British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, kevin bass said:

Think some people are stuck in the 70's/80's when greebo was a term for a person who liked heavy rock music, much like being called a headbanger i suppose, funny thing is im sure Lawson had actually had his hair cut short last yr compared to how long it used to be a couple of yrs back, he can't win with some people coz if he had it shaved off he'd then he called a skinhead:P

Alternatively, it's Nanny Ogg's tomcat, described as looking like a fist with fur ... from 'Discworld'.:D

1 hour ago, ray c said:

it is only shovlar using it:t:

I remember him calling the very likeable BBC sports presenter Clare Balding a 'fat lesbian' on here a few years ago.  Disrespectful and offensive.  That's his manner unfortunately.

And the modern meaning of a 'greebo' is someone who is unkempt and dirty looking.  Certainly something which Richard Lawson is not.

greebo

/ (ˈɡriːbəʊ) /

noun plural greeboes
an unkempt or dirty-looking young man
Edited by chris4gillian
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Ryan555 said:

Yeah he made no effort using old machinery and just pulled up if he didn’t make the start. In my opinion his attitude stinks,  you really wouldn’t think he’s a British champion that’s for sure ! 

Didn't have a problem with him at Sheffield last year

25 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

I'm sure Prem is further up the list of priorities ;) Not that I blame them for it of course, especially if they are getting rides abroad. 

1 hour ago, The Third Man said:

Yeah and that’s what was more annoying he averaged nearly a point more a league higher !

4 minutes ago, Ryan555 said:

Yeah and that’s what was more annoying he averaged nearly a point more a league higher !

It's the guarantees that's killing it. First I knew it them was Harris with the stripes. Clearly lacked motivation he had in premiership, seems common place now

1 hour ago, chris4gillian said:

I remember him calling the very likeable BBC sports presenter Clare Balding a 'fat lesbian' on here a few years ago.  Disrespectful and offensive.  That's his manner unfortunately.

And the modern meaning of a 'greebo' is someone who is unkempt and dirty looking.  Certainly something which Richard Lawson is not.

greebo

/ (ˈɡriːbəʊ) /

noun plural greeboes
an unkempt or dirty-looking young man

Yeah she's certainly not fat!;):rolleyes:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Third Man said:

Maybe using his decent machinery,going be what has been said regarding his riding for Scunny.

Just come back on here and was rolling with laughter. The term wasn’t meant to seriously offend. I used the term as someone with long hair who likes bikes and rock music. There were loads of greebo about in the past and I have never heard the term used for unkempt people. 

Now I remember why I don’t post on here regularly anymore. Say a word slightly unPC and it is sure to offend some fart. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Just come back on here and was rolling with laughter. The term wasn’t meant to seriously offend. I used the term as someone with long hair who likes bikes and rock music. There were loads of greebo about in the past and I have never heard the term used for unkempt people. 

Now I remember why I don’t post on here regularly anymore. Say a word slightly unPC and it is sure to offend some fart. :D

Those of us of a certain age would not only agree with the term not being offensive, but would have been quite flattered by it. 

Its a generational term and one from a pre PC age when we tended to be more laid back and less offended by everything in general. 

A time that benefitted from no social media or mobile phones and if you had a phone that didn't have a party line you were considered quite posh lol. 

As for Lawson many of us had hairstyles like his back in the day and it was the norm

Time to move on. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Could try and post on other threads where they're not so fickle.  :t:

44 minutes ago, HGould said:

Those of us of a certain age would not only agree with the term not being offensive, but would have been quite flattered by it. 

Its a generational term and one from a pre PC age when we tended to be more laid back and less offended by everything in general. 

A time that benefitted from no social media or mobile phones and if you had a phone that didn't have a party line you were considered quite posh lol. 

As for Lawson many of us had hairstyles like his back in the day and it was the norm

Time to move on. 

Steve would simply be happy to have any hair!!! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So P&P tomorrow, weather looks fine.

Followed by REF quiz night and memorabilia auction from 7.30pm with several riders present.

Not forgetting Piratecast Live this evening at 7pm with Danny King as special guest.

Edited by Skidder1