they would only take part in the NDL if the matches were held as double headers "where possible" and whilst their inclusion for the league as a whole was beneficial any impact on another clubs operating model should have been taken into consideration

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

Really? 
A couple of big hurdles to overcome
A move away from regular Saturday race nights & a change of ownership required (if Sheffield stay in top flight)
Frankly, why do the Lions need to move up anyway?