British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Endeavour

Rule change for tape exclusion

2 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

..............Just get rid of the tapes and use a laser beam to detect it. 

Two laser beams. One at the back of the bikes to prevent backing off.

27 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Let 'em roll creep push and stretch  the tapes as much as they dare after the start marshall walks away. Ref lets the tapes up when the rolling rider is moving backwards and is left at the gate.

However if the tapes are broken ....that rider is EXCLUDED.

And should be put back 15m. If a team has a strong reserve that team is not penalised. Look at the Panthers and the strong reserve they maintained throughout the season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, False dawn said:

Two laser beams. One at the back of the bikes to prevent backing off.

So when old bob was younger bob back in the day, Wimbledon tried a system where a scaffold pole was placed behind the bikes at the start once the green light came on to prevent riders moving back.

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

So when old bob was younger bob back in the day, Wimbledon tried a system where a scaffold pole was placed behind the bikes at the start once the green light came on to prevent riders moving back.

Not placed at you Bob not one bit, but god with the trouble the sport has in this Country why would anyone be that bothered about a trivial ruling.? Stupid rules and over complicating speedway has totally ruined our model in the Uk it is totally flawed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

And I remember once at Birmingham, a thick rope was used for the same reason. The riders fought and struggled to get their bikes back over the rope in order to do their gardening and jumping ... All of these shifts will only work if the riders are forced to co-operate with them, by being disqualified if necessary.

As Peter Adams once said if barbed wire was introduced it would soon stop riders fidgeting about at the start when some riders moaned aout the tape touching rule and dragging clutches.

On 10/26/2021 at 4:17 PM, old bob at herne bay said:

Let 'em roll creep push and stretch  the tapes as much as they dare after the start marshall walks away. Ref lets the tapes up when the rolling rider is moving backwards and is left at the gate.

However if the tapes are broken ....that rider is EXCLUDED.

ah the good old days

• Like 2

On 10/26/2021 at 4:49 PM, old bob at herne bay said:

I must admit, I do like that..

Gets the crowd going too when its one of the opposition doing it..

There is still a delaying the start rule so that can used by the ref if he feels someone is taking the 'Gerd Riss'...

It was great to see and hear Ivan getting the bird off rival fans as he went into the tapes time after time, and then hear the cheers as he rolled back and the tapes went up with him last away

Mind you, he was still leading most times by the third turn, lap one..:D

37 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I must admit, I do like that..

Gets the crowd going too when its one of the opposition doing it..

There is still a delaying the start rule so that can used by the ref if he feels someone is taking the 'Gerd Riss'...

It was great to see and hear Ivan getting the bird off rival fans as he went into the tapes time after time, and then hear the cheers as he rolled back and the tapes went up with him last away

Mind you, he was still leading most times by the third turn, lap one..:D

Garry Middleton would lead riders into the tapes and get them excluding much to the jeers of the opposition but cheers from the rest!

• Like 1

Sorry if this has already been asked but I've seen videos from the 70's and 80's where the riders are rolling over the tapes at the start. What was the deal with this? Were they excluded if they did it so many times etc?

2 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

Sorry if this has already been asked but I've seen videos from the 70's and 80's where the riders are rolling over the tapes at the start. What was the deal with this? Were they excluded if they did it so many times etc?

They were only excluded if they broke the tapes or (I think) if both wheels went over the line.

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

They were only excluded if they broke the tapes or (I think) if both wheels went over the line.

May have been if the rear spindle went over the line?

Starts back in the day were a joke…it did add to the tension watching riders rolling back and forwards trying to get a flyer…but when you look back on it now it was ridiculous really and starts were completely unfair..watching the old videos now only emphasises that..

i remember the new starting laws coming in around 1984 or so and it took a lot of getting used to and a fair few exclusions but riders adapted and no doubt starts became fairer..

starts are pretty fair now as long as some start marshals ensure all riders are at the tapes and not half a mile away like the Peterborough start marshal in the final so I think it’s fine…..I still don’t mind the gardening before a race though, it all adds to the tension.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bruiser said:

Starts back in the day were a joke…it did add to the tension watching riders rolling back and forwards trying to get a flyer…but when you look back on it now it was ridiculous really and starts were completely unfair..watching the old videos now only emphasises that..

i remember the new starting laws coming in around 1984 or so and it took a lot of getting used to and a fair few exclusions but riders adapted and no doubt starts became fairer..

starts are pretty fair now as long as some start marshals ensure all riders are at the tapes and not half a mile away like the Peterborough start marshal in the final so I think it’s fine…..I still don’t mind the gardening before a race though, it all adds to the tension.

I recall that Eric Gundersen in particular having difficulty adjusting primarily.

I remember seeing images (1973?) when as an experiment placing boards between riders (akin to horse racing) so they couldn't distract each other. Never took off and I'm not surprised!