British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, HGould said:

I remember going to a Scunthorpe track that was an athletics track in the 70s a d one with a double decker bus as a stand with Paul Evitts in the 80s...or is my mind truly gone? 

What?????? I think you've lost your marbles!!! ;)

Just kidding :t:

In the 70's, we used to run at Quibell Park, a 400m running track with shale added for speedway. Outside of this was the banked cycling track. Up above this was the metal barrier viewing area. We had a grand stand of about 800 seats, underneath was the changing area for multi sports & toilets. O the same level but to the rear was the café.

In the 80's, we moved just off a circle near the steelworks to Ashby Ville. A spare bit of land was provided by the council for Speedway which was very primitive by standards with a double decker bus as a stand. To the west, behind the small trees & to the south was our council run football pitches of which there were about 11-13 in use in this area.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cookiefan said:

Livingstone not in Edinburgh, no chance of a track in Edinburgh

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

My geography skills are pretty much non existent I'm afraid. I do well to find my house again after a day out! lol ;)

Armadale is about 12 miles west of Edinburgh along the M8 but North side. Livingstone is about 4 miles nearer to Edinburgh but on the South side of the M8.

Bit puzzled as to how Edinburgh are so confident of this being ready next Spring when they haven't got planning permission yet.  Lots of hurdles still to negotiate surely

Sorry, given what's happened with Reading and Swindon in recent years, I'll believe it when I see it

I would've made the track 1m bigger than Glasgow, just so they could say "we're bigger than Glasgow" lol!

If worse comes to worse & track & stadium won't be ready for Apr 2023, they could always enter into the NL only, with only 8 home meetings needed (approx) could start the season in June / July?

Edited by szkocjasid

7 hours ago, MattB said:

Bit puzzled as to how Edinburgh are so confident of this being ready next Spring when they haven't got planning permission yet.  Lots of hurdles still to negotiate surely

Sorry, given what's happened with Reading and Swindon in recent years, I'll believe it when I see it

That’s the spirit

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, HGould said:

Wasn't there talk of a track at Southampton? 

Would IOW be an option for a season? 

Could Wimborne be an option as it supports a big Grass Meeting. 

Think Wimborne would be a 99% no.

Annoying as would so suit me.

I don't think Edinburgh would want to re-locate 460 miles for 1 season LOL.

10 hours ago, MattB said:

The difference is the West Lothian council actually want speedway, that makes a big difference. plus i think the fate of armadale could have been predicted 4 or 5 years ago so things have happened in background.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

That’s the spirit

Don't get me wrong.  I wish them well with the project and I'll be delighted to have egg on my face when the tapes go up on Edinburghs first match in the stadium.

But getting planning permission, sufficient funding AND constructing the place all before next Spring?  Seems a little ambitious.

As I say, believe it when I see it

39 minutes ago, MattB said:

Don't get me wrong.  I wish them well with the project and I'll be delighted to have egg on my face when the tapes go up on Edinburghs first match in the stadium.

But getting planning permission, sufficient funding AND constructing the place all before next Spring?  Seems a little ambitious.

Stage 1 may be track construction only with everything else being work in progress in future years. With a blank canvas, getting the track shape right should be priority 1 as it was at Belle Vue and not Leicester. Perhaps a change from the Armadale or Powderhall shape is on the cards.

3 hours ago, MD said:

Stage 1 may be track construction only with everything else being work in progress in future years. With a blank canvas, getting the track shape right should be priority 1 as it was at Belle Vue and not Leicester. Perhaps a change from the Armadale or Powderhall shape is on the cards.

Plan is to have slightly shorter straights and longer wider bends with some banking. 

like a mini belle vue you could say. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MD said:

Fair enough, but even a very basic stadium would need planning permission, which is generally known to involve reams of red tape.  Look at Belle Vue, which took almost ten years from the plans being unveiled and the first meeting and the opening night that almost never happened.

2 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Plan is to have slightly shorter straights and longer wider bends with some banking. 

like a mini belle vue you could say. 

A 'Babybel'? ;)

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, MattB said:

Fair enough, but even a very basic stadium would need planning permission, which is generally known to involve reams of red tape.  Look at Belle Vue, which took almost ten years from the plans being unveiled and the first meeting and the opening night that almost never happened.

Redcar, was up and running , in 16 weeks.

7 hours ago, MattB said:

I thought the same re the NSS..

However, lots of leg work had gone in previously, and Dave Gordon and Chris Morton had very much got the right level of people within the council completely onside....

When you have the right contacts supporting you 100% then it can be surprising how quickly the wheels can turn..