British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Shearer09 said:

What happens if they have to build a 1-7 on budget are you going to sit in your house loving it winding Poole supporters up as well just like you want to with Newcastle because we might be run on a budget but it’s still good to see speedway no matter what the team is! 

Yeah, he was out of order on the Newcastle thread yesterday I thought. Obviously boring on the Peterborough thread ;) Seems to enjoy other clubs getting into trouble. Sad. 

Just now, lisa-colette said:

Yeah, he was out of order on the Newcastle thread yesterday I thought. Obviously boring on the Peterborough thread ;) Seems to enjoy other clubs getting into trouble. Sad. 

Do you really think Poole are in trouble or just in negotiations for a cheaper rent surely they will still run even if the rent can't be changed?

• Like 2

Time to give Poole council a nudge I believe. Nothing wrong with making sure the council know the fans are worried about the leaseholder. A short and clear message that Poole fans are a little worried that the leaseholder is asking for ridiculous rent increases when it is not prepared to run any sports themselves would suffice. This guy is leader of the council.

Drew.Mellor@bcpcouncil.gov.uk 

I sent this short message.

Dear Mr Mellor, 

I am hearing rumours that there is an issue at Poole Stadium and the continued use of the stadium by Poole Pirates Speedway, due to the lease holder trying to increase the rent by an amount far beyond the regular annual  increase. Whilst all businesses are struggling at this difficult time, for a lease holder to try and exploit the situation is frankly unacceptable. The lease holder seems unfit to hold the lease, considering all it does is charge for the car park and offer nothing else. What benefits does it offer the people of Poole? It does not offer any sports at the stadium. If it were not for the speedway the stadium would be classed as obsolete. 

The speedway is extremely popular with the people of Poole, Bournemouth and surrounding areas and the crowds have held up well at a time when covid has been a hard felt issue. It brings kudos to the town, brings in fans from other clubs who spend money in the area, and the team has a reputation as being winners. Now is the time to back our club, stop these nonsense demands from the leaseholder and make sure the sport continues and goes from strength to strength in future years.

With kind regards and a Merry Christmas,
 Steve Shovlar
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, lewy said:

Do you really think Poole are in trouble or just in negotiations for a cheaper rent surely they will still run even if the rent can't be changed?

Matt first mentioned this rent issue in the meeting vs Brum on August BH Mon and now we are in Dec, so slightly worrying how long it is taking. But maybe he is just standing his ground more than other people would? A poster earlier did mention that it is a case of crossing the t's and dotting the i's. Hope that is correct!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Matt first mentioned this rent issue in the meeting vs Brum on August BH Mon and now we are in Dec, so slightly worrying how long it is taking. But maybe he is just standing his ground more than other people would? A poster earlier did mention that it is a case of crossing the t's and dotting the i's. Hope that is correct!

The meeting v Birmingham was on the Sunday before the Bank Holiday….It was the only meeting I was able to attend this year :t:

8 minutes ago, scottyfan said:

The meeting v Birmingham was on the Sunday before the Bank Holiday….It was the only meeting I was able to attend this year :t:

Ah yes, my mistake, I meant Sunday, don't know why I put Mon lol. Thanks Scottyfan! :D:t:

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Cos you are talking BS. Try sticking to facts, thanks! :t:

The Irony here!!! 

51 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

The Irony here!!! 

I see you didn't disappoint!

I might get things wrong but I don't intentionally give out wrong information.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

We all know the Poole lineup bar perhaps the number 7. we are going to be challenging at the top as usual, guaranteed a playoff berth and if we steer clear of injuries, have a great chance of retaining our title. Other clubs spending a fortune in an attempt to buy the title might find they are beaten by 7 riders, riding as a team with Middlo orchestrating from the pits.

Plus a grandstand full of passionate fans cheering on the team. Come on you Mighty Pirates!

Other clubs spending a fortune to buy the title.

Because three number one's come cheap.

Because bringing two rider's over from Australia and putting them up in a guest house comes cheap.

Signing one of top rated young British riders was done on the cheap?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BassoontheGasso said:

I'm not winding up Newcastle fans, Newcastle fans are just getting wound up.

And no because unlike Newcastle Matt Ford will actually build a decent budget side.

You quoted you are going to sit in your house and wind the Newcastle supporters up! My point is teams may struggle with cash I’m not saying Poole will as they are a well run club but to slag peoples teams for being weak is pathetic. I tell you now I’d watch any team at brough park every Sunday just to get to watch speedway and the riders would get my full backing good or bad. Embrace it yourself enjoy it good or bad don’t just sit behind a phone or computer slagging clubs because it could easily happen to the team you support one day. And believe me it’s not a nice feeling going to your last meeting last season to support the club you have followed since 1992 thinking it was the end forever. I’ll have the weak team any day no problem. 

Edited by Shearer09
Spelling
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, gmarsbar2 said:

Because bringing two rider's over from Australia and putting them up in a guest house comes cheap.

Add in bringing over regularly the next global 'four point superstar' who would invariably go on to heat leader standard very quickly...

What Matt Ford knew though was that if not challenging for honours then crowds dipped quite significantly, and sponsor's deals became less valued, hence speculated to accumulate, but with a fair degree of calculated 'certainty' of success given the teams he put together..

However he also realised that when the 'global brands' stopped riding over here he would be better served dropping down a division, being successful which provided 'decent crowds' and happy sponsors, and paying out top league riders 2nd Div pay scales, (and maybe a bit more?), but no longer paying out full Div One money...

He has always ran Poole as a stand alone business which has had to make money and fair play to the guy for doing so..

You could argue that when you throw over a couple of hundred thousand of 'disposable cash' at your hobby, in such a tiny sport, it really isnt any sort of achievement even when you win something...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, gmarsbar2 said:

No they don’t come “cheap”. They come within the budget of what the club can afford, considering the fanbase size and sponsorship level. 

Bringing over 2 Aussies is no different in the scheme of things. They both live at Middlos, so have to pay rent and keep to him.

Signing a “top rated” but not proven yet young Brit is no more expensive than any other British reserve. They get paid on points scored. And being at Poole means they get paid what they are owed, on time.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

No they don’t come “cheap”. They come within the budget of what the club can afford, considering the fanbase size and sponsorship level. 

Bringing over 2 Aussies is no different in the scheme of things. They both live at Middlos, so have to pay rent and keep to him.

Signing a “top rated” but not proven yet young Brit is no more expensive than any other British reserve. They get paid on points scored. And being at Poole means they get paid what they are owed, on time.

Glasgow own their own stadium (no rent), have numerous high profile sponsors involved including the stadium itself sponsored by Peugeot, they have their own merchandise which for this season I believe is being made by superdry, the Tigers den used to open every day for food, and they have loyal fan base most of whom have been there since the very dark days prior to the takeover. You also have 0 clue what glasgows average attendance is based on 1 visit on a freezing November midweek night and 0 clue what was made by the streaming passes. So your Petty remarks hold no gravitas in reality. Oh and btw if we're successful will cost us more money seen as more wages and no financial reward for winning leagues or cups. Just proving how stupid your comments are 

I wouldn't normally bite but since it's Christmas there you go

16 hours ago, BassoontheGasso said:

Get back to the ironing board Lisa.

That's sexist  :nono:

We don't want any of that on here.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, chris4gillian said:

That's sexist  :nono:

We don't want any of that on here.

Perhaps he meant 'drawing' ?

• Haha 2