British Speedway Forum

13 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Richard Lawson is a very good speedway rider, but entertaining he is not. Not quite a gating tart but in 3 seasons think can count on 2 hands number of passes he had after 2nd bend

Although a far higher level in his prime, wasn't Bjarne Pedersen slightly in that mould? How many times did he lead from the gate and was almost impossible to pass, but not quite in the Holder/ Ward league at coming from the back. I'm not comparing like for like but there is as much skill to gate and stay there, sure his points hauls will overcome a slightly less exciting rider.

1 minute ago, gazzac said:

Although a far higher level in his prime, wasn't Bjarne Pedersen slightly in that mould? How many times did he lead from the gate and was almost impossible to pass, but not quite in the Holder/ Ward league at coming from the back. I'm not comparing like for like but there is as much skill to gate and stay there, sure his points hauls will overcome a slightly less exciting rider.

No absolutely he's a class act and you expect double figures any meeting he's in, but he's got his way of doing it and doesn't take any unnecessary risks.

Yeah bjarne is another in that mould. Helluva rider but you're rarely going to leave the meeting raving about him. Whereas Noddy, Darcy, Shane Parker (to name just 3) had you on edge of your seat most races

Shane Parker? Not in the same league as Bjarne. 
Bjarne a class act. Won a GP, solid as a rock and in his prime was a very big hitter. Yes he could gate but he could also pass with ease. Top man and hope he gets a massive turnout for his testimonial in a couple of months time. Fully deserved. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Bjarne a class act. Won a GP, solid as a rock and in his prime was a very big hitter. Yes he could gate but he could also pass with ease. Top man and hope he gets a massive turnout for his testimonial in a couple of months time. Fully deserved. 

My point was based on styles not abilities.

I'm also reminded of a televised meeting where bjarne was riding against Poole, heat was stopped on lap 3 and was re-run. Turbo twins openly laughed in referees face at his explanation that bjarne could have passed them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Poole P&P  is on 25th March at 1pm for media, invited guests, sponsors and season ticket holders. On track practice from 3.30pm.

To me, this is a completely wasted opportunity. Media, guests, sponsors and season ticket holders only. Why? We are not in the luxurious position that can afford to separate. It’s a rare season opener marketing opportunity - why not try and sell it to all that have an interest - nothing to lose, only potential gain. If we really want to promote then bloody promote it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Bjarne was superb, amazing gater but could he pass, oh yes he could, i remember him getting 22 points at Arena Essex once, what a performance, absolutely top rider and a really nice guy too, always had time for a chat.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

To me, this is a completely wasted opportunity. Media, guests, sponsors and season ticket holders only. Why? We are not in the luxurious position that can afford to separate. It’s a rare season opener marketing opportunity - why not try and sell it to all that have an interest - nothing to lose, only potential gain. If we really want to promote then bloody promote it. 

Previously other fans have been let in for the on-track practice. This may also be the case this season  however there may be a restriction on numbers imposed by the stadium management. 

I'm at the stadium tomorrow so I'll enquire.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Previously other fans have been let in for the on-track practice. This may also be the case this season  however there may be a restriction on numbers imposed by the stadium management. 

So am I 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Richard Lawson is a very good speedway rider, but entertaining he is not. Not quite a gating tart but in 3 seasons think can count on 2 hands number of passes he had after 2nd bend

And 36 next month, you wonder how many seasons Poole might get for their money.

42 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

he may not even fit into our team next season because of averages .or he may get a better offer elsewhere :t:

58 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I expect the fee would reflect that. 

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Let’s face it,probably not a lot off money will change hands,it usually never does in speedway.Lawson will have to watch his average though.!

15 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Its confirmed that there is a restriction on numbers attending P&P day, but the media - BBC TV South and regional newspapers in particular - will give it strong coverage.

Also watch this space for further info..............

• Like 1
  • Sad 1