British Speedway Forum

9 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I'll say it again - its not how you start its how you finish!!  We didn't get Basso til end August in 2021 but still did pretty well prior to that.

I would wager that the Fords have their eye on someone similar to bring in if required mid-season - in any case it keeps the starting 1-7 on their toes - whoever they maybe?;):t:

If it's the team we all think then I am pretty happy with it. I have no problem with having Drew Kemp at reserve. 

Skidder any clues on the time frame for announcements as we have gone past the 'within the month' that Dan Ford said in early Dec! ;)

16 hours ago, stevehone said:

so how it was in 80s?

I went to Poole regularly in the 70's but not again until comparetively recently so I didn't see when or what changed.

Poole Town were still at the stadium when I went and the dog track is still as I remember it, so what changed?

Were the dog & speedway tracks widened making the centre green too small for the football pitch?  I'm guessing the pitch used to meet the regulation minimum size back in the day?

The Poole side seems a similar build to our team last season. The 3 heat leaders and the Cook brothers chipping in with 4/5 each should win you most matches. I can understand the doubts with Drew as sometimes he can struggle but trust me, you will not be disappointed. He’s a great young lad with a lot of talent, hopefully he can find some consistency this season and push on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

I went to Poole regularly in the 70's but not again until comparetively recently so I didn't see when or what changed.

Poole Town were still at the stadium when I went and the dog track is still as I remember it, so what changed?

Were the dog & speedway tracks widened making the centre green too small for the football pitch?  I'm guessing the pitch used to meet the regulation minimum size back in the day?

The speedway track was changed considerably in 1995/96 IIRC, I went a couple of times in the early nineties and while it was a fast and spectacular track it was very narrow with little room, its much wider now. I assume the football club vacating allowed the changes to happen.

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

I'll say it again - its not how you start its how you finish!!  We didn't get Basso til end August in 2021 but still did pretty well prior to that.

I would wager that the Fords have their eye on someone similar to bring in if required mid-season - in any case it keeps the starting 1-7 on their toes - whoever they maybe?;):t:

Also on Kemp perhaps some forget he won 2 races in the KOC semi at  Poole where he beat Basso in 2 races. Paid 9 from 6 races pretty good considering he scored 6 in his first 3 rides (both wins). Also he scored 6 paid 7 in his first 3 rides in the first leg. Again he beat Basso so that was 3 times he beat Basso over the 2 meetings. Maybe Danny/Matt saw something in those meetings alone irrespective of him being still a promising young rider. Not everyone matures at the same level. The fact he has been signed also by Wolves and in POL (Gdansk in Lge 1 as an U24 rider) means that potential is still big in many eyes.

As I finish, looking at some of those last meetings he also scored 9 from 5 rides against Glasgow and 8 plus 1 from his first 4 rides also in another late meeting V Glasgow. Add in a 9 plus 3 bonus from 5 rides against Redcar.

For sure October looked a decent month for Kemp. If he can continue in that form I think Poole have a decent signing and let's not forget he was only 19 in August, so still plenty of time on his side. For sure he needs to improve at tracks like Glasgow but its important we win our home matches and keep where possible within 6 points in the away matches where possible. Hopefully with some wins at the weaker teams.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

Why are you posting something from 2020 ?

because its a troll...or in this case a troll now on ignore

• Haha 1

Just read Oxford announcing last 2 riders at 7 a.m Thursday.

May well give us a better  idea of our number 7 IF they announce one of Ablitt/Mulford.

5 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Just read Oxford announcing last 2 riders at 7 a.m Thursday.

May well give us a better  idea of our number 7 IF they announce one of Ablitt/Mulford.

With the Kent connection already at Oxford I'd take a stab mulford going there?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trackerman48 said:

Why are you posting something from 2020 ?

He is stirring as usual, can change his name but still the same old **** (stuff, I mean stuff!!)

Edited by lisa-colette
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

The speedway track was changed considerably in 1995/96 IIRC, I went a couple of times in the early nineties and while it was a fast and spectacular track it was very narrow with little room, its much wider now. I assume the football club vacating allowed the changes to happen.

It was mid way through the 1990 season….The Track was moved out to where the dog track is/was because the football pitch had to be widened as Poole Town had gone up a league and the pitch had to be wider to meet the league requirements.

It was all done in a week or just over too. :t:

8 minutes ago, scottyfan said:

It was mid way through the 1990 season….The Track was moved out to where the dog track is/was because the football pitch had to be widened as Poole Town had gone up a league and the pitch had to be wider to meet the league requirements.

It was all done in a week or just over too. :t:

I think we are talking about different track alterations. Poole Town left after the 94-95 football season and the track changes I'm referring to were done in time for the 1996 speedway season and were possible because there was no longer a need for a football pitch on the grass infield meaning the white line was taken in.