British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gerbat1875

Whats happening with Birmingham ?

Any news on any potential takeover at the Brummies, such a shame if we lost a famous club, all i know is if the club is closed down then the track at Perry Barr would have to be removed to its original state before Brummies re-opened in 2007, fingers crossed that something is sorted out but the silence is deafening, and at this moment in time it looks like the death of the Brummies, I doubt very much if planning permission would be granted again if the club reformed in a couple of years time, especially if the track is removed 

Thought I read a few weeks ago that have had some interest, but not sure how far that got? 

I had heard there were a couple of interested parties as to how far they went/gone i have no idea but it does seem to have gone quiet, the persons mentioned have both been involved in the Sport for many years in different aspects and are Midlands based, but i suspect many people must have heard the same rumours.

Still lots going on ...so the doom and gloom merchants can perhaps be patient and wait to see the outcome of the interest as these things are not just completed overnight .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Speedway fan said:

Still lots going on ...so the doom and gloom merchants can perhaps be patient and wait to see the outcome of the interest as these things are not just completed overnight .

Don't see any doom and gloom here, just a basic question, it would be nice for the club to make some sort of statement regarding the state of play. When is the cut off date for clubs to announce to the authorities the intentions for 2022 whether they are racing or not, what league teams are intending to race in, time waits for no man, of course things are not done overnight we know that. I am involved at Perry Barr greyhound stadium and nothing is coming through in regards to the speedway for 2022, I fear we have seen the last of the Brummies, but hope that someone can come in and rebuild what Tony Mole and Brian Buck fought so hard to bring back to Birmingham. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gerbat1875 said:

Don't see any doom and gloom here, just a basic question, it would be nice for the club to make some sort of statement regarding the state of play. When is the cut off date for clubs to announce to the authorities the intentions for 2022 whether they are racing or not, what league teams are intending to race in, time waits for no man, of course things are not done overnight we know that. I am involved at Perry Barr greyhound stadium and nothing is coming through in regards to the speedway for 2022, I fear we have seen the last of the Brummies, but hope that someone can come in and rebuild what Tony Mole and Brian Buck fought so hard to bring back to Birmingham. 

• Haha 2

Don’t see how “the club” can put out any info, seeing as the Mason’s have packed up and “ the club” is a fictitious entity.

What would anyone be buying ? A note saying they have a ticket to the BSPL end of season bash, a list of assets ( air fence , tractor? No water cart ) Seems the self employed riders have already started looking elsewhere so doubt any rider “assets” have any value. Oh I gues any prospective buyer would get any unpaid invoices to clear before being allowed to attend at the BSPL ? 

The point is, I suspect, that someone is trying to pursuade the previous owners that something which they think is worth £68,000 is basically worthless. We don't need to start panicking just yet ... IIRC, the planning permission stated that if speedway is to finish, the stadium has to be returned to its original form. This is likely to be very expensive; who will have to pay for it?

1 hour ago, *JJ said:

The point is, I suspect, that someone is trying to pursuade the previous owners that something which they think is worth £68,000 is basically worthless. We don't need to start panicking just yet ... IIRC, the planning permission stated that if speedway is to finish, the stadium has to be returned to its original form. This is likely to be very expensive; who will have to pay for it?

Well that's the big question who would pick up the bill, I get the feeling that if Brummies continue it will be in the NDL,  would love to see someone like Jason Lyons or Phil Morris involved in a prominent role of management or development of young riders, trouble is again it comes down to cost, speedway is not very popular in Birmingham anymore especially with the younger generation, I would say a good portion of Brum supporters are in the 55+ age bracket. Birmingham is a city going through a big change regarding the regeneration of things, there is lots of things to do and with the football clubs, the cricket, speedway in Brum has a lot of competition in attracting supporters, I think everything has been tried to attract a new generation of speedway fans, unfortunately it's not really worked, maybe for a couple of weeks then the interest goes away, I took my grandsons down first week they loved it, week after they wanted to go home after 2 heats, I take them to football and T20 cricket at Edgbaston and they love it, the atmosphere at these is a different world, but like I said before, hopefully someone can come in and do things which will bring younger generation fans to Brum. 

8 minutes ago, Gerbat1875 said:

Well that's the big question who would pick up the bill, I get the feeling that if Brummies continue it will be in the NDL,  would love to see someone like Jason Lyons or Phil Morris involved in a prominent role of management or development of young riders, trouble is again it comes down to cost, speedway is not very popular in Birmingham anymore especially with the younger generation, I would say a good portion of Brum supporters are in the 55+ age bracket. Birmingham is a city going through a big change regarding the regeneration of things, there is lots of things to do and with the football clubs, the cricket, speedway in Brum has a lot of competition in attracting supporters, I think everything has been tried to attract a new generation of speedway fans, unfortunately it's not really worked, maybe for a couple of weeks then the interest goes away, I took my grandsons down first week they loved it, week after they wanted to go home after 2 heats, I take them to football and T20 cricket at Edgbaston and they love it, the atmosphere at these is a different world, but like I said before, hopefully someone can come in and do things which will bring younger generation fans to Brum. 

Jason Lyons?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Gerbat1875 said:

I think the kids like to go to other sports as other kids are there....

When my lad started to go to BV as a five year old there were around five other kids of the same (ish) age who all ran around in between heats together..

I would imagine standing around for a couple of hours when you are several decades younger than every one else there must be a bit boring and unappealing...

T20 in particular targets families and does a very good job of doing it....

3 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I think the kids like to go to other sports as other kids are there....

When my lad started to go to BV as a five year old there were around five other kids of the same (ish) age who all ran around in between heats together..

I would imagine standing around for a couple of hours when you are several decades younger than every one else there must be a bit boring and unappealing...

T20 in particular targets families and does a very good job of doing it....

T20 is great for the kids, it's exciting and quite cheap for a good entertainment package, I can't see how speedway can compete when other sports offer far more for the kids, I don't know what could be done to attract a younger generation, ask any kid a famous footballer he will reel off 20-30 names, ask him to name a famous speedway rider I bet 99% would not be able to name one.

• Like 2

With the AGM only a few weeks away I guess everyone will hear something then?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gerbat1875 said:

it would be nice for the club to make some sort of statement regarding the state of play.

So a statement saying there is nothing to report is what you're looking for? How frequently would you like those updates? Speedway Fan, over to you!

• Like 1