British Speedway Forum

37 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

If Berwick make decent last signing with the points they have to play with they will be dark horses IMO.Potential there with Glasgow IF  Ulle comes back OK.

I agree 2 very big ifs in there.

Just now, Bandit59 said:

I agree 2 very big ifs in there.

Yeah if Berwick could get Jorgensen to change his mind I'd fancy you big time to win the league, if have to settle for a Gap or similar signing then maybe play offs at best. Happy with the Glasgow side but wouldn't say it's strongest team I've ever seen and as always be down to luck and injuries

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FromBendThree said:

Not even one clap. Not really innovative at all. The effort should have gone into creating a story that would reach non-speedway people in the central belt of Scotland. Like most speedway PR, including stunts, they are preaching to the converted. Tell it straight; put in on your website and social media at the same time. The fans will then know - and yes the Speedway Star on a Thursday. But, if you have the time and ability, find something really innovative to reach people who never go to speedway.Grab their attention.

Ok but what about supporter retention too? I don’t disagree that we need to engage the ‘non-speedway people’ but it doesn’t have to be an either or. Seems an odd thing to moan about - I think it was a good way of doing it and built a little bit of excitement in the week running up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaizer said:

Yeah if Berwick could get Jorgensen to change his mind I'd fancy you big time to win the league, if have to settle for a Gap or similar signing then maybe play offs at best. Happy with the Glasgow side but wouldn't say it's strongest team I've ever seen and as always be down to luck and injuries

Not the strongest Glasgow Team on paper over the last few seasons,could be plenty improvers and certainly looks entertaining.Might struggle away though.

Just now, Fromafar said:

Not the strongest Glasgow Team on paper over the last few seasons,could be plenty improvers and certainly looks entertaining.Might struggle away though.

I would challenge that. I think the seven Glasgow have lined up are the strongest they’ve had in a good while. Reasons to be confident. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

I would challenge that. I think the seven Glasgow have lined up are the strongest they’ve had in a good while. Reasons to be confident. 

Wouldn’t disagree,I’m basing it on the previous Team being established riders,whereas this Team is depending on improvement in up and coming riders.Exciting Team IMO.

5 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Stronger than start of last season imo. Brennan step up from wells, Hume got more improvement than sedgeman and basso at worst on a level with Sam, although on Danish form would be better. Need to get Connor more meetings, NL or premiership to keep him active and should improve a fair bit too. Don't think it's a rye house with woofy on a 3, or king's Lynn with batch at reserve level of team, but should be there or thereabouts

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Stronger than start of last season imo. Brennan step up from wells, Hume got more improvement than sedgeman and basso at worst on a level with Sam, although on Danish form would be better. Need to get Connor more meetings, NL or premiership to keep him active and should improve a fair bit too. Don't think it's a rye house with woofy on a 3, or king's Lynn with batch at reserve level of team, but should be there or thereabouts

Connor should be in the Armadale Devils team

• Like 3

13 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

Ok but what about supporter retention too? I don’t disagree that we need to engage the ‘non-speedway people’ but it doesn’t have to be an either or. Seems an odd thing to moan about - I think it was a good way of doing it and built a little bit of excitement in the week running up. 

Excitement? If that counts for excitement, good luck. It's not an odd thing to moan about. It goes to the very core of the future of speedway in the UK, at least in terms of league racing. Every club needs more (new) supporters. Putting on a self-indulgent show doesn't go anywhere near doing achieving that aim. 

24 minutes ago, FromBendThree said:

Excitement? If that counts for excitement, good luck. It's not an odd thing to moan about. It goes to the very core of the future of speedway in the UK, at least in terms of league racing. Every club needs more (new) supporters. Putting on a self-indulgent show doesn't go anywhere near doing achieving that aim. 

But it surely doesn’t hurt it? You sound an absolute hoot. 

9 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

Connor should be in the Armadale Devils team

friday nights would be the problem for connor at the dale maybe oxford could fit him in 

1 hour ago, JanAndersen said:

But it surely doesn’t hurt it? You sound an absolute hoot. 

There's too much 'amateur hour' about British speedway which is supposed to be a professional sport. Sends totally the wrong message; or, in fact, any message at all to those it needs to reach. Monarchs are not alone in all this self-praise of their  'innovative thinking' when all it shows is a weak and poor marketing strategy.

16 minutes ago, FromBendThree said:

There's too much 'amateur hour' about British speedway which is supposed to be a professional sport. Sends totally the wrong message; or, in fact, any message at all to those it needs to reach. Monarchs are not alone in all this self-praise of their  'innovative thinking' when all it shows is a weak and poor marketing strategy.

Speedway Fans - we need to move forward not do the same old things

also speedway fans - why did that club try something new surely a wee article on their website would have sufficed 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, gmuncie said:

Speedway Fans - we need to move forward not do the same old things

also speedway fans - why did that club try something new surely a wee article on their website would have sufficed 

In my original post, in which I criticised Edinburgh, my ire was directed at the club for not addressing the key issue of reaching potential new fans. All they were doing was talking to existing fans where, in fact, "a wee article on their website would have sufficed", as long as social media was used to support. In effect, they have not moved forward and nor has any club, as far as I can see, in addressing the issue.