British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Endeavour

Rule change for tape exclusion

7 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I recall that Eric Gundersen in particular having difficulty adjusting primarily.

Michael Lee didn't take to it too well either in a Test Match v the USA I seem to remember... :D

• Like 2

8 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I recall that Eric Gundersen in particular having difficulty adjusting primarily.

Eridid indeed have some issues adjusting to the new rules. 
He was quite the expert at the tape nudging...A viewing of the 1984 World Team Cup final, when FIM rules still allowed it when British rules were a bit more fuzzy, would confirm that :D

I seem to remember going to the BLRC in 1984 hoping to see Erik win, only for him to be excluded for tape touching in a race off for the title with Morton and Nielsen :cry:

• Like 1

Hans was another who used to touch the tapes prior to the ruling but managed to adapt his technique acordingly however I do remember the inconsistances during the first season of its introduction and referees were allowed to use discretion and a race featuring both Hans and Peter Collins at Cowley whereby Hans remained still and Peter nuudged the tapes but the ref allowed the race to start and Peter got a flier beating Hans in the process!

Start Marshalls need to be much more consistent and in line with every club in the league like in Poland. No lining up at an angle other than 90 degrees to the tapes. Front wheel one inch from tapes, which need to be taut. If a rider moves they will hit the tapes and be exc. if they roll back, the will be exc.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 3

On 10/26/2021 at 9:23 AM, iainb said:

It seems perfectly simple to me, a rider should have 2 minutes to be at the start ready to race, if they touch the tapes they are excluded, what's difficult about that? Any of the other starting shenanigans are always up to interpretation, so why have them. So what if a rider gets a flyer or anticipates the start, this used to add a bit of unpredictability into proceedings, I still remember Jason Gage beating Hans Nielsen at Peterborough because he got a flyer... and Andy Meredith out trapping Hans at Coventry with Nielsen making a right pickle of trying to get round him.

From the Speedway I've seen in this country, this season, the starts haven't really been an issue, I don't know if anything has changed but it doesn't seem as bad as in previous years. Watching some Swedish Speedway on the other hand and some of their starts have been terrible and you can almost guarantee the first race of every TV match will be called back... such an anti-climax.

Completely agree, with this. Who cares if riders are able to anticipate the start? Isn't it another skill for a rider to have?

On 10/25/2021 at 4:53 PM, Endeavour said:

Can see your point of view but referees would need to be more consistent at starts. Some let riders away with murder . I prefer refs that are sticklers for the rules.

It gets my vote but only works if the Start Marshal gets all riders to start within 75mm of the tapes. This makes it much harder for a rider to roll but I think most SM's are more interested in being a riders mate rather than discharging their responsibility.

18 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Start Marshalls need to be much more consistent and in line with every club in the league like in Poland. No lining up at an angle other than 90 degrees to the tapes. Front wheel one inch from tapes, which need to be taut. If a rider moves they will hit the tapes and be exc. if they roll back, the will be exc.

At present its 75mm with nothing about the riders lining up in a straight line to the kerb