British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, FromBendThree said:

In my original post, in which I criticised Edinburgh, my ire was directed at the club for not addressing the key issue of reaching potential new fans. All they were doing was talking to existing fans where, in fact, "a wee article on their website would have sufficed", as long as social media was used to support. In effect, they have not moved forward and nor has any club, as far as I can see, in addressing the issue.

Sounds like they all need to sign you up as their commercial manager. Another marketing expert who has all the answers.

It was a team reveal. Why would anyone who is not a speedway fan be remotely  interested in that? 

Edited by AndyPresley
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

Connor should be in the Armadale Devils team

Have to disagree with that, there is no benefit for Edinburgh developing Glasgow’s riders. The Devils have been brought back to help develop and improve riders with the view to them progressing into the monarchs side. 

Connor has impressed me a lot and do believe a season at NL will bring him on massively, hopefully he can get fixed up somewhere else.

I reckon we’ll see a few returning faces from this season, gutted to see Archie move to Belle Vue but Woolley, Phillips and Rothery could all be back along with Willie Lawson and the Millar brothers.

2 hours ago, FromBendThree said:

In my original post, in which I criticised Edinburgh, my ire was directed at the club for not addressing the key issue of reaching potential new fans. All they were doing was talking to existing fans where, in fact, "a wee article on their website would have sufficed", as long as social media was used to support. In effect, they have not moved forward and nor has any club, as far as I can see, in addressing the issue.

I think the reaction to the way Edinburgh presented the 2022 shows you it was well received so I suspect you’re in the minority in your view thankfully. Not sure why we’re bothering with race suits either - will do nothing to attract newcomers……..

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AndyPresley said:

Sounds like they all need to sign you up as their commercial manager. Another marketing expert who has all the answers.

It was a team reveal. Why would anyone who is not a speedway fan be remotely  interested in that? 

Exactly my point, if you look through the thread. A team reveal can be straightforward. Be creative, inventive, innovative  and come up with content which will get a buy-in from non speedway fans. It was not time well spent by Edinburgh and all the other teams who have done similar things.

15 minutes ago, Edin03 said:

Have to disagree with that, there is no benefit for Edinburgh developing Glasgow’s riders. The Devils have been brought back to help develop and improve riders with the view to them progressing into the monarchs side. 

Connor has impressed me a lot and do believe a season at NL will bring him on massively, hopefully he can get fixed up somewhere else.

I reckon we’ll see a few returning faces from this season, gutted to see Archie move to Belle Vue but Woolley, Phillips and Rothery could all be back along with Willie Lawson and the Millar brothers.

Yes fair point. We shouldn’t stop the development of talent just because it won’t directly benefit Edinburgh Speedway however.

Just now, JanAndersen said:

I think the reaction to the way Edinburgh presented the 2022 shows you it was well received so I suspect you’re in the minority in your view thankfully. Not sure why we’re bothering with race suits either - will do nothing to attract newcomers……..

Yes, well received by Edinburgh fans but the message did not reach the hundreds of thousands of non-speedway fans who live within easy reach of the track. They need to think about growing their business.

1 minute ago, FromBendThree said:

Exactly my point, if you look through the thread. A team reveal can be straightforward. Be creative, inventive, innovative  and come up with content which will get a buy-in from non speedway fans. It was not time well spent by Edinburgh and all the other teams who have done similar things.

But why can’t they be creative when it comes to the team reveal? I must be thick because I’m totally missing your point. It’s not an either or situation in my head. 

Just now, FromBendThree said:

Yes, well received by Edinburgh fans but the message did not reach the hundreds of thousands of non-speedway fans who live within easy reach of the track. They need to think about growing their business.

They do that too but very wisely closer to and during the season. 

• Like 1

I doubt that announcing the team members at the beginning of January for a season that won't start till April could ever have had any appeal to non-speedway fans no matter how different or glitzy you made it or where you presented it.

It's purely aimed at those with an interest in the team.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

But why can’t they be creative when it comes to the team reveal? I must be thick because I’m totally missing your point. It’s not an either or situation in my head. 

Exactly. I don’t get the point either. I enjoyed the reveal and it will have been well received by Edinburgh supporters. Why should the promotion ignore their existing fan base by delivering the expected or the norm and who is to say that was a waste of Edinburgh’s time?

Their reveal was not a marketing opportunity, but some supporters will take literally any opportunity to shoot down the sports’s promoters. There are lots of people on this forum trying to convince others that they are knowledgeable in marketing and promotion, but I doubt many have any experience in this area.

I for one am convinced that promoters are not idiots as many would like you to believe.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, FromBendThree said:

GB are world champions and not a peep on BBC SPOTY. Have a pop at the top of the pile. They didn’t get their message across to BBC and millions of non speedway fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Endeavour said:

GB are world champions and not a peep on BBC SPOTY. Have a pop at the top of the pile. They didn’t get their message across to BBC and millions of non speedway fans.

They didn't get it on SPOTY but they did get it on BBC Breakfast and quite a lengthy piece to. Team GB got their message across.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JanAndersen said:

Team reveal doesn't need a great deal of creativity when your are talking to your own fans. Just tell 'em what the team is. 

Reserve the creativity/skill for reaching a new audience. What Edinburgh did and others is the wrong focus.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Edin03 said:

My question would be are Phillips, Woolley or Lawson ever going to ride champ again? 3 guys who are in late 20s/ 30s n never gone beyond that level. Obviously need these guys in the league but 3 in a team is hardly developing riders for the team IMO. Plus when greaves retired none of aforementioned were given a job instead brought Edwards up from the south coast.

No doubt improvement in Millars in particular was huge over the season but I thought we were past not signing him cause he rides for Glasgow now?

2 hours ago, Jaizer said:

My question would be are Phillips, Woolley or Lawson ever going to ride champ again? 3 guys who are in late 20s/ 30s n never gone beyond that level. Obviously need these guys in the league but 3 in a team is hardly developing riders for the team IMO. Plus when greaves retired none of aforementioned were given a job instead brought Edwards up from the south coast.

No doubt improvement in Millars in particular was huge over the season but I thought we were past not signing him cause he rides for Glasgow now?

Danny Phillips (berwick asset )and Tom Woolley are not Edinburgh assets but shouldn’t matter who assets they  are it’s about giving them race track time  did they not also have Leon flint and Kyle Bickely in there teams a one point I think  it’s still just a Glasgow/Edinburgh thing 

Edited by mac101